My Taiwanese wife got her US concealed carry weapons permit today

Ha!
well its midnight here. Time to sign off I forgot how much I enjoyed this forum. Take care everyone.

1 Like

Remember a guy in Minnesota was shot point blank by a police officer for letting the officer know he had a concealed carry permit.

That poor kid in the car just witnessed a murder and is probably going to grow up to hate cops with a passion.

Still, at least Americans have their guns, so they can protect themselves against a violent State apparatus.

Surely Americans have a protocol that people with a CC permit are taught, and that police officers are trained to recognize, so that this kind of bizarre crap doesn’t happen? Or have they not got around to figuring that out?

I have one. I’m a ROC citizen.

The trend is to do away with permits and classes. 7 states require none.

No. Those around an armed couple are polite.

ok here it get weird. there a lot to unpack with this post but i’ll try to be brief.
I had literally just finished reading a reply to my last post when I heard gunfire. I was at work outside. The gunfire was very close. about 100 yards on the other side of the next building. I didn’t see anything but I heard 3 shots followed by 2 more. They sounded like they were coming from two different firearms but it could have been a change of direction by the shooter causing the sound of the last two to be different. a few minutes later the police helicopters were all over the area and news helicopters were hovering. We assumed it was a police shooting and the shooter was at large. Anyhoo, I kept on working because this is America after all and we don’t stop work because of this kind of thing.
This is the weird part. I work in an area where the population is vastly African American. It also happens to be a very high crime area. I just assumed the shooter was African American. I mean demographics alone would suggest that. It turns out it was an officer involved shooting. apparently a mentally distressed guy was attacking an officer with a knife and he got shot. It seems that it was a suicide by cop deal. The guy was white but if he would have been an actual shooter on the run and the scenario played out the way it seemed, If I would have seen him running towards us I would have warned him to be on the lookout for a shooter. If he was Black and was running towards me, in that exact same scenario, I would have assumed he was the shooter. I’m not trying to sound racist just recognizing my own bias,
That’s why I tell people that just because you have a concealed carry permit that does not make you a cop. A carry permit is to save your own life or someone else’s when other reasonable means have failed.

in response to that, there are very simple and specific steps when you are armed and a police officer stops you. You keep your hands on the steering wheel and tell the officer you have a firearm. Then follow his directions. Its actually pretty simple. I think the shooting referenced was a bad shooting by the officer but not murder. It seems that he was reaching for his permit while telling the officer he had a firearm. I think he shot too fast but if the victim was under the influence as had been suggested then his judgment might been bad. I’ve been carrying a hand gun off and on for 25 years and I’ve never had a bad experience when stopped by police.

1 Like

Or a way to get killed first!

just as there are negative stories about concealed permits, there are also positive stories. The permit holder did not even discharge his firearm.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/04/man-carrying-concealed-pistol-stops-attack-on-utah-police-officer.html

I moved some more general discussion on gun control here: USA and gun control

I know a gold trader who has a concealed weapon permit. Very much needed in his line of work as he travels with gold.

Thanks,it was getting a little heated. I just wanted to brag a little about my wifes acomplishment, which for better or worse is a rare achievment for a taiwanese lady.

Congrats to her! It is an accomplishment and shows she cares and is a law abiding citizen. I worked in a gun store and we didn’t sell guns to people who didn’t have a plan to learn gun safety or looked distraught. Gun ownership is a serious matter. Not required by law but probably a common among businesses who wanted to be around for the long haul. A large part of the business were collectors of antique weapons. A Smith and Wesson Model 1 is quite valuable!

1 Like

That’s a good point about owners of gun stores and staying in business for the long haul. My experience has been that store owners are doing as much sizing up as their customers are in choosing what to buy. It’s also a crucial link in the responsible exercise of the second amendment.

Gun ownership is a serious matter, indeed.

So. IWB or IP (purse) carry?

I’ve seen some lycra pants for females with a sewn-in pocket inside the waist band. I’ve also seen some sports bras with a carry sleeve built in! Plus innumerable purses and bags with holsters built into them. None of which were budget minded, though. :unamused:

I have a nostalgic fondness for wheel guns. Wouldn’t carry one, though, although I do like the look of that new Kimber .357.

One other thing about concealed carry. Get to know the law very, very well. If you get training, local law will be incorporated. I think it’s yet another very good reason to invest in training specifically for CCW holders.

If you have to use your weapon, there will be an accounting. Warning shots will be counted against you in a civil trial (or an attempt will be made), and the odds are overwhelming that you will face a civil lawsuit. The NRA straight out tells you to prepare for that eventuality.

Even if your weapon is used for home defense, you will face a civil lawsuit. You should get a bunch of extra home liability insurance. If you have a CCW and you carry, get an umbrella personal-liability rider or policy that covers CCW use.

But sometimes being alive and whole is better than being broke and broken. Stay safe.

Peace.

If it’s not about US concealed carry permits, please don’t post it here, thanks.

So what’s the point of having one of these things? (Concealed carry permit)

It seems to me I would be a hell of a lot more scared with a deadly weapon on my person, than without one. Somebody who wanted to do me harm could so easily just sneak up on me, what’s the point of having a gun then if they pull theirs first?

I lived in the US for 25 years and never felt the need for anything like that, I always just trusted that I could walk outside and be fine without a deadly weapon. Did I just live in a very safe area? Is this something needed in some very dangerous areas? If so I feel badly if those people just don’t have the money to move to a safer area, that’s a whole other kind of American problem: poverty.

Or: is this something passed down from parent to child? Because my parents never mentioned nor had interest in guns, so maybe that’s why?

4 Likes