My Taiwanese wife declaring bankruptcy

My Taiwanese wife has around NT600,000 in debt (borrowing money for friends that didn’t pay her back). I’m a US citizen in the process of trying to bring her over here to the US. I’m trying to get a K-3 visa for her. Would there be any forseeable problems if she can’t pay her debt? She really can’t pay because she just quit her job so that she can come live with me.

I don’t want to be rude, but your wife was really irresponsible. Did she lend the whole NT$600 000 to friends? She really misjudged her friends…

yeah…she made a mistake…she’s just too trusting…they were her long time friends…for almost 15 years…

This sounds very irresponsible all round. Your wife is choosing not to pay back the money so that she can come and be with you. If she chose to stay she would continue repaying, right?

Why not take a loan in the US to repay the money that she owes here rather than walking away from it?

I’m not married nor do i know your true relationship with your wife. But the spidey senses are tingling here. She may have told you that it was her friends, but is that really the case all around? Currently, a great deal of people in Taiwan are under debts created by the new cash cards and other means for getting ‘loans’.

You aren’t asking for this, but do you realize that should she come to the US and have debts there, you would more than likely be responsible for the debt? Even if she goes back to TW if you guys don’t live happily forever.
The US is not joking around with debt and bankrupcy issues anymore. I personally know some who has done it twice and it hasn’t been a pretty pic.

Hope this works out for you.

What difference does it make to US immigration whether you’re wife’s loaded or broke? Is there such a thing in Taiwan as formal bankruptcy which relieves you from pre-declaration obligations?

There are plenty of foreign bankrupts living in the States married to US citizens. What problems could there be?

[quote=“Lord Lucan”]
There are plenty of foreign bankrupts living in the States married to US citizens. What problems could there be?[/quote]

That they are runnin up debts there possible in their spouses’ names.

[color=darkred]MODERATOR’s NOTE: The question is whether unpaid debt will affect the chances of getting a K-3 visa. Please stay on topic. Thank you. DB [/color]

Doesn’t appear to be relevant to the issue.

What is it:

The K-3 and K-4 Visas allow the Spouse and Spouse’s children (unmarried children under 21) enter the United States to await the approval of the I-130 petition by USCIS or the availability of an immigrant visa.

Who Qualifies:

The K-3 Visa allows the spouse of a US citizen, who is currently waiting abroad for an immigrant visa, and the (K-4 Visa) spouse’s children to enter the United States as nonimmigrants, re-unite with their family inside the 50 states (and/or Washington, D.C.), and then apply for immigrant status while in the continental USA (and/or Alaska, Hawaii, Washington, D.C.). It is one of several immigration benefit provisions created by the Legal Immigration Family Equity Act (LIFE Act) which was enacted recently after passage by the US Congress.

Those who are not legally married may not apply.

Under this new nonimmigrant visa classification, spouses of U.S. citizens may be granted K-3 nonimmigrant status, and the spouse’s unmarried children (under 21 years of age) may be granted K-4 nonimmigrant status. Obtaining a K-3 or K-4 visa is not required, however.

In other words, spouses of U.S. citizens, and children of U.S. citizens may choose not to apply for a K visa and obtain their immigrant visa outside of continental USA (and/or Alaska, Hawaii, Washington, D.C.), subject to local availability from the Department of State, or the local Embassy, or (in the situation of the non-independent non-sovereign economic entity of Taiwan) from the American Institute in Taiwan.

I have some local friends who may be able to help recover the money!.. :wink:

Thanks for everyone’s response. I just found out that Taiwan does not have an indivdual bankruptcy law. There is some kind of legislation they are considering right now for individual bankruptcy…but it has not passed yet. Her father has suggested “pay for a month…then not pay for 2 months…then pay for another month”…then try to negotiate with the bank to negotiate the debt down. (since she has no job…no income)

The K3/K4 visa application does not involve any detailed background check. You will need to fill out forms I-130 and I-129F. They are straight forward forms that contain no character background questions. However, as part of the K-visa process, once you bring your wife back to the U.S., you will have to apply for a permanent resident card. Your wife cannot stay in the U.S. indefinitely on a K3 visa. The permenant resident card process does involve a background check, including, but not limited to, the individual’s identity, health, criminal background, and ability to support him or herself in the United States. Having said that, I do not think you wife’s debt will interfere with your plans to bring her back to the U.S. and adjust her status.