My Teco dryer doesn't work well

[quote=“housecat”]When the Housekitten was born, we bought one of those teco crap dryers, too. He was born in Feb. and it was always too cold/wet for hanging to work, plus I wanted his clothes to be soft and nice.

The dryer worked well enough for his clothes, because I could dry quite a few tiny baby outfits in one load. For grown up people clothes, however, two pair of jeans were simply warmed up, but still wet, after two hours. For grown up clothes, you’ll have to invest in a REAL appliance, I’m affraid.[/quote]

I had a “teco” type dryer and it never gave me a problem. What I didn’t do is fill it like an American-type dryer. Jeans got dried by themselves.Same for towels. Everything else in small amounts, and always always clean out the lint traps.

Just a suggestion for others who perhaps are on a budget or don’t have space for a dryer: what I find works is having a good quality washer that spins well and can be set to spin longer, not overloading it, followed by hanging on a balcony with a large fan (stainless industrial type) under it. Extra airflow really helps.

In colder, wetter weather, we hang the clothes in another, glassed-in balcony with a dehumidifier. Works quite well. :idunno: I’ve not needed a dryer in over 14 years here, despite living in one of the more humid areas, but I’m sure having one is convenient.

I’m thinking about getting a locally made dryer, despite all the nays here (budget being the main reason). Can I simply place it on top of my front-loading washing machine to save space? Or do I need to set it on a metal frame? Does the Teco dryer shake at all when it’s running?

I bought one of those all in one washer/dryers. Works well but there is no English manual :doh:

I also have one of those Teco dryers. So far haven’t had any problem in over two years. But then I rarely use it. Usually I would hang my clothes on the balcony. In the summer this is all it needs to get them dry. In the winter when it rains for days on end, I will still hang the damp clothes on the balcony and if there is any excess humidity left, I would then (and only then) use the dryer and it works fine.

I think the reason why Americans have a problem with the local dryers is that they have other habits of drying their clothes than people in Taiwan. In the US nobody will hang their clothes out to dry (I heard it’s even illegal in some or perhaps most States to do so) while this is very common not only in Taiwan but also in Europe and the rest of the world. The local dryers are designed to make damp clothes dry, but not clothes that are dripping wet. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the Teco dryers.

GC - You been listening to too much BBC…while there may be HOA (Home Owners Association) rules prohibiting hanging clothes out to dry in some locations (I lived in a gated community that had that), people know this when they buy the home. As for ‘everywhere else’…wrong my friend…hanging it out to dry is SOP in the USA.

Although the washers/dryers are much better made there. And don’t forget those fantastic ‘dryer sheets’…absolute marvel of modern science. Eliminates the need to scurry out when the final rinse happens - Just tear, toss and enjoy!

Thanks for correcting me. That’s indeed good to know and makes me hopeful for the environment. Since I can’t remember seeing any clothes hung out to dry when I was in the US, I was assuming throwing your wet clothes in the dryer straight from the washing machine was SOP in the US.

I’m pretty sure hanging it out to dry isn’t SOP in the Midwest, Northeast or Northwest durning the months Oct - April. :laughing: