My tele is spellbound - Help!

Yesterday evening when Forumosa wasn’t working, I suddenly felt the urge to watch tele. I sat down in front of the tele with a cup of hot chocolate and some cookies. For some unknown reason I could only see channels 5, 7, 9, blinking 32 and crackling gray 57. I used to have 90 channels or so. Where did they go? :s

Furthermore. I decided to watch the 5th channel which is supposed to be CNN. All they showed was a programme about golf. It was tolerable enough to watch while I still had hot chocolate and cookies. After I had run out of cookies, I turned off the tele and shouted at my husband instead. :s

It’s a new day but the problem persists. I still have only 5 channels and there is still the same golf-programme on CNN. :astonished:

Do I need a gypsy to take the spell off? Or an exorcist? Or should I just wait until it goes back to normal? Or press those secret buttons on the remote control that women and children are not supposed to touch?

I want my tele back :help:

Most likely scenario is that the cable company have come around and cut your cable tv line. I’m guessing you weren’t paying for it. That’d explain why you have the free to air channels. Poke your head out the window and see if it has been cut or not.

Sounds like you switched from CATV (cable TV) to terrestial reception. There should be a button on the remote to jump between the two.

Thanks, I will explore the remote. It is possible that my son has pressed some secret buttons as he likes to chew it.

I will do that as well. It’s not my house, so I’m not responsible for paying bills. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case though.

But would I still see CNN without the cable-tv?

Notsu wrote [quote]But would I still see CNN without the cable-tv[/quote]You wouldn’t get CNN, but the channel you were describing doesn’t sound like CNN.

[quote=“Notsu”]I will do that as well. It’s not my house, so I’m not responsible for paying bills. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case though.[/quote]The landlord probably thinks paying for the cable isn’t his responibilty, so he didn’t pay for it either. I thought paying for electric/phone/cable bills was your responsibility ?
5,7,9 are the terrestial channels you get free. If they’re the only ones you get, you have no cable.

I’m afraid it is CNN. It’s showing regular news right now. And I can see the CNN-logo on the corner of the screen.

:idunno:

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“Notsu”]I will do that as well. It’s not my house, so I’m not responsible for paying bills. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case though.[/quote]The landlord probably thinks paying for the cable isn’t his responibilty, so he didn’t pay for it either. I thought paying for electric/phone/cable bills was your responsibility ?
5,7,9 are the terrestial channels you get free. If they’re the only ones you get, you have no cable.[/quote]

I only pay the rent, the landlady is supposed to pay the bills. Now that the cable-tv is switched off, I will probably lose my ADSL-connection really soon :astonished:

If you are watching CNN then you have cable.

I’m confused. :idunno:
I guess I will just have to call a Gypsy then. :s

Another option:

Favorite (channel) list - you either accidently activated one that contains few channels only or the list you were using has been (partially) deleted.
Happened to me before and it took me a while to figure it out since the remote of my TV is labelled entirely in Chinese.

But then of course it’s also entirely possible that the cable company is just playing around and feeding in some crap.

Something else to ponder … Do your neighbours still have cable. Knock on the door and kindly ask, or try to. If they don’t understand you, just barge in, grab their remote and site on the sofa :wink: If theirs is working, then the routes that Rascal suggests are more than likely right.

I don’t speak Chinese and I’m far too shy for an afternoon pantomime :s
I will try Rascal’s suggests first, but if those don’t work, I will just have to read a book :astonished:

Notsu, did you get this problem sorted out yet or not?

The recovery was slow but complete. Next day it showed about 30 channels. Yesterday it was just like it always has been - all the channels were there and every single one of them was showing some intolerable crap. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help and concern.
Keep warm,
Notsu
:rainbow: