My first dictionary

myfirstdictionary.blogspot.com/

A Sample:

Bit of a bummer for poor old Pete.
Edit. I get it now after looking at the link. Pretty amusing. :laughing:

Brilliant, after looking at the blog I began to wonder if the author was also painting the illustrations as well. Either way a hell of a lot of work and a very interesting take on the whole idea.

If you like that, you should look at Uncle Shelby’s ABZ Book, first published in book form in 1961.

[quote]E is for egg.
See the egg.
The egg is full of slimey gooey white stuff and icky yellow stuff.
Do you like to eat eggs?

E is also for Ernie.
Ernie is the genie who lives in the ceiling.
Ernie loves eggs.
Take a nice fresh egg and throw it as high as you can and yell “Catch, Ernie! Catch the egg!”
And Ernie will reach down and catch the egg.[/quote]

[quote=“shifty”] I began to wonder if the author was also painting the illustrations as well.[/quote] Nope, he doesn’t paint them. There’s a linking interview with the blogger.

[quote]I really like how wholesome the pictures are…are they really from a “first dictionary”? Because I’m sure I had a flashback from my childhood just looking at them.
Yes, they’re genuine illustrations from an old book. I’m expecting to get sued any day now! The truth is I can’t draw at all, so I have to rely on existing artwork. My plan is to use up all the pictures from this particular book, which seems to be from the 50s, then try and find one from the 70s and do an All-New My First Dictionary![/quote]

[quote=“cranky laowai”]If you like that, you should look at Uncle Shelby’s ABZ Book, first published in book form in 1961.

[quote]E is for egg.
See the egg.
The egg is full of slimey gooey white stuff and icky yellow stuff.
Do you like to eat eggs?

E is also for Ernie.
Ernie is the genie who lives in the ceiling.
Ernie loves eggs.
Take a nice fresh egg and throw it as high as you can and yell “Catch, Ernie! Catch the egg!”
And Ernie will reach down and catch the egg.[/quote][/quote]

Shel Silverstein deserves his own thread. :laughing: Quite an amazing guy.

[quote=“Matchstick_man”][quote=“shifty”] I began to wonder if the author was also painting the illustrations as well.[/quote] Nope, he doesn’t paint them. There’s a linking interview with the blogger.

[quote]I really like how wholesome the pictures are…are they really from a “first dictionary”? Because I’m sure I had a flashback from my childhood just looking at them.
Yes, they’re genuine illustrations from an old book. I’m expecting to get sued any day now! The truth is I can’t draw at all, so I have to rely on existing artwork. My plan is to use up all the pictures from this particular book, which seems to be from the 50s, then try and find one from the 70s and do an All-New My First Dictionary![/quote][/quote]

yea I caught that as well he said in another thread that he just sort of lets the pictures dictate what the entry will be rather than write the entry and then try to find the picture.

Either way it is a great slant on a familiar idea.

Bravo

He works in a library, so I’m sure even when he exhausts the current book(s), there will be plenty of other inspiration.

Great site. Laughed my arse off.