My computer has a gremlin inside it

I have a strange problem with my computer. Basically, about half the time I start it, the screen is stretched too large. I’ve taken the monitor into the shop and it was ok. I’ve taken the computer into the shop and it was o.k., so I suspect there’s some compatibility issue between the two.
If anyone can suggest some possible solution, that would be great, but at the end of the day, I’m all thumbs when it comes to this sort of thing. so, can anyone recommend a good person/company to come to my home and take a look at it? If possible, let me know what the price would be, assuming that no new parts are needed.

thanks

[quote=“ziggy stardust”]I have a strange problem with my computer. Basically, about half the time I start it, the screen is stretched too large. I’ve taken the monitor into the shop and it was ok. I’ve taken the computer into the shop and it was o.k., so I suspect there’s some compatibility issue between the two.
If anyone can suggest some possible solution, that would be great, but at the end of the day, I’m all thumbs when it comes to this sort of thing. so, can anyone recommend a good person/company to come to my home and take a look at it? If possible, let me know what the price would be, assuming that no new parts are needed.

thanks[/quote]

Perhaps your video drives havent loaded properly. I’d go and reload your video drivers.

I assume this is an older style tube monitor? Your refresh rate may be set too high such that your monitor sometimes won’t sync. Try lowering this a few levels. Right click on your desktop, select Properties, click on Settings and then the Advanced button and then the Monitor section (the advanced menu might be different depending on your video card). Most people are fine with anything above 72hz, so try lowering it to that and see if it helps. If it’s an intermittent problem, then the checks you had done early may not have been enough to find the problem, so it’s still possible either your card or monitor is busted.