My wife and I are thinking about moving to Taiwan

We are currently in Jeju, South Korea and are having problems my visa here. We are looking at coming to Taiwan to see if it is better. If it is, then stay in Taiwan, if not come back to Jeju.

My wife has three years of NA university, enough for an associates degree, but not the Australian standard of four years. I have read different info on this. One job description was a diploma. Can she legally teach here with a diploma?

Also, if she can’t. Can she come to Taiwan with me and live, while I work?

Lastly, I don’t want to live in Taipei. Are there nice costal cities with good surfing and scuba diving to live in? Is Kenting nice?

Thanks,
A

[quote=“fiveeagles”]We are currently in Jeju, South Korea and are having problems my visa here. We are looking at coming to Taiwan to see if it is better. If it is, then stay in Taiwan, if not come back to Jeju.

My wife has three years of NA university, enough for an associates degree, but not the Australian standard of four years. I have read different info on this. One job description was a diploma. Can she legally teach here with a diploma?

Lastly, I don’t want to live in Taipei. Are there nice costal cities with good surfing and scuba diving to live in? Is Kending nice?

Thanks,
A[/quote]
Your wife can stay in Taiwan if you have an ARC, but I’m not sure if she qualifies for a working visa herself. Perhaps others can fill you in. Kending is a tourist trap nightmare of a hole, and there is very little work to found there. Try Tainan, Jiayi, Hualian, or Taidong if you want to stay away from the big cities. (Taipei’s not that bad, actually)

Let us know when you make it over here. :slight_smile:

[quote=“fiveeagles”]We are currently in Jeju, South Korea and are having problems my visa here. We are looking at coming to Taiwan to see if it is better. If it is, then stay in Taiwan, if not come back to Jeju.

Lastly, I don’t want to live in Taipei. Are there nice costal cities with good surfing and scuba diving to live in? Is Kending nice?

Thanks,
A[/quote]

Practically speaking, the diploma has to be an equivalent to a US/North American “bachelor’s degree” (or a university equivalent). Without it, then one needs additional teaching certificates like TESOL in order to be considered.

Wive’s who are on a JFRV with a foreigner using a work-based ARC in Taiwan can not work legally with that JFRV. A work permit must be issued on behalf of that wife to legally work.

She may come to Taiwan in a different method in order to allow her to work part time.

Check my posts and you will soon forget the idea. The visa for a wife is the problem.

Your wife unfortunately happens to belong to one of the most difficult categories. Wives from the Philippines and the PRC have “special rules” and Taiwan has made it particularly difficult for those women to get visas to enter. It’s hard but achievable as WH’s experience shows. Most other nationalities don’t have these problems.

" difficult categories" Call a spade a spade Sir, you mean racism. Hitler had ‘difficult categories’.

The case of spouses originally from the PRC involves legislation, and if they have another nationality, issues of nationality recognition. This makes involvement of the (in my case, British) rep office of the country of new nationality easier. This is because the Taiwanese legislation attempts to redefine (in my case) a British citizen as a PRC citizen, contrary to the laws of the PRC and UK.

In your case, Wolvesman, it appears to be pure racism. I doubt Taiwan has legislation specifically banning Filipina wives of foreign citizens from coming here. Clearly the Philippine government is not interested in helping you, but I would seek the assistance of the BTCO if I were you.

In the 2.5 years since I first took my problem up with Richard Hartzell the Taiwanese government has eased its position slightly on “mainland people”. I am aware of the political situation between Taiwan and China, but can think of no reason your wife can’t come here just because she’s Filipina. Your situation is bizarre.

Most Taiwanese people I talk to found my wife’s situation incredible: “But she’s a British citizen!” was their reponse. All the petty measures the Taiwanese government has taken recently against foreigners gives you an insight into its xenophobia. In dealing with immigration issues there is no law in Taiwan as we understand it in England. There is no immigration appeals procedure, they do not have a set of guiding principles (such as our HC and Cmd papers which can be seen on the net) and they do not baulk at splitting up man and wife on a whim. Especially at the HK office. Getting your wife into the UK will be a doddle compared to getting her in here.

It is very much a case of who you know and what strings you can pull. As it has been for 5,000 years. :wink: Plus ca change…

Once again, I urge you start pulling strings. It is the only way.

I guess I should have mentioned that I am Canadian and so is my wife.

The plan is to come into Taiwan, find a job and do a visa run. I heard we can apply for a 30 day visa at the airport, but I think I have also heard we can apply for a 60 day visa. How do we obtain the 60 day visa?

I have been doing some research and this looks like a good site, voyage.gc.ca/main/pubs/taiwan-en.asp#3.

It looks like we can apply for a 6 month visa if we do work as a missionary.

Thanks