My wife is pregnant and will give birth before beeing insured

Hello everyone,

I have a question : How can I get an insurance for my wife before the birth of our baby ?
We are both foreigners in taiwan. I am teaching and have a NHI card. The new regulation of taiwan’s National Health Insurance grants insurance to spouses of foreign workers after a residence of 6 month…
So my wife will be insured from august and we are expecting the baby at the end of july. (she had to go back home to renew her passeport and her ARC card is valid from february)
I probably cannot afford the cost of hospital and other maternity costs without an external help.

Is there any alternative solution you’d know about ?

Thank you very much.

Raphael

First of all, congratulations on the bundle of joy.

Second: get private insurance, pronto, for your wife and the baby. The baby will NOT be covered, as he’s “just arrived”. he/she will have to wait 4 months to get covered by NHI, and if there are complications, it could be very expensive. usually, people get one of those international insurers, and all is well.

Silver lining is that after NHI kicks in, medical costs will be minimal. Which is great for kid’s upkeep.

SEARCH here for recommendations on private insurers.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will look for private insurers now. Anyone to recommend in particular ?