My manager told me that I rarely socialize with my co-workers and displays other weird behavior

How would they even know about it?

There’s something weird about your job.

1 Like

Rampant gossiping among co-workers allowed them to find out about my pay raise?

Do not PM me.

Sorry but salary increases are supposed to be confidential. Oh you mean the girl who does the salaries has a big mouth.

1 Like

I would probably have to agree with you that HR spread the word.

OK, I won’t PM you. sorry.

There’s a reason people don’t socialize with their co-workers, unlike your friends which you chose office colleagues are most likely assholes. Still you need to pretend like they are not assholes while also considering anything you say to any one of them could likely be spread around the office. Office politics is a big charade.

Having grown up in the west being straight forward and direct is more the cultural norm.

2 Likes

I never revealed anything about my salary to any of my co-workers. I’ve always brought my pay slips home.

Wasn’t implying you did (if you were replying to me) just pointing out getting on with coworkers here (the title of the thread) needs some diplomacy, tact and care.

No worries! Sorry, I’m not trying to create a misunderstanding. I just added a detail to help support my suspicions that somebody at HR must’ve revealed the pay raise to other co-workers.

My typical response to statements like “I don’t socialize” is “They don’t socialize with me.”

1 Like

Unless they know exactly what you make, you can always say even with my 10k raise, I still make less than everyone here.

due to my manager’s NT$10k pay raise last year, I make somewhat more than many people who have worked at the company longer than I have.

The bottom line is that your sales are down or your boss thinks your under performing, sales matter. If your performance is good your going to be the golden child, and no one can say anything.

Generally yes you should socialize with your colleagues and turn up to work events etc. You don’t need to go out every Friday night but you do need to have a good relationship with your colleagues, otherwise you going to get a knife in the back. More so when your in a weak position and they can smell blood.

3 Likes

As long as it’s going along with the boss they are.

2 Likes

The other account manager is also in the same position. However, the manager did not have that talk with him as he did with me.

I got my company’s biggest client and super charged the sales, hence in my bosses eyes I can do no wrong. But if my sales declined he would throw me under a bus.

You said your in charge of your largest client hence, in his eyes you need to take responsibility for this. Your relationship with you co workers is poor, and they want to blame you for the under performance in sales.

It’s simple can you improve your company’s sales if yes then carry on, if no then move on. Your a native English speaking Taiwanese, plenty of opportunities out there.

I understand what you mean. The other account manager also works with our biggest client. However, the manager did not have that talk with him as he did with me.

The trick of surviving in an asian company as per my view is you have to have the talent of making everyone around u feel that they are above you but somehow u have to perform better than them and taking advantage of it. This way everyone is happy. Tell your boss you will seriously consider his viewpoint (But make your own decision). Go and talk to youe coworkers more. Tell them jokes. Buy lunch for them. show them your hobbies. Maybe even go out with them but i feel just more talking will do and make sure you sugar them. Make them feel important. Make them feel they deserve more than they are getting (Even if u dont agree with it inside). That way everyone around u wants you around them. Your boss loves you. Because truth is locals will always be jealous of the foreigner who is earning more than them. Its just a hard truth.I just go around telling all my coworkers “Oh u deserve a raise u do so much” "you are so good at it. " . You do that everyone will be on same page as you. Happens everywhere. So just keep in mind what i said. remember in coorporate culture, Its the image that matters.

4 Likes

Could it be that our company is losing quite a bit of sales, so many people have a lot less to do? Therefore, my manager is trying to get me to leave to save money for the company?

Thats why i told u sugar everyone around u. Let them know u are important to them by doing good which i believe you already are. So make them more happy by being friendly. Looks like your boss may not be completely sure to make u leave otherwise he would say so directly. But if u think he is planning it then try everything u can to not let that happen.

1 Like

Sugar no one. Fuck that. Tell them to grow up and stop acting like children.

7 Likes