Naff 'quiz' stuff after posts

Water can drain from a sink in either direction in either hemisphere?

No way or way?

Who cares? Yet more pointless bells and whistles.

And if we’re going to have this sort of crap, can the questions be meaningful?

Water drains down, end of story. Sometimes is circulates, but it DRAINS down. I get really fed up with dumbed-down science and I’m not clicking on any links to other people’s websites just to find out who is responsible for it.

And I don’t care whether camel wrestling is a sport either.

Or whether you can fish at Fisherman’s Wharf, or about the US penal code.

Yet another American website assuming that the readers are all American.

And Burma is not the name of a country.

OK, I’ll stop now.

Let it go. Stupids is everywhere. meiyou banfa.

You guys aren’t serious, are you? You don’t really want us to stop looking for ways to make this website a little more amusing, a little more useful, a little less grim, do you?

Even though I left Taiwan months ago, I still regularly check in here - a little escape from the daily grind. This website can be informative (we surprised my inlaws last night when we called in about the earthquake in record time), and challenging, and a real community, too - granted not all at the same time, but sometimes some combination of all that

Besides, if you really want a featureless Taiwan forum - you don’t have to go very far to find one (I believe Craiglist has a discussion forum). In short: expect more changes - vive la belles et whistles!!

That said, that specific area (the post-posting page) will indeed see more change, now that we’ve learned how to change it

Too true - and until the rest of the world catches up to the US of A, this is probably how its going to be for some time. God bless America

[quote=“tmwc”]And Burma is not the name of a country.

OK, I’ll stop now.[/quote]

It is how French shirt-lifters refer to themselves.

BroonAllez

That’s not useful, and very very grim. Honestly. Right down to the ‘way!’ ‘no way!’ voting buttons. And it’s stuff everyone knows anyway. I hate to be snobbish (absolutely hate it, you understand) but it’s very lowbrow, isn’t it? But of course, I defer to the majority.

The ‘features’ of this website are that there are some well read, well travelled, learned, interesting people who can provide information and entertainment. And there are also people who can tell people where to buy stuff and get their papers in order.

Broonale should write the questions. He knows things. Like how French shirtlifters in Myanmaaaaa refer to themselves.

The US is not ahead of the rest of the world. Taiwan’s use of the the metric system proves how far behind the US is in some respects.

Not the yardstick I would have used, but hey…

Gus, I think it’s fine. I never vote or anything, but it doesn’t bother me.

Agreed, but I don’t think this relates to why many companies on the web and most of the largest firms target an American audience.

Don’t get me wrong - I dig the metric system, the Kyoto Protocol, and the internationalization of the NBA as much as the next person. But let’s not wonder why some websites (like Answers.com) presume an American reader :wink:

On that note: Forumosa.com was undoubtedly biased this way once upon a time - it was started by 2 Americans!

The feature is easily ignored, and hardly worth griping about. Four back-to-back posts by the OP are just as annoying as the feature itself. :laughing:

As Butterfly so astutely points out, it IS grim. Extremely grim. It’s also neither a bell nor a whistle. In fact, it’s a nasty squeaky fart of a thing, the kind of noxious emission that the chief would refer to as a “crop duster,” i.e., it’s foetidness lingers in the fabric of your metaphorical trousers and follows you around through the next several posts.

Are they paying for their ads ? If not, I can think of a few more worthwhile and appropriate ads you can put there instead.

No, they aren’t paying for anything. It isn’t an ad space.

What ads did you have in mind?

Way!

That’s not useful, and very very grim. Honestly. Right down to the ‘way!’ ‘no way!’ voting buttons. And it’s stuff everyone knows anyway. I hate to be snobbish (absolutely hate it, you understand) but it’s very lowbrow, isn’t it? But of course, I defer to the majority.

The ‘features’ of this website are that there are some well read, well travelled, learned, interesting people who can provide information and entertainment. And there are also people who can tell people where to buy stuff and get their papers in order.[/quote]I only noticed the quiz thing when someone else pointed it out. Up to then I’d ignored it, assuming it was some kind of advertising. Of course I agree with Buttercup and Sandman, for what it’s worth.

However, there is one “grim” thing which I think would be very good to put on the site, and that’s the UK anti drink-driving ads that Sandman posted somewhere (can’t find them right now). I think that really would be a good use of this kind of space.

I can’t find them either. Probably due to the irony that I were well-bladdered when I posted them.

[quote=“sandman”]I can’t find them either. Probably due to the irony that I were well-bladdered when I posted them.[/quote]So they were links to another site, not pictures that you were hosting somewhere?

What were some of the slogans? Doing a Google picture search with one of the slogans as a phrase might turn up something.

I’m serious about the idea of getting them on Forumosa in some kind of “advertising” space. They’re not at all happy-clappy, but could just prevent a few accidents.