Name four things unique about Taiwan

They don’t behead people anymore. Knock it off.

South Korea followed an almost identical path.

Guy

4 Likes

What?

They had coup after coup.

Well they also have a legit left / right split in their political parties, unlike Taiwan. So yeah South Korea is not exactly the same. :roll_eyes:

Guy

respect for referencing this

Their left must be limp. I can’t think of a more right-wing democracy than South Korea.

So poems can save Taiwan from China? I had no idea all we needed was a poet. Who needs nukes when you can sing 1.4 billion people to their knees?

1. lack of ambition to improve anything
  2. a work culture that is neither organized nor easy
  3. A just good enough attitude that results in pain for everyone involved
  4. Using nationalism to justify 1-3
1 Like

So when’s your flight back to the US? :neutral_face:

Guy

3 Likes

The above is a pretty depressing list…most of the items are lame/unhealthy.

1. Taiwan is the origin of the Polynesian cultures.

2. Highest concentration of scooter ownership and unique scooter culture.

3. Unique mix of religions (Buddhist, Taoist, Christian, Yiguandao, weird cults) resulting from high level of religious freedom.

4. The ability of everyone to live normal, even boring, lives under the existential threat posed by the evil empire next door.

8 Likes

OK I thought of one. A significant portion of the people here (not everyone, but a significant number) look back fondly on Japanese colonization and genuinely seem to like Japan.

Looking around the region, that’s pretty unique!

Guy

5 Likes

This one is probably more on the Japanese though. They treated the Taiwanese better than their other colonies because they planned to fully integrate it into the home country.

4 Likes

I’ve always attributed it to the comparative badness of the preceding and succeeding colonizers.

Guy

2 Likes

Soon! Common response BTW. I don’t get the whole if you don’t like it, go home attitude. It’s not all beef noodle and rainbows here. Taiwan has some good points, but it also has a lot of downsides. Those balance out for some, but are huge deal breakers for others. I think we should take perspectives into account when we judge people. After all, there are many of us that have had enough bad experiences here to warrant complaints. Just because you’re happy here. Doesn’t mean that everyone else has to drink the kool aid.

7 Likes

#kissbye

1 Like

rangit
lima
kaSiw
Rumaq

This may require a little, uh…explanation. :thinking:

you would be surprised how often variations pop up in other Austronesian languages

Well ya, no shit. But the question was about whats unique. Disregarding the history is a bit strange, i find the aboriginal cultures of taiwan, pre colonization (not so much now) INSANELY interesting and unique!! I thought you were asking for this?

I have no idea what you are on about, can you explain? The OP, nor me, nor any post above that i can tell, have said any such poetry… hitting the bottle a little early tonight? Haha.

The question was about what unique things can help distinguish taiwan from the rest to help promote independence…bubble tea, night markets, scooters etc are all funny jokes but just flat fcking retarded if we are going to take the OP thread seriously…real traditions, hard core achievements, cultural acceptances, and things like taiwans ass kicking of covid should be real answers, no? Those things DO set us apart from china, in a meaningful way, as per OPs request. Perhaps we should be promotin those aspects and digging into their details rather than just avoiding deeper thought and long conversation :slight_smile:

1. The UK has an extraterrestrial reptile as queen (yo, Lizzie!) and China has a children’s storybook character as Chairbear (massive shout out goin’ over the strait tonight to da Poo!) But only Taiwan has a conspecies of Yoda as its head of state. If only you know who would stop its behind-the-scenes machinations to have her much-needed chlorophyll jabs withheld…

2. Shockingly high incidence of ear fetishism (and also a tendency to bite when aroused).

3. Betel nut babes. An endangered species, alas. Maybe some of us foreigners could revive this august tradition? Why not more foreign betel nut girls (and betel nut boys)? Do you teach in a cram school or a university? Looking for a more respectable, more meaningful career? Then get yourself a glass box on the edge of a highway and get jiggly in skimpy underwear!

4. Fox spirit shrines. OK, these also exist in Japan and northern China. But in Taiwan they’re popular with celebrities, sex workers, and schoolgirls gone wild of all ages and genders in need of high-level foxiness. Works for this devout schoolgirl.

9 Likes