My pc has lost its sound

My pc has lost its sound. I don’t know what setting I’ve changed or if it was anti-spyware software that removed something it shouldn’t have. Please help!

Someone is going to tell you that they need far more details - so I’ll do it first.

The problem is that I don’t know what details to provide. The question-and-answer method will have to be used.

Do earphones work? Speakers? Monitor sound? Is it all gone?
Did you install any new software at all lately?

It’s all gone. I’ve added skype to my software. I regulary check for/spyware and delete what is suggested.

We need a techo-guru now.
Like Truant or Aunty Iris.

Try reinstalling your sound card drivers … if that doesn’t work, might be a hardware problem.

If you lose the sound from the fans, you’d better get your fans fixed. If you don’t, some components are sure to be damaged!

Before doing that, check to see if there’s a problem with your sound card. Assuming you’re using Windows:

Right click on My Computer
Select Device Manager
Select Sound, game and video controllers
Select your sound card, then select Properties.

Look at Device Status. Does it say This device is working properly?

Before doing that, check to see if there’s a problem with your sound card. Assuming you’re using Windows:

Right click on My Computer
Select Device Manager
Select Sound, game and video controllers
Select your sound card, then select Properties.

Look at Device Status. Does it say This device is working properly?[/quote]

I’m sorry for falling asleep on the job guys. But TSC’s (I on’t think DR. Z would have done it) instructions led me to the root of the problem:

Multimedia Audio Controller, Video Controller and Video Controler(VGA compatible) are all uninstalled. So, what next?

I tried to reinstal the missig software with my ms disk, but it said it couldn’t ind the software needed for the reinstallation.

Uninstalled or disabled? If they’re uninstalled, you wouldn’t see them in the device manager. If they’re disabled, then right-click on them and choose “enable”. If they’re uninstalled, then next time you switch on the computer it should detect that they are missing and start the Hardware Installation Wizard.

Another possibility is that you have some “unknown devices” or something along those lines in the device manager. You’ll know cos they’ll have a question mark or something beside them. In this case, right-click and uninstall, then restart the computer and the Hardware Installation Wizard should start again.

They were uninstaled at first. Now it says “not installed (code 28)”. The only question (and exclamation marks) marks are next to the 3 devices I mentioned before. There are an additional two exclamation marks next to my camera’s software, but I’m not too concerned about that at present.

OK, thanks for the clarification. Do you have the software to reinstall the drivers (Not the WIndows CD)? Is this a laptop or a PC? If it’s a PC, is the audio stuff built in to the motherboard?

Normal procedure here would be to right-click on these devices and uninstall them, then reboot. It may reinstall them automatically (try that option first), otherwise you’ll need the disc.

Before you uninstall them, note down the names of the devices as it gives them in the device manager.
P.S. If it’s a laptop, it’ll be easy to source the drivers if you don’t have the disk.

I’m not too sure what you mean. I’m not very tchically inclined (When I was 4/5 I fixed my eldest sister’s watch with a hammer ).

It’s an acer laptop (Aspire 3613WLMi) and I think the sound is built into the motherboard.
What’s the next step?

[quote=“AAF”]I’m not too sure what you mean. I’m not very tchically inclined (When I was 4/5 I fixed my eldest sister’s watch with a hammer ).

It’s an acer laptop (Aspire 3613WLMi) and I think the sound is built into the motherboard.
What’s the next step?[/quote]

Cool. Give me a minute and I’ll find you the drivers.

Edit: OK, go here global.acer.com/support/download.htm and down load “Realtek Semiconductor AC’97 Audio Driver 5.10.0.5830/a>”

Edit 2: Once you’ve downloaded it, extract ALL files first (right click and extract to a folder). DON’T try to just run the zipped file. Now find the setup.exe file and run it. BTW, this is for Windows XP.

Hey Irishstu, thanks for the link. I’m still trying to do it. I might have to get some help from technophile in Hsinchu. As soon as I have it fixed, I’ll let you know. Thanks.