Myriapoda of Taiwan

Centipedes and millipedes of Taiwan. There are some cool ones! Used to keep lots of centipedes and a few millipedes and really love the group. Tonight while driving north for business we took a slow pace and went herping for hours. This one I have never seen before, about 15cm. If anyone has an ID would love a direction .

P_20190111_000721

It sure did poo a LOT. Have better pics on camera, but out of town working this week so more later. Cellphone pics now.

I don’t know its name… possibly Bruce.

1 Like

Could the millipede be Spirobolus bungii?

1 Like

I extemely regret opening this thread…

2 Likes

What exactly did you expect to find?

I’ve seen very similar critters but with different color.

I did not know what myriapoda was…

1 Like

The name is self explanatory.

Myriapoda is basically this, some others but most people are familiar with these 2 groups. Long multi legged invertebrates.

in real life the legs on this guy are blue. even after shedding, its fantastic how pretty this one is.

stone centipede, would love an id on this one

Scolependra getting murdered by ants

Note ants cutting off front legs/fangs…crazy

the ID above was spot on, thanks!

Inspecting a container of raw logs and found this cute little guy. He lives in my vivarium now. Any idea on genus or species. From extreme southern taiwan.

20190304_072246

20190304_072235

20190304_072222

20190304_072216

Anyone have an ID for this fellow I found cruising through my kitchen? My phone’s cheap and my girlfriend was eager for our uninvited guest to leave asap so the photo quality isn’t great.
IMG_20190303_230324117

Centipedes are notoriously confusing in taxonomy. Many “experts” cannot give a definitive answer thats accepted.

Im terrible at iding these too, but perhaps getting down to genus is all one can expect, even with fantastic pics.

This looks solid

1 Like

Hate to do this to you but looks suspiciously similar to…

1 Like

Ugh I know… Found that article shortly after the encounter and have since taken up the practice of diligently inspecting my sheets before crawling into bed :unamused:

Great one thanks. Im reading about that genus a bit, seems a bit off but now can id another species i see around a lot. Cheers!

Found this useful key

1 Like

Some pics of today. One species of millipede is breeding in our vivarium. at first glance i thought termites were invading at closer look they are pedes. a good hundred plus. we have 2 species in there but i assume its the big black and yellow ones as we saw them breeding and have been in there longer, but still not familiar with millipede reproduction.

millipede1 millipede2
millipede3

Is that going to be a problem?

I put them there intentionally to clean and pump nutrients around :slight_smile: its going to be wonderful.

If they get out of control, in goes a vinegaroon.

2 Likes

Just found one of these crawling out of the bathroom into the living room. No way Jose. Dissected him into little pieces and drowned him in disinfectant for good measure. Hope I can sleep.