My speaker makes popping sound when the fridge turns on

Help! my speaker makes a pop whenever the fridge turns on. Its getting annoying, I tried everything, like moving the fridge to another plug, and using a surge protector, but it didnt help. What else can I do? When I moved the fridge it stopped on a computer speaker, but now I got a real hi-fi system and it does that… annoying as hell if you ask me.

Are the speaker’s hooked up to your computer? If so, maybe it’s a computer thing not your speakers or your fridge. Meaning change the outlet plug of your computer…best of luck

sounds like crap shielding on the fridge motor, and EMF is zapping the speakers. Probably not much you can do, but computer speakers are cheap so you might want to try some others that may be less affected.

How far apart are the fridge and speakers?
Don’t bother trying different outlets. You only have one phase in your house so they’ll all be affected.

Truant is right that is probably crappy shielding. Physically move the appliances at least 2 meters apart as see if it still happens. It is possible that one of the appliances needs to be properly earthed.

L.

:smiley:

Unplug the fridge. You can survive without food, but without music… :noway:

Or… get a UPS with double conversion for the speakers?

[quote=“Andre”]Unplug the fridge. You can survive without food, but without music… :noway:

Or… get a UPS with double conversion for the speakers?[/quote]

Uhh… I am using a Usher au-9000 amp hooked to my computer… its not “cheap” by any means. I dont know if a UPS will blow if I plug my amp into it. It draws 65 watts idle and 700 watts full output… a computer puts out 500w max (unless its a server).

Usher problems here too. We have problems with spikes (voltage going up or down) which caused one side of the amp to mute temporarily. We took the amp back to the shop. They tested it for ages, we listened to it and it worked perfectly.Came home plugged it in and still get the same problem.

Same with the CD player, The gear isn’t cheap, but in my experience it isn’t reliable. I won’t buy Usher again. I’d speak to Usher - Zhong Hua Road Taipei - 2314 3868.

You would think that if they are aware of dirty mains, spikes and things clapping out that they would try to prevent them. They sell themselves as a “Hi-end” audio company afterall.

Let me know if you need their other numbers.

L.

Yes but Usher stuff sounds so good… and for their prices it can rival with other high end gears costing several times more. I think the only problem is the dirty mains but wont a UPS solve this?

Yes, I believe so, and agree about the sound quality. I think we were quoted $3000 for a UPS. We decided not to because we don’t know how long we’ll be around.

L.

How about a line conditioner?

I think there is at least one amp that has similar technology built in. That’s part of how it gets above 99.9999% purity.

I’m just adding to the chorus and not offering any suggestions. My speakers did the same thing - lights on/off pop, unplug anything pop. Any data coming into my cell phone registers on the household phone and the speakers.

I stopped listening to the stereo and use headphones now.

[quote=“gary”]How about a line conditioner?

I think there is at least one amp that has similar technology built in. That’s part of how it gets above 99.9999% purity.[/quote]

I got this thing from an electronic market at kaifong road sec 2 (same street usher dealership is on) which is a transformer. The guy said that its basically a transformer that isolates the devices from the rest of the circuit and filters out every spike and dips from the line. I paid 2000NT for it… did I pay too much? It was a 6 amp model (700watts I think) because I need that power since my amps/computer/whatever combined might need that much power. They also have a thing called a “voltage regulator” that smooths out voltages incase of a brownout. I had a hell of a time taking the thing home because it weights a ton… it seems to solve the problem though…