My friends dog killed by underage driver

I want to share a story and tell why I think existing driving laws should be enforced, rather than toughening laws that are never enforced anyway.
My friend was walking his dog down the street when the dog was hit and killed by an underaged scooter rider who ran a red light. My friend called the police and was able to take the family of the scooter rider to court. The judge ruled that the family was at fault, but the scooter driver cannot be held accountable because he is a minor :fume: . The family cannot be held accountable because their son was acting out of their control :fume: :fume:. In short, the family was found to be at fault but nothing happened to them and my friend got no money :fume: :fume: :fume: ! The rider did not even get a slap on the wrist.
I have a few questions about this case; Is there a higher court he can appeal to? If so, where? Is it possible to have disciplinary action taken against the judge for allowing the underaged scooter driver to get away with it? It there a way to have the driver face criminal charges? He will learn that it is ok to drive a scooter while he is only fifteen years old since adults will not make him have to face the consequences of his actions.
With asinine rulings like this it is no wonder that people feel they can drive in any manner they want to in this country :raspberry:.

In the USA the parents or legal guardians have the responsibility and the blame if their charges get in shit in many cases.

Just tell them to get another dog FFS. It’s not like they are an endangered species.

The kid will end up under the wheels of a truck soon enough.

[quote=“monkey”]Just tell them to get another dog FFS. It’s not like they are an endangered species.

The kid will end up under the wheels of a truck soon enough.[/quote]

I hope so.

[quote=“monkey”]Just tell them to get another dog FFS. It’s not like they are an endangered species.

[/quote]
I see the humour in this, but really, it could have been a child who got hit.

True again and funny. But then again, who wants a dead kid, just coz the family is too lazy to take responsibility.

Laws have to be changed. Everywhere. I think, and I thinks as a mum, that if the penalty for any accident as a minor is that you will NEVER be able to drive anything in your life, children, would wait till they are 18 and above to ride vehicles and of course then they will be punished as adults. Impossible, I know. But I wish.

This makes absolutely no sense.

So a minor, simply does not get any sort of punishment, whatsoever, for whatever they do?

So if their son went and raped and killed someone…he would simply get off, as he is a minor?

I would have your friend ask an attorney.

I would also put pictures of the kid up online, talking about what a tool him and his whole family are (their pictures too) in Chinese.

Just upload it from an internet cafe so they cannot trace it back to your friend.

Sounds like typical fucked up Taiwanese law. If it was an unlicensed foreigner you can believe there would be lynch mobs on the street.

Does your friend have a lawyer in this case? He should discuss with his lawyer and ask for appealing or negotiation with the family.
Your friend can also find legal consultation and ask for suggestion from other lawyers. Local government usually have this kind of service provided.

I second that motion, get a legal eagle involved.

The police have been known to stop and ticket underage riders, but then on the flip side we have these tragedies like one i recall where two 16 or 17 year old girls riding a scoot saw a police car and attempted to get away from getting a ticket , the police gave chase, the girls sped up, right into a telephone pole killing both of them.

[quote=“Whole Lotta Lotta”]I want to share a story and tell why I think existing driving laws should be enforced, rather than toughening laws that are never enforced anyway.
My friend was walking his dog down the street when the dog was hit and killed by an underaged scooter rider who ran a red light. My friend called the police and was able to take the family of the scooter rider to court. The judge ruled that the family was at fault, but the scooter driver cannot be held accountable because he is a minor :fume: . The family cannot be held accountable because their son was acting out of their control :fume: :fume:. In short, the family was found to be at fault but nothing happened to them and my friend got no money :fume: :fume: :fume: ! The rider did not even get a slap on the wrist.
I have a few questions about this case; Is there a higher court he can appeal to? If so, where? Is it possible to have disciplinary action taken against the judge for allowing the underaged scooter driver to get away with it? It there a way to have the driver face criminal charges? He will learn that it is ok to drive a scooter while he is only fifteen years old since adults will not make him have to face the consequences of his actions.
With asinine rulings like this it is no wonder that people feel they can drive in any manner they want to in this country :raspberry:.[/quote]

The scooter rider should receive a massive fine for riding without license and 1 year ban from obtaining a license, but I don’t think your friend has a criminal case against him.

It’s like in the USA where under aged murderers get much reduced sentences.

Poor friend and dog:( Was the dog on a leash at least? I would have killed that kid right then and there. With my own hands. And screw the jerk that said just get another dog.

[quote=“jonathhank”][quote=“Whole Lotta Lotta”]I want to share a story and tell why I think existing driving laws should be enforced, rather than toughening laws that are never enforced anyway.
With asinine rulings like this it is no wonder that people feel they can drive in any manner they want to in this country :raspberry:.[/quote]

The scooter rider should receive a massive fine for riding without license and 1 year ban from obtaining a license, but I don’t think your friend has a criminal case against him.

It’s like in the USA where under aged murderers get much reduced sentences.[/quote]
The family would probably pay the fine and the scooter rider would probably just ride without a license anyway, as so many do. I have suggested that he go to the city government to get legal advise. I think the judgement is moronic and this case should be re-tried.