N+1: Bike fancying

Nothing high-end in cycling worths the money they ask for it.

3 Likes

105 is more groupset than most riders need.

1 Like

Agreed. I hardly ever use the last two cogs since I seldom go that fast. The largest cog, on the other hand, is something I wish would be even larger whenever I climb a steep section.

1 Like

Yeah, Tiagra seems ideal for me. Got a tiagra climbing groupset awaiting my frame to be delivered but have to wait another seven months at least until that’s delivered!

I want shiny and I want it meow! :pouting_cat:

1 Like

My current road rig is an Allez from 2013. Would be nice to have something a bit snazzy. That’s my only thinking, but yeah, you can do a lot in life with 12 grand lol

Not with the recent recalls for faulty forks.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with a bit of bling. I like the tarmac and I reckon the expert is the sweet spot in the range. Problem is you’re well into custom steel sort of of prices, which I’d prefer these days.

Have you ordered something?

Yeah the Cinelli XCR frameset

Ooof nice, love Cinelli. You’re gonna have to go all out on the build to do that frame justice. Making me twitchy, I’m glad winter has arrived here. I’ll keep plodding around on my Surly for now.

1 Like

Yeah it’s a bit of a pain, I was gonna go for a campagnolo groupset but i’m not 100% sure what fixing of brake caliper it’ll have, so i’ll stick Tiagra on it to start (has dual pivot calipers, campag only has direct mount available currently in stock) with then upgrade later i think. I’ve got the finishing kit as per that photo and similar wheels already, but riding it is about a year away.

That just takes standard reach road callipers. I’d have thought wiggle/crc would have plenty of options for you. Although tiagra would work fine as a temporary measure.

Will be lovely when it’s build. Make sure you post up some pics.

1 Like

Yeah seems to take dual pivot (single central bolt) but all the newer groupset kits are direct mount (two bolts, mounted on the seat stays)

Best i could find was buying a super record groupset and then buying ultegra calipers separately and that was £2700 so opted for tiagra for now as it was £300 for the whole lot. All else fails, i’ll stick the tiagra on the allez

You sure? Most of the campag non-disc stuff on crc looks fine to me. Only problem I can see it that most of the groupsets come with the wrong type of front derailleur. The xcr needs a clamp-on by the looks of it. Most of the groupsets come with braze-ons.

Either way, probably see what’s what when the frame arrives.

Well, no, hence my decision! But spending £2500 on speculation seemed a risk so went for tiagra in the short term just so I can ride the thing as soon as possible.

The spec on the frameset is also not particularly clear so yeah agreed, just see what i get, when i get it :joy:

Ha, yeah very sensible. This is coming from Italy after all…

So I’ve quit my job and have no new job to go to.

Now is the time to buy a £13,200 Tarmac, yes? :squid:

Spesh’s 2022 range is 10% more than last years but spec seems the same or am i missing something. Blame Covraine?

Arrange for paint, unless you want to have it painted by a car-shop.
Very hard to get the correct paint cans, and they cant be shipped.
I am still struggling.

Was forced to cancel it :frowning: ordered it in September, after being delayed three times to July 2022, but due to some stupid policy reasons that now make delivery impossible it’s no longer coming.

Perspective and all that, it’s not a big deal, but I was looking forward to a project and a bit of a treat for myself.

In prep for returning to Taiwan in June I splurged - bought a Specialized Aethos frame :scream: in my size (61) now the only problem is how do I tell my wife (after I get out of quarantine)…“hi honey I really missed you, surprise guess what I bought in NY”…:thinking: - guess I’ve got 7 days to figure it out. Though open to suggestions…

5 Likes

First, tell her you’ve just been seeing someone. Explain that you had been thinking about meeting this person for a while, and then when you did, you spoke about riding, and riding positions, in great detail. Eventually, this meeting made you come to the conclusion that it was a better fit than your current situation. Tell her that after the discussion, you handed over several thousand dollars.

Then show her the bike frame.