My mother in law said what

[quote=“Shin-Gua”]You ARE going to die no matter what you do. Might as well enjoy the decline. :laughing:

I spend a lot of time in a nursing home taking care of family and I see all of these really old people who are half crazy from Alzheimers and half crazy from pain and I really wonder what the point is to prolong life by eating and living austerely only to suffer as a result. It seems better to go with a bang and if I didn’t have someone helpless to take care of that is the way I would go, with a bang.[/quote]

The people you are treating very likely did NOT take care of themselves. And since almost all of us posting can expect to live into our 80s and not go out with a bang we better take care of ourselves. (Of course the likelihood that it is the fact our mothers were healthy and well fed when we were born and we were well fed throughout our childhood as opposed to anything we did as adults that will lead us to have relatively healthy old age is very possible.)

I still think sandman is right.

To paraphrase - Enjoy your life and live it to the fullest.

Maybe I’m incorrect but I think that is what he said. If I am wrong I stand corrected. But if this is correct, I am all for it.

[quote=“elektronisk”]I still think sandman is right.

Maybe I’m incorrect but I think that is what he said. If I am wrong I stand corrected. But if this is correct, I am all for it.[/quote]

And from what age would you suggest doing this? In most Western countries now they seem to start from day one and now we have a serious problem with many young teenage kids weighing in at over 200 pounds, high blood pressure, heart problems etc…in a few more years we’ll begin seeing the full effect but hopefully the hospitals will be geared up with the heavy duty beds, toilets and extrawide catscans.
Even in Taiwan now it’s common to see overweight kids—something that was very rare 20years ago.
So are you giving these kids the same advice?

How about Canola oil? Most websites suggest it as one of the best cooking oils. But I found this website that suggests it’s not good for cooking because of the high omega contents. :s

1. COOKING WITH OILS
    Cooking at high temperatures can damage oils. The more omega 3 fatty acids in the oil, the less suitable it is for cooking. The heat not only damages the fatty acids, it can also change them into harmful substances.

BEST OILS (not necessarily for cooking)

1. Flaxseed
    Best source of omega 3 fatty acids;

2. Canola
    One of the lowest oils in saturated fats, making it a heart-friendly oil; a rich source of essential omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.

3. Soybean
    Contains both omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, but is often highly refined and hydrogenated.

4. Olive oil (virgin or extra virgin)

5. Pumpkin seed

MEDIUM OILS

1. Safflower

2. Sunflower

3. Corn

4. Peanut

WORST OILS

1. Cottonseed

2. Palm kernel

3. Coconut

All About Oils: askdrsears.com/html/4/T043800.asp

[quote=“elektronisk”]I still think sandman is right.

Maybe I’m incorrect but I think that is what he said. If I am wrong I stand corrected. But if this is correct, I am all for it.[/quote]
Yeah. Everything in moderation – including moderation. In my case, olive oil & butter is a sacrifice. If I had my druthers I’d be using nothing but finest beef dripping! :wink:
Anyway, I can eat as much oill and butter as I like. Red wine trumps oil every time, don’t you know?

When I lived with some Italian students their spaghetti sauce was just about only olive oil with only a few extra things.

Back to bread. I bought a bread machine which I use all the time. In this I only use a little olive oil not butter. Makes great bread. The baker round the corner uses hydrogenated fat for all his bread and his brown bread is coloring not wholewheat. On another note I have never seen flaxseed/linseed for sale in
Taiwan only the oil as flaxseed is very good for you.

I think you can get flaxseed oil in some healthfood stores. The only linseed I have seen is in art shops–probably not for human consumption.
I’ve checked out some “healthy baking” websites and they seem to just replace the lard or oil called for with canola oil. Being as bread doesn’t take much I guess it doesn;t make much difference with the baking process. But I wonder if it’s the same for something like cookies.

This has been a great post! Now I need to get my wife understanding all of this stuff.

So anybody here able to translate the words below?? :help:
I think alot of Chinese food labels have this stuff mentioned but I wonder if it’s the same as they do it in English…or do they just word it all as fat or oil and not make it very clear to the consumer?

Fat
cholestoral
saturated fats
Polyunsaturated fats
Monounsaturated fats
Partially hydrogenated fats
hydrogenated fats
Trans fats