My flatmates are stuck looking after 2 cats for 2 weeks... How do I pay them back?

I’m heading out of the country and my (local) flatmates, who don’t particularly love my sometimes boisterous cats, are going to be stuck feeding them and cleaning their litter. What can I do to show them my heartfelt appreciation?

Give them a free cat. :smiley:

Seriously though, maybe give them a Hong Bao to say thanks. Or even invite them out to dinner. Or buy some movie vouchers for them.

Yeah I would always take my friends out for a couple dinners. Maybe bring them back some duty-free alcohol.

Quickly get rid of your cats upon your return and give them the proceeds of the sale?

Nah, that would backfire. Cause then they’d think, “Why did you make us take care of it if you were going to get rid of it anyway?”

If I get rid of my cats, I get rid of myself along with them! Cats is family.

Bring them back some nice 伴手禮 from wherever it is you’re going. That should do the trick.

Just be aware that it is not always the joy for them that it is for you. Gifts aren’t necessary, but dinner, for sure. Or do something for them that would really help 'em out.

My sister used to say ‘Off tomorrow, don’t mind loooking after the gang do you?’ ‘The gang’ was a completely untrained staffie cross from a rescue centre who needs 58km walks twice a day and constant attention or he yips and howls and runs around in circles on the sofa. A highly aggressive, territorial tomcat who dines at 5:30 am and razors your feet for non-compliance. He also supplements his diet with the endangered species of bat that live near my house, so the kitchen is often full of twitching, half-dead bats in the morning. And there was an old man (RIP) who could only sleep on a human chest, and if his human was on holiday, I would have to fill in. He would then urinate all over the house to inform my sister she had not been officially granted leave.

Love 'em, but they’re a royal pain in the arse. So yeah. Dinner, and pony up for summin nice. :laughing:

I have a dog, so when my friend watches him it requires a bit more work than watching cats, but I typically give him whatever the going rate is at pet hotels. Around $5000 for a 10-day trip. I usually bring him back something, too. Of course, he has to put my dog up at his house and take him for walks and stuff, so I wouldn’t give that much if it were just my roommates and they didn’t have to walk my pet.

Get them all 5 seasons of My Cat From Hell DVDs.

Have your flatmates agreed to feed them and clean their litter? I ask because many years ago in a shared apartment the owner of a rather obnoxious cat somehow assumed it would be fed and taken care of during her holiday trip, that led to a rather panicked search for a temporary home for it on the day of her departure when it was pointed out that her assumption was incorrect. I do remember it cost her a couple of thousand a day in boarding fees, perhaps present your flatmates with a hongbao of half the cost of boarding or similar or a good gift from whatever country you are travelling to. Is there any significance to them being “local” flatmates?

Wait until you get back, they might be gone and then your problems are solved. :thumbsup:

ps If your roomies tell you they took them “to live at the farm”, it’s probably BS

My cats might enjoy chasing around a raccoon for a while. What are you doing for the next two weeks? :smiley:

They’ve known for a while I was heading out but I guess I never told them the exact date. Oops. Anyway, I just casually dropped it in conversation yesterday and there were like, “Oh, that’s next week? Sure, no problem.”

I’ll try to buy them something nice, but where I’m going they don’t have edible banshouli, so it might just be duty-free whisky in the end.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]My cats might enjoy chasing around a raccoon for a while. What are you doing for the next two weeks? :smiley:

They’ve known for a while I was heading out but I guess I never told them the exact date. Oops. Anyway, I just casually dropped it in conversation yesterday and there were like, “Oh, that’s next week? Sure, no problem.”

I’ll try to buy them something nice, but where I’m going they don’t have edible banshouli, so it might just be duty-free whisky in the end.[/quote]

In any case, you can also talk to a pet sitter/another friend as backup, in case something happens -Murphy’s Law, you know.

I have four flatmates, one of whom likes the cats well enough and another of whom really likes them. I’m more worried about making sure they know how appreciative I am than anything unexpected happening.

Well here the end would justify the means.

Dude, you just got married. Time to leave the harem.

Hell yeah ! I’d dump any girlfriend before I would give up my cat.

Good thing my wife loves my cat. But if she had said its either me or the cat early in our relationship, it would be the cat.

Cats are FAMILY.

Good thing my wife loves my cat. But if she had said its either me or the cat early in our relationship, it would be the cat.

Cats are FAMILY.[/quote]

Yeah, family that will eat you alive if you have a stroke or a heart attack. :unamused:

Cats are FAMILY.[/quote]

…which is why I admire my sister’s husband. He gave up his cat for her -she’s totally anti-pets.

I will foster my niece interest in becoming a veterinarian. :smiling_imp: