My girlfriend doesn't like it when I play computer games

So I admit that I casually like to play computer games/console games on my free time. I of course, do not play that frequently, and only play when I have plenty of free time.

To make a long story short, my Taiwanese GF really dislikes it when I play video games. She thinks it’s a waste of time.

Anyhow, I don’t mind never playing computer games if she strongly wants me to do so. My only question is why do Taiwanese girls strongly dislike it if guys play video games?

Is it because of the stereotypes of a frequent wang ka person in Taiwan? Is it because it’s a waste of time? Or maybe people that play video games seem very immature.

Lastly, I like to point out to her that watching TV (She watches TV all the time, A LOT of time) is just as bad as playing video games, both activities waste time, although they are both relaxing activities. She counters this by saying that TV (and this is Taiwanese TV we are talking about here) allows you to be informed of current news and that you can also learn stuff by watching the Discovery channel… That’s ridiculous, considering how the news report in Taiwan. As for the Discovery channel, I don’t think she ever would watch that.

Anyways, I just want to hear some thoughts.

Lastly, I live in America and she is currently in Taiwan. In the United States, for us Undergraduates, a bunch of us University students like to mess around on Halo 3 or the Nintendo WII. In the United States, playing video games once in a while doesn’t really mean much. Perhaps it’s just a difference in culture?

Nope, I also think computer games are retarded (34 yr-old Brit woman), so maybe not a cultural difference, although maybe an age thing for me. BUT, I wouldn’t dream of telling my guy what he should or shouldn’t do with his free time, and I do lots of stupid stuff too.

Well I’m a guy and pretty much never play games - typhoon days when I’m extremely bored are about the only times I play. My fiancee on the other hand wants to get a PS3 or PSP something.

Hmm… a lot of the women I’ve taught in class have admitted to regularly playing online games and my wife is addicted to any game with mario in it, or involves popping bubbled (bubble bobble games) and DS games, she’s not 10 she’s 30 haha! I play games sometimes coz my brother inlaw bought a PS3 and never has the time to play it (what a shame).

I also think video games is a waste of time. I drink in my free time. Some people think drinking is a waste of time. :smiley:

Why do western guys assume that if their Taiwanese girlfriend likes/dislikes something that means that all Taiwanese girls feel the same way? This thread should be re-titled “My girlfriend doesn’t like it when I play computer games”.

37 ye. old American woman, myself, and I also think video games are a complete waste of time and brain cells, but to each his own. I’d not tell my man he couldn’t play computer games as long as it wasn’t interfereing with important things, and I do other stuff that you might not like. I don’t think there’s anything particularly Taiwanese about liking different passtimes, or about GFs telling BFs what they should and shouldn’t be spending time on. Sometimes it cultural, but sometimes it’s just male/female.

Good point … especially when many foreigners here (F’ers included) complain out Taiwanese who form stereotypes based on the actions of the few retarded big-noses that they happen to bump into.

[quote=“Rabidpie”]So I admit that I casually like to play computer games/console games on my free time. I of course, do not play that frequently, and only play when I have plenty of free time.
[/quote]

Me too. But not consoles. And my “plenty of free time periods” are rare.

I see neither TV or video games as essentially a waste of time. The way I see it, what you get of any medium depends in large part of what you bring to the table. Someone can dismiss Blade Runner as a waste of time because it is a movie and “movies are a waste of time” or because he only looks at it as the story of a detective going after bad robots. (I know, I know I’m using a movie to illustrate, not a TV show.) But Blade Runner also challenges the usual conceptions of what makes an individual “human”. Now, I’m not saying that he quality of the production is irrelevant. There are movies which do not seem to generate much deep thought in their audience. However, judging what a person can get out of a specific production simply on the basis of the media by which this production is transmitted, that’s a false generalization. (That would be saying Blade Runner is a waste of time just because it is a movie.) The same applies to TV shows, even those which on the surface do not seem to favor much thinking (e.g. a sitcom).

The good news is that this reasoning applies to computer games also. Sure, you can play Grim Fandango (yeah, yeah, :beatnik:) as an adventure game but it can additionally be an occasion to reflect on life, love and death. If somebody insists that Grim Fandango is nothing but a waste of time, they either have not played it or did not pay attention when they were playing it.

There is one important difference I’ve experienced between TV and computer games. My wife plays only casual games (bejeweled and that kind of stuff) while I don’t play such games. So we do not play the same games (except for one exception, see below). On the other hand there are TV shows we both like to watch together. “Together” is the key, here. If I watch TV with my wife, we can discuss the show during commercials (when we can’t skip them altogether) or after the show. It becomes another opportunity for companionship. If I sequester myself to play a computer game, that time is not “companionship” time. While I play, I’m not with her and there is no opportunity for discussion afterwards because she does not relate to the games I’m playing. The one big exception was Valve’s Portal. That’s the only computer game we’ve both played substantially. I had her try it and then had to pry her away from my computer. :slight_smile:

Could the issue be companionship?

Yes I think that hits it on the head. ITs about companionship. You are playing with your game and neglecting HER and thats a NO NO for any girl of any ethnic persuasion.

Some girls need lots of attention. And I would say Taiwanese girls usually rank right up there with those needs.

Sorry, I was thinking that it could perhaps be a cultural factor and not an individualistic characteristic. That’s why I had worded like that. Although I do agree that I wrote the title in way that stated this opinion like a fact instead of a doubt. Sorry, I’ll rewrite the title.

[quote=“tommy525”]Yes I think that hits it on the head. ITs about companionship. You are playing with your game and neglecting HER and thats a NO NO for any girl of any ethnic persuasion.

Some girls need lots of attention. And I would say Taiwanese girls usually rank right up there with those needs.[/quote]

That’s probably the key. Yeah, since she can’t relate to video games then it’s an activity that we are not really doing together. Wow, makes perfect sense.

Thanks guys.

Good point … especially when many foreigners here (F’ers included) complain out Taiwanese who form stereotypes based on the actions of the few retarded big-noses that they happen to bump into.[/quote]

Absolutely. All of my roomates were cyberfiends, really mean players. Most of my Taiwanese friends are very techno savvy, and enjoy puttering around with games or electronic stuff.

If you ask me, not only is she expressing her honest opinion -a rare treat- but also she is also demanding more time, love and attention from you, mister. :fume: In general terms, I think Taiwanese girls demand more time maintenance than Western, and joint activities are a priority.

As to your comments about her TV habits, do not make this a war of criticism, or your relationship will fracture irrevocably.

Good point … especially when many foreigners here (F’ers included) complain out Taiwanese who form stereotypes based on the actions of the few retarded big-noses that they happen to bump into.[/quote]

Absolutely. All of my roomates were cyberfiends, really mean players. Most of my Taiwanese friends are very techno savvy, and enjoy puttering around with games or electronic stuff.

If you ask me, not only is she expressing her honest opinion -a rare treat- but also she is also demanding more time, love and attention from you, mister. :fume: In general terms, I think Taiwanese girls demand more time maintenance than Western, and joint activities are a priority.

As to your comments about her TV habits, do not make this a war of criticism, or your relationship will fracture irrevocably.[/quote]

Thats right ! Word to the wise…NEVER get between a Taiwanese girl and her TV. If it comes to you or the TV shes gonna win. Give her the remote, get another TV for yourself in the bedroom :slight_smile: Then when she joins YOU in the bedroom, she will watch what you watch in order to be together with you (mas importante por los chiquitas acqui senor). Of course you may not be able to finish that movie by this stage.

Oh and P>S> These joint activities? She will make suggestions and give you a few choices. Just do what she wants . Its easier.

[quote=“Icon”]

As to your comments about her TV habits, do not make this a war of criticism, or your relationship will fracture irrevocably.[/quote]

Why should this onus fall on Rabidpie? It seems to me he is being criticized unfairly by his girlfriend. We don’t know that he doesn’t give her love time and affection. And if he’s like me God knows watching Taiwanese TV is not an activity he can engage in jointly for more than 2 minutes and maintain his sanity.

When she watches TV, you play computer games. Fair is fair.

Give in early on in the relationship. Fight back for territory later :slight_smile:

If rabidpie is only interested in the short-term I’ll agree with you, but in the long-term putting off problems until the future is never a good idea.

If rabidpie is only interested in the short-term I’ll agree with you, but in the long-term putting off problems until the future is never a good idea.[/quote]

Well I think computer games are great when you are in your teens and twenties but when you are married, perhaps you should look into other activities?

yes its true that its good to establish good ground rules up front, but only if you are willing to sacrifice the girl.

More anti computer game bias lol. It’s just a form of recreation. What’s the big deal? For example I am married and in my 40’s, but I enjoy an occasional video game to take my mind off my drinking and high-stakes gambling :slight_smile:

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“tommy525”]

Well I think computer games are great when you are in your teens and twenties but when you are married, perhaps you should look into other activities?

[/quote]

More anti computer game bias lol. It’s just a form of recreation. What’s the big deal? For example I am married and in my 40’s, but I enjoy an occasional video game to take my mind off my drinking and high-stakes gambling :slight_smile:[/quote]

haha, not antigaming I happen to think its a great harmless endeavor as long as its not causing a problem with the other half?

:bravo:

In a war of criticism the only way to win is by Pyrrhic victory. Yeah, you won, but at what cost?