My friend, the hacker

I was chatting to my mate online yesterday, only to have him send me one of my pictures, from my PC!

I asked him how the bugger he did that, as I thought he didn’t and shouldn’t have access to my PC. He said he checked my IP address, and went from there. We’re not network-linked in any way.

How did he do it? And how do I stop him, and anyone else, doing it again.

His intentions were not malicious, but nonetheless, my PC is my PC and I want it to stay that way!

Since it is illegal, I obviously can’t help you there, but it is easier than most people think. What kind of security do you have on your computer?

I’m not sure, but I believe you could start by downloading a free (and respected) firewall:

zonelabs.com/store/content/c … wnload.jsp

After that, I think the next step would be to also get a router (a hardware version of a firewall), but I’ll let those who know better than I to explain further.

Or get a Mac. :smiley:

honestly though, although software firewalls or ok, they can often cause more trouble than they solve. Get a router. They’re cheap and easy to set up and much more secure. Also, it allows you to get that second PC you’ve always wanted, and have them on the same internet account!

[quote=“Dirt Merchant”]I was chatting to my mate online yesterday, only to have him send me one of my pictures, from my PC!

I asked him how the bugger he did that, as I thought he didn’t and shouldn’t have access to my PC. He said he checked my IP address, and went from there. We’re not network-linked in any way.

How did he do it? And how do I stop him, and anyone else, doing it again.

His intentions were not malicious, but nonetheless, my PC is my PC and I want it to stay that way![/quote]

Once he has your IP address, he can scan your computer for open ports. Ports are basically little digital doorways into your computer. Every program that uses TCP/IP uses a port to establish a connection. For example, you use port 80 for http requests, port 21 for ftp requests, et cetera. These are just the default ports. You can tell your FTP program to use any port you want. (If you’re using WS_FTP, just click on the Advanced tap under Session Properties. ) Hell, you could also tell your browser to use a different port by typing in the address and putting a colon and the new port number like, “*ttp://www.anyaddress.com:anynumber” I used to run a web server through an alternate port because my service provider blocked port 80 to keep people like me from running web servers.

So anyway, your friend most likely has a program that allows him to upload and download files through any open port he specifies. Such programs are ubiquitous. If you have a router, make sure all of your ports are closed and/or hidden. Another open door to your computer is through file or print sharing. Make sure this is disabled. (Definitely get a firewall.)

Also, just have your router to “Block Incoming Requests” It’s usually enabled on default. If you have a wireless, “Disable Broadcast of SSID” is also a good thing. Makes it harder to get onto the wireless connection.

Do the “Shields Up” test at GRC.

or maybe your pc was trojaned, try reinstall your os.

Thanks, I was going to be looking for that soon. Looks like I’m all good, except I think if someone were to log onto my wireless they’d have access to my shared folders. I should probably fix that, but I don’t know why anyone would want anything there.

My HTTP and FTP ports are open, but they get routed to the *nix box that should/will be configured with security in mind.

That was fun :smiley:

You’re friend doesn’t happen to have a laptop and has been in your house has he (with WiFi)? A flash drive and access to your computer would work too.

The “Shields Up” Test came out perfect, after I installed Zone Alarm.

My mate has never been here with a laptop, and I don’t have WiFi.

He did install my OS, but like I said, his intentions are not malicious. Guess he did me a favour, by exposing my PC’s security.

I use AVG, Spybot and Ad-Aware. Is that sufficient protection and detection?

Those additions will go along way towards keeping your box secure DM.

Hey Dirt Merchant.
This friend you speak of… he wouldn’t be “Stray Dog”, would he?

http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=32412&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=files+computer&start=0

:laughing:

Since it is illegal, I obviously can’t help you there, but it is easier than most people think. What kind of security do you have on your computer?[/quote]

Depends on your OS and its settings and the country you access the hd from if it is illeagal or not. Usually when it is easy it is leagal.