My dog caused a scooter accident

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Well, since you’re asking…here is what You should do.

Go to a local bakery place, get some pies, cakes, cookies, etc. in a nice box. Spend maybe NT$250-500. Have them put the stuff in a VERY Fancy bag - they will know what you want.
Do NOT take flowers.
Go to the hospital and look for family of the person you cause to wreck, well, that your dog caused to wreck. Ask to give the gift while saying “Pai Say…Pai Say”…over and over. No shit…do it.

This will go a LONG WAY towards making things easier for you.

(You don’t really need to drop your knees and cry…yet)[/quote]

When I repeated this to my wife, she laughed said “This guy really knows Taiwanese culture.”

So yeah, following TC’s advice is a must.

I wouldn’t give any money at this stage. Get a Chinese contract (I’m not sure where, but I think you can get them at the 7-11 or online) that you both sign and agree with on the terms of payment for injury, hospitalization, missed work etc etc. I had an accident with a girl last year and she brought along a contract like that that we both signed along with two witnesses whereby I basically said I was at fault and agreed to pay X amount for various things (all in all it cost me around 40k - she also broke her collarbone and had to have an operation and I had to pay for two months income, we agreed on 10k a month). Each time I paid for something like getting her scooter fixed or a trip to the hospital we both signed on the contract that that part had been taken care of.

Take responsibility, but don’t be taken for a ride.

6000, yeah right! When my husband broke his leg playing sports in Taiwan, painkilling shots were 50 each. I know that costs have gone up in Taiwan since about 6 or 7 years ago, but COME ON! :laughing: She sees a foreigner and is trying to plant the seed to start money grabbing. Be careful what you believe.[/quote]
Um. NT$6000 is about normal for a morphine drip.

6000, yeah right! When my husband broke his leg playing sports in Taiwan, painkilling shots were 50 each. I know that costs have gone up in Taiwan since about 6 or 7 years ago, but COME ON! :laughing: She sees a foreigner and is trying to plant the seed to start money grabbing. Be careful what you believe.[/quote]
Um. NT$6000 is about normal for a morphine drip.[/quote]
Sure, but you don’t need a morphine drip for a broken collarbone unless:
a. You’re five,
b. You’re a pussy, or
c. You’re trying to extort a laowai.

I wouldn’t give any money at this stage. Get a Chinese contract (I’m not sure where, but I think you can get them at the 7-11 or online) that you both sign and agree with on the terms of payment for injury, hospitalization, missed work etc etc. I had an accident with a girl last year and she brought along a contract like that that we both signed along with two witnesses whereby I basically said I was at fault and agreed to pay X amount for various things (all in all it cost me around 40k - she also broke her collarbone and had to have an operation and I had to pay for two months income, we agreed on 10k a month). Each time I paid for something like getting her scooter fixed or a trip to the hospital we both signed on the contract that that part had been taken care of.

Take responsibility, but don’t be taken for a ride.[/quote]

so you did this after she was released from the hospital or during?

Um. NT$6000 is about normal for a morphine drip.[/quote]
Sure, but you don’t need a morphine drip for a broken collarbone unless:
a. You’re five,
b. You’re a pussy, or
c. You’re trying to extort a laowai.[/quote]

i think i’m with you on this one, although i can’t confirm if it was a morphine drip:

What is a Morphine Drip Used for

1 Answer Result
One may ask, what is a morphine drip used for. A morphine drip is used for extreme pain. A person may receive a morphine drip after a major surgery, if they are terminally, or if they are receiving painful treatments. Someone who is terminally ill may require a morphine drip to control pain that the medical community may be unable to remove by other means. Many patients that have recently had major surgery are given a morphine drip because the patient has control over how much pain medication is administered. The patient can hit a button to release more morphine as needed.

A few years ago I had a morphine shot that cost me all of NT$10. No way it cost NT$6000.

Guy is going to have surgery. Wife signed up to have the drip attached 24/7 for the duration of the hubby’s stay in hospital, which after surgery we do not know how long it will be. On ething is a one time shot, other a line with monitor and stuff. Yes, be cautious but not paranoid. easy does it.

The wife doubtlessly got the morphine drip from the hospital. Therefor it will be clearly stated on the final bill. Simple. And yeah, she’s taking you for all she can get, not because you’re a laowai but because she can. She would do the exact same thing if it was a local’s dog. Its the name of the game.

I spoke to her after the accident and said I would take responsibility, as it was my fault. That was verbally done.

Then she went to the hospital and we met later with her witness and mine (wife - to ensure I wasn’t being railroaded or lied to regarding what was written in Chinese, because some of the characters they use for numbers etc aren’t the usually everyday characters you use). Everything was spoken about and agreed upon by both parties, and then written by hand on the contract and signed by all of us. That day she brought the receipts for the first hospital visit, and I took her scooter to my friend’s shop to be fixed (her scooter guy quoted a very high price and I knew my mate could do a better job for cheaper and wouldn’t cheat me).
Make sure you agree on everything there should be two copies, and everything that you pay for should have a receipt and should be signed off as soon as you pay. If they don’t agree to those terms (because the contract also ensures they can’t sue you later for injuries or anything they claim resulted from the accident), screw them. :2cents:

i’m wondering if i should discuss this tonight with the wife or not. seems kind of rude to take some cookies as a peace offering and then start talking about the money. but on the other hand, i would like her to know that i’m not a sucker and don’t expect to get taken for a ride. i’ll be super pissed if i come to find out that he’s been put into a personal room and received more of these 6,000 shots or drips if they’re not really necessary.

kind of a hard balance to play here. i’m thinking i need to take a taiwanese friend to help me with being a little more firm with the situation. from my perspective, they might have the mindset that i’m a waiguoren english teacher and so they’re taking every little luxury that the doctors are offering.

Hong bao, that covers the cost of scooter repair, lost wages, pain and suffering, part of the hospital bill and … paisay, I’m a dumb foreigner … that should have known that sometime this would have happened by not leashing my dogs, because as good as your dogs are, it will happen, they will go stray. Like small children, never trust them of not running into traffic or taking off.

Some goodies can put in and the cost of visiting him at the hospital, and future transport to the hospital for check ups … relatives (wife, mother, father) to visit him.

But don’t let them take advantage of you.

Believe me I know, I had a stupid accident last year which could have had strong consequences, but thanks to my wife’s and friends’ actions it turned out minimal, some financial loss.

[quote=“djm409”] and another part of me says he’ll see a waiguoren and think he hit the jackpot.
![/quote]

The guys banged up pretty bad, shoulder and rib injury, pumping pain killers into him and is going to have surgery. I doubt he is thinking he hit the jackpot.

[quote=“Mick”][quote=“djm409”] and another part of me says he’ll see a waiguoren and think he hit the jackpot.
![/quote]

The guys banged up pretty bad, shoulder and rib injury, pumping pain killers into him and is going to have surgery. I doubt he is thinking he hit the jackpot.[/quote]

Not really talking about the injured guy. I’m talking about the family and any friends who are counselling them on how to handle the situation.

[quote=“Mick”][quote=“djm409”] and another part of me says he’ll see a waiguoren and think he hit the jackpot.
![/quote]

The guys banged up pretty bad, shoulder and rib injury, pumping pain killers into him and is going to have surgery. I doubt he is thinking he hit the jackpot.[/quote]
I thought the OP said he had a broken/fractured collarbone and bruised ribs. C’mon, that’s hardly banged up pretty bad. Mild surgery is often needed to set a broken collarbone (which is, btw, the easiest bone to break in your body). Nothing serious. If those are really the extent of his injuries then he’s milking it IMVHO.

Also, to be injured at all, how fast was he driving? I suspect he’s more than a little to blame himself. Perhaps he should have kept his eyes on the effing road. :2cents:

[quote=“bismarck”]
Also, to be injured at all, how fast was he driving? I suspect he’s more than a little to blame himself. Perhaps he should have kept his eyes on the effing road. :2cents:[/quote]

A good question, you think a court here will rule in the OPs favor? Your advice earlier on getting a form and each party signing off on what needs to be done is sound as a pound. Seriously, to the OP, do it now, especially as it contains a clause you cant be sued later, from the sounds of it the poor guy may have complications and ongoing difficulties, if you have the chance to sign and close everything now, do it.

For your reference , a quick check on google in the uk, forget about personal injury, , its 3,500 to 8000 pounds (100k to 400k nt roughly) compensation (just for the collar bone), if we look at the US it becomes obscene amounts, no idea on how its viewed here.

[quote]A good question, you think a court here will rule in the OPs favor?[/quote]Not a chance in hell. There is simply no evidence that the rider was being careless and the OP has already admitted to the police that his dog caused the accident.

Excellent advice from Bis about getting everything ironed out in writing. Given the amount of money the OP will have to pay, it only makes sense to follow legal procedure. :thumbsup:

Define not really necessary. I have a fairly high tolerance for pain. However, I don’t like pain, and if something can be done to alleviate pain, I’ll take it. Pain can be very stressful.

Define not really necessary. I have a fairly high tolerance for pain. However, I don’t like pain, and if something can be done to alleviate pin, I’ll take it. Pain can be very stressful.[/quote]

All the more stressful if some idiot’s dog ran out in front of you.

Guys, also remember Taiwanese bosses are not very undestanding when it come sto employees being sick or injured. They expect people to rise from their graves and work overtime until they drop dead. This guy could easily lose his job, so do not assume the family is plain greedy. They could be bracing for the worst to come.