My computer is acting up

I came back from vacation and tried to turn on my computer and the screen just said “No Signal”. It gave a 2 second long beep sometimes when I repeatedly tried to turn it on.

I opened up my computer and dusted it off. I opened the clips on the processor fan (I’m running a Celeron 2.33 I think) and then closed them again. It worked.

Then again today it didn’t work and I opened and closed the clips and it worked again.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Obviously you have a hardware problem.

The No Signal bit just means your monitor is on but not receiving anything from the computer.

Having a bust processor fan shouldn’t stop you from booting up, only when the cpu overheats after a few mins should this be a problem. If you take the fan off will the pc start up? If so, probsably a new fan will save the day. They’re cheap anyway, nt2/300.

Otherwise maybe the cpu isnt seated quite right in the slot. You could tahe the cpu out, check the pins, check the motherboard cpu slot and put back in securely. Remember to put a thin layer of thermal paste on the cpu die (clean first with alcohol) before putting the fan back on. Just make sure u know what you’re doing before you pass the point of no return ie. print out help guides etc.

Or take it to yr local computer mart I imagine someone will fix it for a few hundred…

hope that helps

Have the same problem with an Asus motherboard. Exchange of motherboard did not help. Hmmm… OK I will check CPU and fan mount. Did that before though. My problem started after vacation as well, strange.

[quote=“kaniggit”]Obviously you have a hardware problem.

The No Signal bit just means your monitor is on but not receiving anything from the computer.
[/quote]

Tru, and the first thing I thought was that it was just co-incidence. That the monitor cable was loose, and fiddling with the processor fan happened to move said cable by chance.

However, “no signal” would also appear if there is a problem booting up.

Resetting your BIOS could help. You know how to do that?

That said, if fiddling with that fan works every time, then perhaps the answer lies there.

Did you know that the two-second beep is trying to tell you something? It’s called a beep code. Have a look here for an example of one motherboard’s beep codes:
gen-x-pc.com/beep_codes.htm

Unfortunately each motherboard is different, so if you could let us know what one you’ve got, we might be able to give you more info.

Modern CPU and system fans have a speed sensor in them, and some BIOSes will not start to boot if the fans are not spinning. Usually there is a “PC Health” menu inside the BIOS that controls this function, and can also show you the current status of the fan(s).

My number one compuer lasted 3 days in Taiwan, in an illegal apartment sitting on top of a house without permission and having even the lights flickering from unstable power. It burned.

This one lasted 1 year. Wife thinks I should not use 2 computers and the stereo in my room, or power may be unstable.

Well, the electricity here is rather … moody it seems

My number one compuer lasted 3 days in Taiwan, in an illegal apartment sitting on top of a house without permission and having even the lights flickering from unstable power. It burned.

This one lasted 1 year. Wife thinks I should not use 2 computers and the stereo in my room, or power may be unstable.

Well, the electricity here is rather … moody it seems[/quote]

Buy a power stabilizer or 2. When I was in Indonesia I had 2. They only cost about $35US each.

1. If you’re savy enough to be replacing your CPU fan, you should also know that it’s a good idea to use some heatsink compound when you put it back on(not being cocky, but rather simply reminding). Current CPUs need all the cooling they can get and the copmpound helps in creating a larger surface area in contact with the coil the helps dissapate the heat from the CPU.

2. Try disconnecting all the drives and restarting that way. It may be a read error or failing drive that is causing the issue. Simply reconnect and restart after you reconnect each drive.

3. If possible, borrow a video card from a friend’s computer and swap with yours.

4. It may also be the pwer supply is on it’s way out.

If you get fed up just give me a ring and maybe we can try it over the phone.

09 26 76 36 64

-Nam

Well, the electricity here is rather … moody it seems[/quote]

Buy a power stabilizer or 2. When I was in Indonesia I had 2. They only cost about $35US each.[/quote]

Yes I will do that. Although my wife make a “do you blame my country?” thing out of it :smiley:

In new apartment electricity is more stable, but I do not trust it. Also an electrician installing an additional wall socket had said: this socket has two outlets, but you should only use one at a time :astonished:

[quote=“irishstu”]
Did you know that the two-second beep is trying to tell you something? It’s called a beep code. Have a look here for an example of one motherboard’s beep codes:
gen-x-pc.com/beep_codes.htm

Unfortunately each motherboard is different, so if you could let us know what one you’ve got, we might be able to give you more info.[/quote]

Yep. That is the first thing to check.