My landlord is suing me for lost property. Looking for advice

In my defense, I did include an “On the other hand” explanation of the landlord’s actions. Suing over some supposedly shabby furniture seems a bit excessive, don’t you think? Why would anyone go to such lengths when it could easily be taken out of the deposit?

Yeah, you put your point well, I really wouldn’t know, I really just can’t understand some of the behaviours I observe here. People are wound up so tight.

The whole vibe I have got from our landlord is, you are so lucky to get our place, and so lucky that we chose you and put our trust in you. Renting here appears different to the faceless market transaction it is in some other countries, it seems a little more personal.

Some of these old timers just think stuff is made out of gold.

2 Likes

I look at one apartment that was completely cluttered with old furniture, so much so that it was difficult to move around without hitting knee hobblers ~ there were 3 mismatched coffee tables in front of the TV and a book shelf freestanding in the middle of the room! I asked if some (a lot) of the furniture could be taken away and the landlord was most offended that I didn’t want to use his fine furniture that he was giving me free use of! Shame as it was a nice place otherwise.

2 Likes

For old timers things like furniture was supposed to last generations and passed down like most things back then. They just have that mentality of pre Industrial Age way of keeping everything and not throwing them away.

2 Likes

That sounds more sensible to me than throwing furniture away on a regular basis. But then I’m a curmudgeon and just young enough to not be preindustrial.

Edit: how come the bloody system keeps removing my quote of @Andrew0409 's post?

Except most things aren’t meant to last these days and use the cheapest made materials possible even for most luxury goods that’s suppose to be high quality.

Because the guy doesn’t agree, so you need to sue them. If the guy agrees, then you don’t need to sue him. Simple…

Exception from paying tax ? Only if he can prove he or his family member lives there…Maybe.

Not really.
If his total income is below a certain threshold, he is exempt of paying taxes

Yeah but not reporting income is illegal isn’t it. All income should be reported. Also taxes are usually filed as part of a household unit in my experience. Old people will get lumped on and pretend they don’t have an income and the kids can claim a rebate in each parent. .

Anyway I would subtly hint to the landlord that if he wants to be arse about the law that he shoud also have signed a contract under the law and paid his taxes. Find some mould in the wall, in the bathroom , you have pribably developed allergies and asthma and you may sue him back. It’s very easy to open a lawsuit in Taiwan… maybe it was all the furniture that was rotten and mouldy and you got sick . Offer him a wad of cash then and say this is what I have for your trouble sorry but your furniture was rotten and made me sick. You should give him some money st least to replace the shitty furniture.
Despicable two faced bastards they break the law themselves all the time ! Then whine like babies when you throw their shitty junk out thats cluttering your place.

2 Likes

I was wondering that too, until we called the tax bureau. The information we got is that if your total income doesn’t reach a threshold, you don’t need to declare anything, not even to report your income.
Unfortunately, I don’t remember what is the threshold, as this was about 4 years ago… :flushed:

But anyway, my point is that there may be possible that someone doesn’t report an income and still be within the limits of the law.

However, that’s generally not the case, so a hint could still help in most situations. Just don’t take it as if 100% of the landlords are illegal :2cents:

Firstly, an apology is an admission of guilt, so don’t do that in front of anyone who can testify to it.
The contract is the legally binding agreement between the two of you. If the items you removed weren’t mentioned at all, in terms of maintenance or not, the burden is on him to prove they existed at the time you moved in and didn’t when you moved out. It seems straightforward, but it’s going to cost you the price of a lawyer to navigate the system to that point. Look at the price he’s asking for and compare. Also, as someone said above Tsui Mama can offer advice and that would be the first place I’d start.

1 Like

Sheesh! The OP disposed of someone else’s property and your solution is to lie?

1 Like

I think he is just saying don’t admit guilt and put yourself in a situation where the other person has you by the balls legally.

But how much is he even suing for? It’s a civil case no doubt and the whole time for lawyers and loss of wage on court dates seems to outweigh anything the OP must have thrown away. I would just come to some out of court unofficial settlement and just get it over with.

Just curious…when you move out of this place will you take your purchased furniture with you? If yes, that means the landlord needs to buy replacement furniture (perhaps his previous tenants were less picky about the landlord’s furniture quality).

Where did I say lie? Neither confirm nor deny.

Fify. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Is it the best practice to change or add to a user’s words within his/her quote? It’s not really their quote anymore, though it appears to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nAfdJNooEE

Coffee Break did a great piece on this. How to not apologise.