My country doesn't allow me to be stateless!

Are you not free to say or sign anything you want?

“I renounce my own country’s citizenship. Here’s the passport, do you want me to sign anything?” There you go, citizenship renounced.

The fact that your own country does not accept your renunciation doesn’t alter the fact that you have gone and done it. You’ve done what the TW gov’t wants, and if a government that doesn’t recognise them doesn’t accept it then what’s the big deal?

I had an uncle who renounced his British citizenship back in the days when you had to do that to get an American passport. Despite having renounced his own country he still got a new passport a few weeks later.

[quote=“smithsgj”]What possible advantage is there to becoming an ROC citizen???
It can’t be anything to with residence, because you guys (Bassman, STV) have that right anyway through marriage. I just don’t get it.[/quote]

I got my citizenship whilst I was single… and under older rules living here and doing things on an ARC ( Prior to PARC ) was different than today.

I still can’t own the land where I live with my wife. But if I take her name then I can become a Tsou Tribe aboriginal and buy land reserved for aboriginals ( that’d be me :smiley: )

Alot of rules and laws in Taiwan still need to be changed and modernized. I feel very sorry PeiAn that you must go through this.

Can you give me any reason other than convenience why the rules should be changed?

I am currently helping 3 other foreigners thru the process of becoming ROC nationals… people do so for their own reasons, I don’t ask why.

Of course you wouldnt…because then people would start asking you why

People are welcome to ask why. There’s a whole thread about that on here somewhere. Of course some people think I just have a fake ID card.

As an ROC citizen I don’t need a work permit, can work in any occupation, and own land and companies in my own name. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

When I became an ROC national the new ARC’s that you have today didn’t exist back then. No PARC or JVRC. That’s why I became an ROC national.

I’m a PARC holder, but I can definitely see the advantages of citizenship–access to loans, credit, and the many, many services that require you to have an ID. Other than a vestigial sentimental attachment to my native country, there aren’t many reasons I can see why I shouldn’t become a citizen.

The one that is probably holding me back at the moment is the unpleasant possibility that under a Ma presidency, Taiwan is likely to slide into China’s embraces and become unfree. That prospect is very unappealing

[quote=“Satellite TV”]
As an ROC citizen I don’t need a work permit, can work in any occupation, and own land and companies in my own name. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

When I became an ROC national the new ARC’s that you have today didn’t exist back then. No PARC or JVRC. That’s why I became an ROC national.[/quote]

And if the PRC assumes authority here, what status do you think you’ll have then?

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”][quote=“Satellite TV”]

When I became an ROC national the new ARC’s that you have today didn’t exist back then. No PARC or JVRC. That’s why I became an ROC national.[/quote]

And if the PRC assumes authority here, what status do you think you’ll have then?[/quote]

The same as all other ROC nationals or would we be PRC nationals. Who knows? But then a lot of people on ARC’s might find they have more troubles as well. Citizenship of a certain country aint gonna save your arse if the shit hits the fan.

I’m not going to worry about ROC PRC at all. I choose to live here and have to accept the consequences of doing so. What are all those who are married to ROC nationals going to do ? Flee? If you’re so concerned about a war then you should sell up now and rent. Send your money overseas every month ( I Do )

I live for the present. The future will come in good time. I live in a place that won’t be targeted by bombs and missiles. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Yes, and for that reason I’m helping a few other PARC holders thru the process of getting ROC nationality. Now that people know it can be done people are deciding what’s best for themselves.

[quote=“Satellite TV”]
The same as all other ROC nationals or would we be PRC nationals. Who knows? But then a lot of people on ARC’s might find they have more troubles as well. Citizenship of a certain country aint gonna save your arse if the shit hits the fan.[/quote]

It will help you in being evacuated. And you’re [i]not[/i] like other ROC nationals…I think you’re probably the wrong color.

We’ve never bought a house here and my Taiwanese wife has no desire to stay.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

[quote=“Loretta”]Are you not free to say or sign anything you want?

“I renounce my own country’s citizenship. Here’s the passport, do you want me to sign anything?” There you go, citizenship renounced.

The fact that your own country does not accept your renunciation doesn’t alter the fact that you have gone and done it. You’ve done what the TW gov’t wants, and if a government that doesn’t recognise them doesn’t accept it then what’s the big deal?

I had an uncle who renounced his British citizenship back in the days when you had to do that to get an American passport. Despite having renounced his own country he still got a new passport a few weeks later.[/quote]

Is this true, can anybody verify this? I can do say and sign anything I want to and then just run back home with my tail betwen my legs?

Last year I had gone home to visit and while I was there I thought I would just check to se what the Canadian government required I do about taxes and such. I was informed I was no longer a resident of Canada and was not required to pay taxes. However, the banks got ahold of this and even though I have substantial funds they canceled all my credit cards. I was told as I was no longer a resident of canada I was not allowed to have Canadian issued credit cards.

Seems like there is alot of grey area here.

Yes Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, and Brits can renounce and resume thereby becoming dual nationals. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

US citizenz just get tossed out with all the old boat anchors though. :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Agnetha (the blonde one) sang in Swedish before she joined ABBA, she had a hit with “Jag Var Sa Kar” in 1968[/quote]
Does that translate as “How’s It Hanging Grandma”??

[quote=“shifty”][quote=“Loretta”]Are you not free to say or sign anything you want?

I had an uncle who renounced his British citizenship back in the days when you had to do that to get an American passport. Despite having renounced his own country he still got a new passport a few weeks later.[/quote]

Is this true, can anybody verify this? I can do say and sign anything I want to and then just run back home with my tail betwen my legs?

Last year I had gone home to visit and while I was there I thought I would just check to se what the Canadian government required I do about taxes and such. I was informed I was no longer a resident of Canada and was not required to pay taxes. However, the banks got ahold of this and even though I have substantial funds they canceled all my credit cards. I was told as I was no longer a resident of canada I was not allowed to have Canadian issued credit cards.

Seems like there is alot of grey area here.[/quote]

about renouncing US or original citizenship…they say that they will enforce the law next year…so right now sometimes you can keep original and get dual citizenship sometimes have to renounce your original citizenship? depends on the situation or something…is that true…maybe if you are ABC then that might be the case but if you totally foreigner then not?

The laws for obtaining ROC nationality are that you must renounce your nationality on your ARC.

In the case of children born to ROC nationals overseas, they do not need to renounce their foreign citizenship to become an ROC national because they gained citizenship at birth. (In some cases the father needs to be an ROC national because the nationality law previously only granted citizenship based on paternity.) In other words, they are not gaining citizenship, they are just getting it officially recognized.

nice thanks for clearing it up…