My trip to the US/official report

[quote=“Fox”]Ran you ARE the man. Great post.

I’ve never been to the States, but it sounds like they should have these on issue at customs.
[/quote]

OK, this one pissed me off! You’ve never been there and you hack on my country based on a series of diatribes by a guy who had a lousy reunion with his grandmother and would be inclined to burn the flag if he thought he wouldn’t get a “whoopin’” as they say down south.

Not that I think I’m going to be able to change your mind Fox, but let’s see how this perspective of the US plays with you.

Where I come from, flag burning is not approved of either, but both my father and father-in-law told me they fought in wars at the behest of our government to preserve that right for ourselves and attempted to gain that right for others. They are decorated former soldiers who Ran would have you believe are the prototypical knuckledragging drones of the wacked out right who drape themselves in said flag and hunt down those who don’t remove their hats when the national anthem plays. They’ll love their country to their dying breath and know for a damned fact that the government in power is not to be confused with “Their Country”. They believe in the Constitution with every fiber of their being, that it is an exceptional framework for governance and that is what gives “power to the people”, especially those citizens who would burn my country’s flag and rail against her from foreign lands where few would defend her. Finally, Fox, these men believe the government serves at the pleasure of the people and as long as the government serves us citizens, they may stay. If not, they should leave, by force if necessary. While people in other lands may abide by tyranny, abuse, officially sanctioned mass murder at the hands of their own government, we “Flag Wavers” will not. These men raised their children with similar beliefs who, in turn, are passing on those beliefs. I will not condone flag burning in my house. I will not condone ill will towards members of the US military in my house. Nor do we condone racism, misogeny, animal abuse, overuse of prescription medication, sh*%ty network television or lousy fast food. I’m never going to say flag burners or war protesters should be shot or even deported. I probably wouldn’t invite them over for dinner either.

Here’s the real bitch about this little rant of mine. Neither me, my fathers, my mothers, sisters or brothers would ever have this discussion with any of you in our homes. Fox, if you came to eastern Washington or southern Idaho where we dwell, you’d be offered a comfortable place to sit, something cold to drink and your preferences for dinner. We would ask you about your family, your country and your interests. If you asked what we do to keep ourselves busy in an f’d up and uninteresting part of an f’d up and uniteresting country, we’d show you. My old man would take you out in his garage and show you the latest classic farm vehicle he’s restoring. My father in law would take you out into his workshop to show you the latest piece of doll furniture he’s handcrafting for his grand daughter that happens to 8000 miles away at the moment and in the twilight years of his life. My wife would show you her flower garden or a piece of furniture she’s hand decorating. My brother would take you on a ride on his Italian sport bike through the rolling hills of the Palouse at 100 mph or better if you were up for it. I’d take you golfing in the suburbs, fly fishing and camping in the mountains or dirt bike riding in the desert. Any one of us would take you target shooting with our very own guns. We wouldn’t make you eat at McDonalds, we’d absolutely forbid it. We wouldn’t tell you our country is the greatest in the world and yours is utter crap. We wouldn’t discuss politics because it’s trash just like pop music and high fructose corn syrup laden soft drinks. We wouldn’t discuss religion because everyone in our family worships in different ways and it’s a personal thing between them and their god (or not). At the end of the evening, my mom would pack you a big fat sack of food because hunger is the greatest evil on this earth according to mom and if anyone left our house hungry, that would be a mortal sin. We would wish you well and hoped you had a good time and ask that you stop by again if you’re ever in our neck of the woods.

I, for one, did not come here because I had issues with my country as many who post here seem to. Quite the contrary. I brought my family here to see what things are like outside our borders with their own eyes, ears, noses and hearts. Travel Channel, Fox News, CNN and Good Morning America are not appropriate sources of information. We miss our country dearly because of the people like our parents, neighbors and friends. America is a collection of 250 million or so individuals. Until you meet a lot of them, you’ll never have a fair representation of my country. When the only information you get is from those who hate my country, you too will hate my country.

Hopefully you’ll try to see there is a different side to the US and if sufficiently interested, you’ll try to experience it first hand, then make your decision. If not, I tried.

Later,
Rob.

NP - Ride Wit Me, Nelly, Country Grammar (Yeah, a flag waver listens to Nelly, so?)

I’m sorry, at the risk of sounding fascetious, what has America done to “piss them off” pre-9/11, and what exactly do we need to face and fix? And how do we need to fix what we face? And what are you going to do specifically to contribute to this effort to “face and fix” whatever we are supposed to “face and fix”???

I’m sorry, at the risk of sounding fascetious, what has America done to “piss them off” pre-9/11, and what exactly do we need to face and fix? And how do we need to fix what we face? And what are you going to do specifically to contribute to this effort to “face and fix” whatever we are supposed to “face and fix”???

what has america done? how about the illegal drug trade. they’re up to their necks in dope to run secret ops the world over. how about henry kissenger’s go ahead to let a massacre happen in indonesia years ago? how about america’s unwavering support for israel no matter how bad they treat palestinians (there are TWO sides to this issue and the sons of ishmael are human beings too). how about FDR knowing for 8 weeks that japan would attack and not telling us so he could get us into the war? how about the shit we pulled in vietnam? when i was 6 the teachers told me: 'these men are fighting for your freedom". i thought:" i’m not in vietnam". even a fucking 6 year old can see that the emporer has no clothes.
and you still havene’t answered MY point: why the US and not france, etc? is everone just jealous of the good ole USA?
fuck this. i’ll say it straight. bush KNEW 911 was gonna happen. he LET it happen despite the pleas of the fine men and women in the intelligence community. it was an executive policy to drag us into a war to:

control poppy market in afghan
wreck iraq and then build it back up (contracts!!!)
oil of course! you stronzos taking this down?
oh by the way: wanna know how killed JFK?
JOE BONNANO!

Okay, let us ignore for now concentration camps; underage children forced into the Thai sex trade; the lack of Taiwanese child abuse laws; the horrific treatment, and lack of basic human rights, of women in other countries; and the Colombian drug trade (I know, I know, you will say it is supported and funded by the American government). again - you proposed “we face it and fix it” - what are you going to do to “face it and fix it” besides continue to rant?

Thank you for a very calm and thoughtful contribution to the thread, rtc.

Some people will continue to believe that they have it all figured out, and will continue to broadcast this message until their audience becomes bored and stops applauding them. No number of thoughtful comments or alternate points of view will sway them from their conviction that (A) they are right, and (B) those with other points of view are either immoral, or stupid–or both.

But my (albeit limited) experience with Fox leads me to believe that he is not this kind of person. So I am optimistic that he will read your post, consider the thoughts you offered, and move on with an open mind. I think a number of others might as well. Thanks again for the post.

Dear Rc, You let me know when I can buy two AMERICAN beers!!! I couldn’t have said it better…:notworthy: :notworthy: :bravo: :bravo:

[quote=“ImaniOU”]
Nice to see the “love it or leave it” crowd followed us over to Taiwan. Shall I counter with the usual “If it’s so good then why don’t you go back” and let c_s flame to his widdle heart’s content? :unamused:[/quote]

[quote]

Courtesy Of The Red, White, And Blue (The Angry American)
Toby Keith

American Girls and American Guys
We

[quote=“rantheman”]
I like walmart cause I can do my whole house for under 400 bucks. but that’s about it. sam walton was a creep in my book.[/quote]
Now you do know that while you complain about paying a $1200 a year electric bill and saying you can do it better by paying $1200 for solar power, that Walmart is not only against UNIONSbut also, is into cheap child labor? So now you KNOW why you can do your house for under $400. Remember to logde your same complains in Walmart when you shop there. Let me know how it goes over…

[quote] we need to face it and fix it. America’s denial is the worst kind of sickness.[/quote]Hmm, see the above comment

I think if Rantheman were able to couch his criticisms of America in a less negative way, he

I think we all complain and bitch about where we come from once in awhile, sometimes more, sometimes less, yet it doesn’t mean that we don’t LOVE where we come from. Even where we are at now, US, Taiwan, Singapore, AZ, Africa, whereever anyone of us may be, we will also be complaining about the places we are at. That’s just the way it is, human being complain and bitch but it doesn’t mean that we are going to do the Love It or Leave it stuff.

just my little humble opinion.

As a non-American, it’s always amazed me that some of the most rabidly anti-American people I’ve ever met have been American.
Must have something to do with freedom of speech and the freedom of the individual to form their own, sometimes unpopular, ideas.
America is certainly not perfect, but then again, neither is San Marino or Bhutan, not to mention France, Japan or Canada, just bigger and more visible. Yes they gave us McDonald’s, Wal Mart and Britney Spears, but they also gave us electricity, airplanes, Jimi Hendrix and Nirvana.

that’s exactly my point ziggy! i want america to live up to it’s ideals as a creative, free thinking country. those unique people that my country birthed/nutured are getting fewer and fewer.
i don’t understand comrade stalin’s idea that if i don’t like it i can leave. i did leave. i would like to go back i guess, but i can’t stand the lack of a real culture there. how can you have a culture when nobody walks, you buy from a store that doesn’ know your name, etc.
not to play the race card, but i would rather be around black people. i like what they’re doing religiously and socially in urban communities. the preacher i admire most is pastor dale evans. “white christianity”, if there is such a thing, is stuck out in suburbia and likes it that way. i’ve seen it too many times. and white hick christianity is even worse. we have all kinds of baptists, right down to extreme Calvin/predeterminist bigots who just “know” they’ll be in heaven.
my views differ so much from the white middle class christian fundamentalists as to be branded wierd right out of the gate. they say prayer in school. i say i don’t want my kids to be influenced by them. we pray at home.they say drinking is a sin. i say i want to be a winemaker one day and talk about wine a lot.cheese too. they say gays are a special case. i say i don’t care anymore because i’ve got my own sins, so i treat everybody the same. i’ll be lucky if the Father lets me in. that’s the truth. i don’t think i’ve gripped this life the way He would like. i’ll walk thru the fire on Judgement Day and hopefully not all of me will be consumed.

on a good note, america brings out the good dad in me. it’s perfect for teaching my son how to fish, shoot a 22, paddle a canoe, and live it up on vacation. i love my country. i’m just stuck between two places in my life.
tell me this:

WHY CAN’T AMERICA HAVE BULLET TRAINS?
WHY CAN"T AMERICA’s AIRLINE COMPANIES BE AS GOOD IN THIER SERVICE AS TAIWAN?

WHY CAN’T UNIQUENESS BE A PART OF OUR CULTURE AGAIN?

WHY DO WE GO FROM EXTREME RIGHT TO EXTREME LEFT EVERY 8 YEARS? WHERE"S THE YIN YANG BALANCE THERE?

WHY CAN’T WE DO HEALTH CARE?

i love my country and want to know why we can’t open up and be great.

[quote=“rantheman”]
I love my country and want to know why we can’t open up and be great.[/quote]

If you think your country is not great, why would so many people wanted to immigrant to US each year?

they haven’t lived there that’s why. it’s the whole thing that america is the greatest in all aspects that bothers me. i don’t hate the states but i do hate their close mindedness and lack of philosophy.
there’s a book out that i want to read called “the closing of the western mind”.

[quote=“rantheman”]
WHY CAN’T America HAVE BULLET TRAINS?
WHY CAN"T America’s AIRLINE COMPANIES BE AS GOOD IN THIER SERVICE AS TAIWAN?

WHY CAN’T UNIQUENESS BE A PART OF OUR CULTURE AGAIN?

WHY DO WE GO FROM EXTREME RIGHT TO EXTREME LEFT EVERY 8 YEARS? WHERE"S THE YIN YANG BALANCE THERE?

The thing is, you could write similar lists for just about every country on the planet (IMHO, the US list might be a bit shorter than most). While it is good to ask these questions, it is less than constructive to state them rhetorically and then stamp away in a huff. Want better health care? lobby for it, or write to your representatives. Want better in-flight service? Fly the airlines that give you the best service. Want unique? Stop shopping at Wal-Mart. Try San Francisco–I don’t think they have them there. EDIT: Why aren’t there many bullet trains? Hell, I don’t know. Size of the country and suburban sprawl, maybe? The important thing is that in the US and many other countries, people are free to try to change the system to be more to their liking. Expecting perfection will just lead to resentment.

[quote=“rantheman”]

WHY CAN’T America HAVE BULLET TRAINS?

beside the point, there is bullet train from SJ to SF and vice versa, its awasome, tons of commuter use this!

We do have health care in US… beside the point, eh?! :unamused:

Everyone’s experience (or lack of) of America is different and all are valid, because America isn’t one place, or one person, or one attitude. The place has its good and bad.

My own personal pet peeve in America is that people, especially teenagers, have no idea how good life in America generally is. While children in other parts of the world struggle to survive either through manual labor, forced sexual slavery, etc, many kids in the US (and other countries too of course) bitch too much, or are selfish, or have this entitlement attitude “I want”.

While independent thought and growth, and freedom are nice, I also deplore how many people in america do not respect public property or pirivate property. They vandalise, destroy, and steal (and not to survive, but for fun, or boredom). How many buses and trains in America are dirty, vandalized, and generally trashed, because of inconsiderate people. I really like it, for e.g. in HK or Taiwan, how most public places and public transportation is nice, and people behave civily. In HK buses they even have LCD screens. Why? Because they can. because no punk is gonna to steal it or destroy it, or vandalize it.

FYI, I’m also venting, because my place was just broken into, and my laptop and xbox and ps2 were stolen. I’m guessing it was kids since other valuables were left behind.

Rant over.

And where are you from? The U.K.? Rampant vandalism, theft, no respect for property, the entire infrastructure of your islands trashed and dirty because people are inconsiderate so much that it looks like an Eastern Bloc country, lazy bums living off the dole with no idea of how good they’ve got it…perhaps you are what psychologists call “projecting”.

[quote=“rantheman”]on a good note, America brings out the good dad in me. it’s perfect for teaching my son how to fish, shoot a 22, paddle a canoe, and live it up on vacation. I love my country. I’m just stuck between two places in my life.
tell me this:[/quote] You can teach your son to fish, shot a gun and paddle a canoe in Taiwan. I wouldn’t advise falling out of that canoe,though…And the best vacation I had in my life, was in the mountains in Taiwan…

[quote]
WHY CAN’T America HAVE BULLET TRAINS?[/quote]
We have Amtrack. Take that, and talk to your fellow Americans about your thoughts…

[quote]
WHY CAN"T America’s AIRLINE COMPANIES BE AS GOOD IN THIER SERVICE AS TAIWAN?[/quote] Everyone,even the TW know that customer service sucks in Taiwan. The best airline for customer service is American Airlines or Cathy. But if you really mean why can’t American airline companies have age cut offs like in Asia, so old farts like you don’t have to look at older women,then take it up with the ACLU.They like a good rant occationally.

[quote]
WHY CAN’T UNIQUENESS BE A PART OF OUR CULTURE AGAIN?[quote]Do a cross country drive. And man you will see some of the most unique stuff. Ever been in the Rocky mountains? The vast openess of Utah? Ever listened to people from the East Coast talk with their flavorful accents?

[quote]
WHY DO WE GO FROM EXTREME RIGHT TO EXTREME LEFT EVERY 8 YEARS? WHERE"S THE YIN YANG BALANCE THERE?[/qoute]
All your posts on American have been extreme rants on why it sucks. How about getting your own yin/yang in balance?

[quote]
[/quote]Write to your state rep or hell the President.
Pay attention to who cast your next vote for.

[quote]
I love my country and want to know why we can’t open up and be great.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote] That greatness is a state of mind. If you want to see how great it is, STOP LOOKING AT EVERYTHING THAT’S ‘WRONG’. Then you may see the good.

Ran, you are whining to much about a really good country. How much in taxes do you pay? If you aren’t making more than 80,000 usd over here, then you aren’t paying squat,unless you have investments in the states.So, don’t diss it too much. Make your rants universal in nature, and people may see your desire for the best in America to come out. But you are just sounding like the picked on kid that hasn’t grown up.