My manager told me that I rarely socialize with my co-workers and displays other weird behavior

Sounds like a real dick. Maybe time to find a new boss.

3 Likes

All Taiwanese bosses act like dicks. Almost like confucian ethics demand they be one.

2 Likes

In my short time in the corporate world, how your colleagues and bosses view you is more important than the performance many times. This is why I’m glad I am my own boss now, office dynamics are gross as an employee.

2 Likes

I also experienced it during my alternative military service. The school principal was a dick and falsely accused me of not learning the culture even though I always insisted on learning Mandarin Chinese, understanding the cuisine, learning how to greet elders, etc.

1 Like

Yea if you are on the spectrum then God help you.

They expect you to understand stuff that no one talks about.

Seriously office culture is beyond toxic in Taiwan. If you thought American office culture culture was bad you haven’t seen anything yet.

In Taiwan when you perform well, they say little if anything at all, in fact they’ll still find SOMETHING to complain about even if they found your performance exemplary. It isn’t about learning Chinese, understanding the cuisine, or learning to greet elders. It’s far beyond that. In fact I have no idea what it is. In fact I think it’s probably the unpaid overtime and not leaving work before the boss does regardless of what time it says on the clock.

But if they really wanted you out they will give very clear and obvious signals. Such as giving you a chicken head during the weiya. Or flat out fire you for no reason (or assumed reasons).

If they want you out MAKE them terminate you. You get employment insurance when they do that. You get nothing if you quit.

1 Like

He did state that he doesn’t have much to say about my performance.

Do you think he’s also trying to imply that I don’t help my co-workers a lot?

Is it possible that they hate the way you run meetings? Perhaps you are not good at this, or at least not good at it in this culture? Man, I hate being in meetings run by people who don’t know how to run meetings.

And how often do you take on the suggestions from others? Is it possible that you are missing out on good ideas, because you can’t see past your own perspective?

Maybe he’s getting problems from other employees who want such a raise, or don’t think you’re worth it so they complain. Easy way for him to save money and solve problems is to encourage you to leave; if he gets rid of you after giving you the raise he’ll lose face.

Seems entirely possible

Seems entirely possible

I dont know if many locals, but they do have a point sometimes. a relatively high ratio of the pretentious and obnoxious people I met here were ABCs.

Regardless of what everyone else says… don’t even try to decode what the boss’s message.

They need a punching bag, they’re paying you a lot to be one. So they are going to find any excuse they can to find fault. It’s their job.

You can either bear it, or save up enough and be your own boss and quit.

But they will always find an issue no matter what. In Taiwan bosses have to be mean, they have to be unsatisfied. You ever seen how OFW get treated? That’s how they want to treat EVERYONE.

1 Like

:scream:

4 Likes

I don’t know, but I do know your boss sounds like an asshole.

1 Like

Hey…Guys too. Once they find out you get paid more than em oh boy…It’s shoot em time and you got a crosshairs on yer head.

1 Like

In Taiwan being seen to be a team member and doing team stuff, sharing some chocolates around the office or even just occasionally eating biandangs or having lunch or going on a company trip together is really really important , especially if you are a team leader. Also if you were leaving on time and others were leaving later…They will get pissed off after a while. Either the boss or the moany coworkers.

I was earning a good salary and I only lasted 1 year in my last Taiwanese employer. At the end I was getting hostile vibes from some of the staff and one of the bosses. Don’t know why…Possibly because I was not hanging around doing lots of overtime and getting paid (relatively ) well and they knew my salary . Kind of mutual agreement by the time I quit there, but we parted without hostilities commencing.

This boss has already undermined you and going to suck your confidence away. A job is just a job , go and find a better place and try to be a bit more social in the next one.

7 Likes

Look at the Moderna vaccine giveaway currently underway at Taipei Main Station—free stuff provided! As Brian Jones suggested, consider bringing chocolates, small snacks, stuff to share with the team. If you’re decent and generous (whether in this job, or the next), it’s a lot harder for people to go after you—after all, you just gave them some gifts! There will almost always be office assholes, but it’ll be harder for them to round up the pack to attack you. :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

I bought 200 candy canes from Sobeys for an office of 70.

Never seen candy canes in Taiwan. While they will likely appreciate the gesture, I will find the bewilderment at the never-before-seen confectionary highly entertaining and amusing.

Can’t wait for the

too sweet
too hot
too cold
too…

:rofl:

5 Likes

Ok, I’ll start.

Too sweet! :rofl:

Guy

5 Likes

People here almost never come at you directly. This goes for bosses as well as coworkers. When the bullet that ends your job comes, you’ll probably never know where it came from. Sometimes this is true in Western countries as well, but it’s even more true in Taiwan.

Keeping in as close contact (i.e. gossiping) is, sadly, a form of insurance. If you aren’t reaching out to your coworkers as much this would be a problem anywhere. Find some others to complain with in the shadows and they’ll likely have your back later on, complain more publicly and you’re doomed. We all have to make peace with this aspect of Taiwan sooner or later, which isn’t to say it isn’t frustrating.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but sometimes the best response to a conversation like that is “Oh, really? I’m so sorry, how can I improve?” This lets your boss know that you’re willing to play ball - even if you aren’t. Work here involves a lot of passive resistance, and appearing to be a team player is part of that.

From what you said above I think you might be in the right, and it might be in your boss’s interest to be more flexible in this matter, but you’ll need to let him think that he’s right even while you’re convinced that he’s wrong.

Just my opinion though.

4 Likes

In a Taiwanese workplace, the boss is ALWAYS right, even if he does something stupid.

Basically never correct a boss. It’s a loss of face even if the correction would save the company from losing millions.

1 Like

The manager kept saying that he doesn’t have much to say about my job performance.

1 Like

At any given time, whether a company is doing good or bad. If you can’t identify who would be the first to be let go, it’s probably you.