My school got raided. I'm I in trouble?

So basically I was caught by somebody from the Min. of Education while I was teaching Kindy. They took a photo of me in the classroom. I sat at the desk for awhile and somebody from my school told me to run out of the building. I was told by my employer that they gave them a fake name and that I was a friend subbing that day. They have to write a report and they told me they are going to not give them any of my information. I didn’t sign any statements or had to deal with anybody from the Foreign Affairs Police. Despite this could I still be in trouble? I work for a fairly large school btw. Please don’t give me the “you shouldn’t teach kindy” speech. I just want some people’s opinion. Thank you.

Sounds like you’re in trouble indeed. Best of luck to you, though.

Based on my 12 years of experience, it sounds like the check is in the mail with respects to a deportation order and 1-5 year blacklist for reentering the country, unless your kindy steps up for you 100% and confesses that they deliberately mislead you about the legality of the job. This would involve them getting a bigger fine and more dire legal consequences, and I have heard a few stories but have never confirmed one where the kindy owners actually did this.

The future is unwritten, but based on what the past has seen, I would start thinking of Plan B and C. :2cents:

You’d still not be allowed to sub: that’s illegal for you too. They don’t have your name which might swing in your favour if they don’t pursue it. If they do pursue it and look up the fake name they gave, how wil the school explain how the Mr M. Mouse or Ms D. Duck working in their school doesn’t exist on any records, and that they were planning on paying an illegal sub, untaxed? If they have your photo, they could just wait until they catch you in person. You just need to wait and see what happens.

If you’re in a big school, just work at the address on your ARC for the time being.

It might be fine, it might not. It also depends whether it was a chance raid or a tip-off raid.

It was a tip off raid from what we believe is somebody inside the school who is leaving soon and wanted to screw them over, while screwing me in the meantime. My admin said they are going to have to pay the fine but she is telling me that I’m safe because they don’t have any of my information. The other foreign teacher who has been there for quite awhile said that the school will protect me. Of course I don’t believe anybody 100% at this point.

Run, forest run

That’s good.

As Ermintrude posted, and as your school manager knows, you are not going to get deported because you are teaching under 6 kids. You are going to get deported because you are working at an address that is not the sponsor on your ARC. IIRC correctly there should be an address linked to your ARC which is the address of your sponsor. I would guess it is part of the kindy you are in, probably the teacher’s room, although it could be a completely different location such as their head office. Insist on only working at that exact location for the time being. As BigJohn posted, your only chance is the school taking the pain and that hardly ever happens.

Pray for the best, but prepare for the worst. I hope that you get away with it, but I think it’s unlikely. You’ve got some time to give the guy who screwed you a shoeing, if that’s your thing.

The kindy I work in has been raided a few times. Once they also took photos of the staff. They asked to see ARC’s.

Luckily I have a marriage visa, and the inspector simply said “Oh, you are married to a Taiwanese, so it’s ok.”

When I asked the regular teachers what happened to them, they told me that they were warned not to teach kindy, and it was left at that.

Not sure if this was a pretty isolated incident, but I have not heard of any teachers being deported recently?

This is a bit weird. The MOE don’t do raids, do they? It’s nothing to do with them.

This is a bit weird. The MOE don’t do raids, do they? It’s nothing to do with them.[/quote]

Sorry it was the Labor Dept. My admin had to give them a report and she insists that she didn’t give them any information about me. She did suggest that it might be a good idea to teach at another branch though. From what I hear from the foreign teachers who have been there for a long time is that nobody has ever got in trouble at this school. I have an idea who might have been the person to tip them off and I think they are trying to screw over the school and not me. They seemed genuinely uninformed that foreign teachers can get in big trouble.

This is a bit weird. The MOE don’t do raids, do they? It’s nothing to do with them.[/quote]

Sorry it was the Labor Dept. My admin had to give them a report and she insists that she didn’t give them any information about me. She did suggest that it might be a good idea to teach at another branch though. From what I hear from the foreign teachers who have been there for a long time is that nobody has ever got in trouble at this school. I have an idea who might have been the person to tip them off and I think they are trying to screw over the school and not me. They seemed genuinely uninformed that foreign teachers can get in big trouble.[/quote]

Well, if they didn’t give the government officials your ID number, name or passport number, then you should be all right.

It is only when they start the paperwork that people get in real trouble.

Good luck!

Seems like there are a lot more raids these days. Could this be in response to the recent sensationalized news stories about bad foreigners?

We haven’t heard back from the OP for a while. Is he still in Taiwan? Did he get deported?