My dog isn't skinny, your dogs are just FAT

Seems to me when i head through the park most dog owners have really fat dogs…at least that’s my general observation walking around the park in my area. The other day the family mart girl said my dog was skinny…now i’m wondering if my dog is skinny or that Taiwanese people think dogs are supposed to be fat.

What are your thoughts?

I have a very healthy husky (which is possibly on the slim side, but still within normal weight range), and every time I take her out I hear at least one person so, “Oh, so skinny!” It’s ridiculous.
I think its because most dogs here are at least slightly overweight, so most people have a skewed notion of what is ‘normal/healthy,’ especially considering some breeds are just naturally skinny (I’m glad I’m not walking a greyhound around… haha)

both of your dogs are probably fat compared to the one I picked up last year, I could see every bone in her body and even after months of feeding she was still skinny, we think she must have been part wippet

[quote=“Hwozdecki”]Seems to me when i head through the park most dog owners have really fat dogs…at least that’s my general observation walking around the park in my area. The other day the family mart girl said my dog was skinny…now I’m wondering if my dog is skinny or that Taiwanese people think dogs are supposed to be fat.

What are your thoughts?[/quote]

I get the same sorta thing from others in the neighborhood (including the girl at the family mart) while walking my dog around and I was sorta wondering the same. It can be embarrassing when people (especially the older lady

A dog kept on the skinny side of ‘average’ lives a much longer, healthier life than those who tend to be overweight.

Even bags of commercial processed dog food carry these guidelines now: a dog should have a visible waist; its ribs should not be visible, but they should be easily felt. That’s it.

My dogs are near perfect weight, slightly on the side of skinny. I get those same looks and comments. When I take a newly rescued and grossly underweight dog for a walk, I get nothing but scornful looks from passersby. I try to explain, but no one seems to get it. Ho hum. :s

I think thats interesting because I got a lot of positive comments from people who figured I probably wasn’t responsible for the way my dogs looked when I first picked them up(although my Tugo was forced to wear a pink hand crochet sweater for the first few months I had her due to the fact that she had no way of keeping warm, everyone though she was cute. Hmmm, maybe there is a corelation between cuteness and clothing. If you guys want to find more homes for dogs just put them in a pink sweater and they will appeal to a vastly larger audience, of course not neccessarily the people who you want to give dogs up to.

Yeah, that is something that comes up a lot - making the dogs look cute. But we decided at th very beginning that we did not want to encourage the idea that dogs are dolls or toys, and if someone only liked the dog because it was wearing a tutu … well, as you said, we would prefer the dog to go to someone who loves him or her for herself.

That’s why I don’t wear a tutu. :sunglasses:

[quote=“Stray Dog”]

That’s why I don’t wear a tutu. :sunglasses:[/quote]

I get cute comments when I wear this…

My dog has started getting fat. She is approaching middle age. Plus I think I accidently bought puppy food last time, that might contribute. I’m going to shave off all of her hair today in preperation for summer…so she’ll look thinner soon enough :smiling_imp:.

[quote=“Mordeth”]I get cute comments when I wear this…

[/quote]

:astonished:

That is scary. I spent an afternoon with this freak! :noway:

Stray Dog is too skinny, he needs fattening up a bit.

I’ll live longer!

And, no, I don’t have worms.

I found my dog just before the start of last winter. He was about 6 months old, skinny bones jones, and had much shorter fur at the time… sorta looked like a labrador mix puppy with his light fur…

His fur is a bit reddish and darker now and he’s got a huge fluffy tail and all this extra scruff around his shoulder / neck area – sorta looks like a wannabe fox or something… I thought he would turn out to look more like a short hair lab but thats not what happened… Costco food musta did something to him…

He’s beginning to shed a lot now… which was another thing I didnt expect. Never really thought of it, but shaving sounds like a good idea. Just hope his skin doesnt get too irritated byt the sun since I live in one of those Ding Lou Taiwanese Rooftop Penthouse dealios. Can dogs use sunblock?

From http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dhair.html

[quote]
… it is probably important to use sunblockers if hair coats are shaved very close to the skin, especially when dogs have white or light colored hair coats – or to limit exposure to the sun until there is some hair regrowth. I have really only seen a few dogs with obvious sunburns and none with severe sunburns but it is almost certainly best to error on the side of caution with sun exposure.[/quote]

It seems to be debatable practice:

http://www.healthypet.com/faq_view.aspx?id=17

[quote=“Stray Dog”]From http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dhair.html

[quote]
… it is probably important to use sunblockers if hair coats are shaved very close to the skin, especially when dogs have white or light colored hair coats – or to limit exposure to the sun until there is some hair regrowth. I have really only seen a few dogs with obvious sunburns and none with severe sunburns but it is almost certainly best to error on the side of caution with sun exposure.[/quote]

It seems to be debatable practice:

http://www.healthypet.com/faq_view.aspx?id=17[/quote]

It says to leave some fur to protect from the sun…and I just shaved her to the skin…darn.

Oh, well…fur might protect from the sun…but while indoors it wouldn’t be benificial in any way (with regards to keeping cool) and she’s indoors more than she’s out.

Plus after shaving off all her fur we found a few trouble areas on her skin that she’ll need to see a vet about…for that alone it’s worth shaving them sometimes…IMHO.