Could it be possible that you could solve this problem by registering for a “tongyi bianhao” through the Foreign Affairs Police?
I ask because I was reading the Post Office Chinese web site last night looking to find out what document was required for foreigners to have a Postal Savings Account in Taiwan. According to their site (I will phone to confirm later tonight if I have a chance) you can open an account with a passport as long as you have the “Unified ROC ID Number”. I Googled that and got the following from the police:
From their Web site: http://iff.npa.gov.tw/front/life.php?tr_id=2&id=226
中華民國統一證號申請須知 [ROC Unified Number Application Information]
更新日期 :2005/07/07 [Last update: July 7, 2005]
外國人部分： [Non-ROC citizens:]
[I. Unit handling requests: Taipei City, Kaohsiung City Government Police Foreign Affairs Office; Taiwan Provincial county and city police Foreign Affairs departments; Fujian Provincial Jinmen County, Lianjiang County Police Administrative Departments.]
二、 應備文件： [II. Required documentation:]
(一) 已入境者： [A. For those already in the ROC:]
- 申請表一份。 [1. Application form.]
- 護照正本、影本各一份，正本驗畢後發還。 [Passport and copy. Passport will be returned after inspection.]
- 委託代辦案件(非委託案件免附)：[If applying through an agent (not necessary if not applying through an agent):]
(1)委託書一份(或直接於申請表上填寫「委託聲明」)。 (a) Agency agreement certification (or fill out the “Statement of Agency” on the application form itself.]
(2)受委託人身分證明文件：身分證、居留證或護照等。 (b) Identity documents for the agent: ROC ID card, ARC or passport, etc.
(二) 未入境者： [(II) For those not currently in the ROC:]
- 申請表一份。 1. Application form.
- 護照影本一份。 2. Copy of passport.
- 委託書或授權書正本一份(或直接於申請表上填寫「委託聲明」)。※ 委託人簽名字樣應與護照上一致。 3. Copy of agency agreement or authorization (or fill out the “Statement of Agency” on the application form itself.) *Signature of person authorizing agency must match signature on the passport.
- 受委託人身分證明文件：身分證、居留證或護照等。 4. Identity documents for agent: ROC ID card, ARC or passport.
三、 處理時間：隨到隨辦。 III. Processing time: done while you wait.
四、 費用：免費。 IV. Cost: free.
五、 注意事項： V. Notes:
(一) 適用對象： (1) Persons requiring this service
未曾配賦統一證號，而有銀行開戶、報稅、申請健保或申請中華民國駕照需要者。 [1. Those who have not yet been issued a ROC Unified ID number, but who require it for an ROC bank account, tax matters, applying for National Health Insurance or for a driver’s license.]
[2. Those foreigners who used to have an ARC or PARC, and who currently do not have such documents and require them as proof, or whose ARC or PARC lack the 10-digit number required.]
(2) Uses of the Unified ID Number: The “Unified ID Number” is a permanent “Identification number” for the individual while in the ROC. Each individual has one number which is used for life.
(3) Name of the document: after the application is approved, applicant will be issued with an “ROC Unified ID Number certificate.”
[1. Currently National Health IC cards or drivers’ licenses will all use this number.]
[2. Beginning in 2004, foreigners who open a bank account in Taiwan must show a “Unified ROC ID number” document (this could be an ARC, a PARC or the Unified ROC ID number certificate.)
自民國九十三年起，外國人在華工作所得扣繳申報或年度綜合所得稅申報，均須填寫當事人之「統一證號」。惟對於短期來臺工作之外國人，為方便所得扣繳作業之申報，其例外規定如下：對於無統一證號而有中華民國來源所得之非中華民國境內居住之個人，請依舊制稅籍编號填寫。稅 籍編號共計十碼，按所得人護照上之資料，前八碼填上西元出生年月日，後二碼填寫所得人英文姓名欄前兩個字母。例如：ROBERT W. DAVISON出生日期JULY 12,1942，稅籍編號則為「19420712RO」【以上摘自「外僑所得扣繳憑單填報說明」五、(三)】◆ 非中華民國境內居住之個人：指同一年度內在臺居住不滿一百八十三日者。
[3. Beginning in 2004, foreigners who work in the ROC and file tax returns for annual income tax must fill in their “Unified ROC ID Number” on the return. Only foreigners working short-term in Tawian may use an alternate regulation as follows, to facilitate their payment and filing of taxes: for foreigners without a Unified ROC ID Number, but who have ROC sources of income, and who do not reside within the ROC, please use the old system of tax ID numbers. This number had 10 digits in all, and was based on the data on your passport. For example, ROBERT W. DAVISON, born JULY 12, 1942, would have a tax number of 19420712RO.]
[The preceding is taken from the “Foreigners Income Tax Form Instructions” V (3)] * Foreign individuals not resident in the ROC: this means anyone who does not make 183 days of presence within a year.