My landlord is suing me for lost property. Looking for advice

I am genuinely curious what happened to OP.

I also wonder if he/she is Asian and/or can speak chinese. I suspect he/she is not. :thinking:

Hey everyone. OP here.

I have sought legal counsel through a free legal aid service. From what I understand, I this should be ok. Nothing too serious. Tomorrow is the court summons date where I must appear. Iā€™ll keep you all posted about the outcome. Thanks for everyoneā€™s input.

2 Likes

Hope everything went well.

1 Like

Seems like OP went to jail? :runaway:

:astonished:

The advice of legal aid = Donā€™t piss off the judge (repeated Ɨ 10)

Hi Everyone,

Long overdue update. This issue was resolved at my court appearance in January 2019. The judge threw out the case as I was not liable for the property that the landlord had left in my unit. It was not in the contract, and I had given the landlord ample notice and time to remove his property. The judge ruled that there is no obligation for this tenant to allow the landlord to use their rental properties as storage space. I am happy the issue was resolved in my favor. Was this justice? I donā€™t know. The attorney did mention that if by chance we had gotten a more hardline judge he may have held me accountable for the property I so foolishly tossed. (But allow me to reemphasize the fact that this furniture was in a very worn, and damaged and unsavory condition. I was a college student at that time, and even by my sloppy standards these items were not acceptable.

I will admit, my actions were perhaps unwise. My advice to anyone that may find themselves in a similar situation: document and communicate clearly. Leave a paper trail, and take photos.

Someone posted above asking if was Asian or spoke mandarin. To answer both questions in one four characters, ę˜Æę··č”€å…’

Anyway, thanks for everyoneā€™s input.

Allā€™s well that ends well, I guess.

2020, what a year huh?

14 Likes

The landlord wanted to use the place you were paying to rent as storage for his crappy furniture and didnā€™t even take the time to make sure the lease agreement was solid. Then he had the gall to sue you for furniture that sounds like it was worthless.

Justice was served and your @sshole landlord got what he deserved. Please donā€™t apologize and call what you did foolish. You did nothing wrong. Be happy a judge here had common sense.

4 Likes

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am very happy the judge had common sense.

1 Like