My first Chinese NY in Taiwan

Also, I’m supposed to spend New Year’s Eve with my Taiwanese friend’s family. What kind of gift is it customary to bring? I know they usually give money, but is that appropriate for me? If so, how much?

No don’t give money. Just bring a bottle of wine or some cookies from 7-11. You can probably get some hello kitty cookies for 200nt. Just bring something for everyone to enjoy. It doesn’t matter how much you spend. What matters is that you bring something.

It is so true it hurts. I want to get out of it but I don’t have an excuse.

Holy shit, the government made a step in the right direction. Its too good to be true.

This is my first time in the 5 years I’ve been in Taiwan to stay here over the holiday. I’m kind of looking forward to the peace-and-quiet. Let all the city dwellers go visit gramma in the south. Buh-bye. Have a safe trip.

No interest in visiting the traditional chaos, i mean markets, before the holiday, either. Just not into crowds. Costco last Sunday was bad enough.

Looking forward to some serious time in front of the sofa, or computer, munching popcorn or pizza or whatever. If the weather cooperates, go biking a little. Hopefully the roads around here will be deserted.

leisha001 wrote:

I would suggest visiting a local fruit shop and getting a basket of fruit to bring. They often have holiday baskets or gift boxes of apples, peaches, etc. all ready for this. I have done this and it worked well.

CraigTPE wrote:

This will be my first CNY in Taipei in about 3 years. I’m interested in seeing what things will be like this year. My first CNY eve a dozen years ago I happened to be around central Taipei where all the bushibans are around dusk. (At that time it was more traditional for people to be inside before dark.) I was amazed after living in the crowded city for a few months to experience it absolutely deserted. I mean you could literally bowl in the streets. For the rest of the holiday the town was peaceful and quiet (save for the firecrackers) for the rest of the holiday till the last day when you could literally feel the rumble start again as traffic built up and people returned.

Since then, whenever I am in Taipei during CNY eve I always drive around the city again at dusk just to get the flavor of the city at this time. But the last couple of years I was here I noticed that there was much more traffic and many more people about than in past years. I even passed by TGI Fridays and noticed that there were a significant amount of people eating there (not just westerners). I couldn’t believe that people would have their New Year’s dinner there.

As the holiday continued and it seemed more crowded than in past years I hypothesized that maybe fewer people were leaving Taipei for the holiday because now more generations had grown up here and maybe old family members in the south had died off or were transplanted to live up here with their families as they grew old. I think now more families may be staying in Taipei because the southern exodus started over 35 years ago and now, for many, there is no family to return to in the south. I think now many Taipei residents who do leave the city are doing it for pleasure trips abroad or around the island and less for visiting parents.

It will be interesting to see if this holds true again this year. I used to really love the one time of year Taipei became quiet and hope it feels that way again this holiday.

Zhengzhong is right between Zhonxin South Road -the bookstore street- and Bo Ai -the camera street. Have you seen Friday’s on Zhongxin? That’s the entrance. It was a big carnival yesterday. Go to Taipei Main Station, and then walk there.

There are buses to Dihua Street -number 518, but it is decorated and well labeled in English as New Year Market- that you can take at Mitsukoshi right across Taipei Main Station.

Nanmen would be a better choice if the rain keeps up. It is indoors. Just go to CKS MRT Station, there is an exit right next to it.

But a nice fruit basket, some flowers maybe. Be generous as they will feed you tonight so that you won’t need any substenance for the rest of the week. :laughing:

If there are young kids in the family (ie pre-teens), it’s nice to take a red envelope each with say 200nt in it for luck. At least have it ready in case the family gives you some lucky money.

Uhm - wow. This is like looking into a crystal ball. My future for the next few days, except maybe the scotch part. Everything else identical, even down to the scooter brand and size. I was going to throw in a dog or two to share the misery. Maybe I’ll just stay home. :frowning: Thanks for the post, Enigma. Saved me some chilled bones, anyway.

Hi, you’re funny … I didn’t know that there is the “strike-through” function. At first glance, I thought it’s very funny. Happy Chinese New Year.
P.S. by the way, I feel your pain …

Just to update everyone, it was as expected - my first CNY in Taipei - lots of fireworks which is annoying at 3am when you’re trying to sleep (even though we played MJ until about 2am).

Streets were relatively deserted. Today, we were able to drive through (or rather chauffeured by family) to Dansui (when people are supposed to be going to the wife’s family side for dinner). Ate at this famous dessert place - no English name that I can see… had Boston Cheesecake and iced latte. Also tried the supposedly famous ‘ba zhang’… it was ok.

The wife took me to a couple of Thai massage parlours… man, they were cheap $999NT for two hours and one of the best massages I’ve ever had. Took all the kinks out of me. Excellent stretching and scalp massages to boot.

Definitely a good experience… my wife and I are heading back to the States on the 16th. Hope everyone’s CNY was as ‘uneventful’ (as far as peaceful and relaxing is concerned) as mine.

my god this is so true. except I like the paper boxes for the bones. gotta spit bones somewhere, and it is pretty environmental!

Be thankful if you get those boxes. Sometimes they don’t give you anything in which to dispose of bones and shells.

I hear ya man, I hear ya. Spent the last 4 days eating mushrooms in front of this baby:

Bring on the rain, baby!

Of course you have a place! On the table! If you’re lucky you may get a paper napkin to put on the table first. :wink:

When in Rome Taiwan…

What an ugly beast … supposed to be art?

I’m a little disappointed.

I was looking forward to the deserted streets and peace and quiet everyone was talking about. The streets of Xindian were still complete cluster-f##ks, especially Zhongzhen Rd. Nothing different. Most of the little shops were closed, but cars everywhere, still double parked and driving dangerously. The parking lot at the Carrefour shopping center was overflowing, as is usual on a weekend. While the traffic on the Shuiyuan Hwy outside my window doesn’t reach weekday rush hour levels, it’s certainly been heavier than usual weekend days.

Maybe the weather has me in a bad mood… :raspberry:

EDIT: Oh yeah, and had dinner at a friend’s house on New Year’s Eve. Although it was slightly better than described earlier there was lots of room-temperature, store-bought food covered with plastic wrap. When we were done eating, people sort of gravitated to the TV or to the computer to see funny You Tube videos. Not a bad evening, decent food, good people, but pretty close to what you described.

I went to my grandparent’s house for CNY. All it really was is go in, say my mandatory greeting, and then they just sorta watch TV all day while the maid prepares lunch/dinner/etc. Next day same thing, my sister came in, I got my red envelope and stuff, then I decided to leave early since more relatives were coming and they are spending the night, and that means its gonna be crowded, since I hate sleeping on couches and watching more TV waiting for the day to end, I just left and went back to Danshui where it’s somewhat crowded near the MRT but deserted near Dankang university…

I like it. It matches all my outfits!

At least it’s not raining today… (touch wood)

Still cold though though.

We won’t be bitching when it’s 40 in the shade, 100% humidity. Only 3 months away.