My new passport 'number' no longer matches my ARC

I’ve just received my new passport. I used the new online renewal service and I’d highly recommend it: https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport. It took 2 weeks and very easy and painless, no issues.

Having said that, I noticed my new passport number has changed and now no longer matches my ARC, which doesn’t expire for another 2 years.

Do I keep quiet or go to the immigration office and confess all?

You do not keep quiet. Just go to NIA and give them the new number, they give you a new ARC, no hassle.

If you do not, you will get a fine.

5 Likes

Previously my ARC would always expire on the expiration date of my passport which was a hassle once because meant I needed to apply a new ARC less than a year after I renewed my ARC. They will check your passport expiration and not allow your ARC to be valid past your passport expiration date. Or has this changed?

Nope you need to get it changed, you’re allowed something like 2 weeks to do this after returning to Taiwan/getting new passport otherwise there is a fine. Anyway if you go to pay tax in a months time or so it will be spotted there too and they’ll tell you the same thing as well.

As stated, this is not a choice, but it is relatively easy to get it changed. You’ll need photos and photocopies and they will give you a new one with the updated information on it.

My question now is: why would he keep quiet? He is just updating his info, which he has to do anyways when he moves. What is he afraid of? Of paying another 1000 NTD or getting his clock reset for permanent residency? I do not think he will suffer that. Having continuos residence without overstay is more important, and his ARC is tied to his passport, that is why it is VITAL to have it updated. It is just new information based on his current visa. Problem begins when he starts hiding information.

Once more, repeat after me:
The date written on your ARC is just for reference. The ARC becomes invalid when your reason for being in Taiwan becomes moot. Say, as a student you leave your studies, or as a worker you quit your job or get fired. In thsi later scenario, please remember they do not have the obligation to tell you when your work permit was killed. So, no, you cannot stay in Taiwan until teh date written on your ARC. You can easily extend your ARC in any of teh previous cases of losing job or quitting school. But you cannot stay on teh basis of “it is written here”. Then you will be illegally overstaying and must pay a fine and/or be moved to a nice facility in Taoyuan -and I do not mean the airport.

How long can i extend my ARC if i get fired or quit my job? I already calle immigration. but the information has been contradictory.

6 months.

2 Likes

What he said. Please note it is not automatic. You have to ask for it. How wil they jnow you do not want to leave?

Laziness? Or maybe chabuduoism?

1 Like