My Taiwanese wife got removed from the Household registration due to more than 2 years abroad

So like a visa run. I had no idea HR was similar to a foreigners visa in regards to being avle to lose it this way. Really good to know, my wife had no idea either (taiwanese).

Out of curiosity and future reference, does a transit run count? Like say I buy a ticket from SFO to PEK or NRT that transits through TPE, and the layover is like 8 hours or something. Is it enough to exit the airport and then re-enter the airport to keep it active? Would I also have to deal with the fact that my flight is a transit and would need to tell the airline that I’m going to exit customs with my TW passport?

2 Likes

In theory, yes. But transit passengers don’t exit airports–they are obliged to stay in them on short stopovers. It is a bummer with all the travel limitations at the moment.

Not necessarily true. You are not obliged to stay in the airport during a layover. It’s just that the amount of time to get through immigration then get outside to do anything at all, then go back through security and emigration is impractical or impossible for many short layovers.

If you had a four to five hour layover, that’d be enough time to officially enter and then officially exit comfortably.

With eGate, I reckon I could enter Taiwan, leave and be seated in the plane in less than two hours.

1 Like