Names of Sports Teams

The St. Louis Cardinals moved to Arizona and became the Arizona Cardinals. They play in Phoenix. I grew up there and NEVER SAW A SINGLE FUCKING CARDINAL EVER!

Or…the Los Angeles Lakers were originally the Minnesota Lakers (you know, Minnesota being the “land of 10,000 lakes”).

How about them Memphis Grizzlies…are there many Grizzly Bears in Tennessee?

Lions and Tigers in Detroit? Oh my!

Bears with Cubs in Chicago?

wolf:
thanks for stealing the big dead. how will st.louis ever forget them?

best name? my university of hawaii rainbow warriors. sadly they wussed out to make it the more macho and blander “warriors”.

[quote=“skeptic yank”]
best name? my university of Hawaii rainbow warriors. sadly they wussed out to make it the more macho and blander “warriors”.[/quote]

Rainbow Warriors? Great name. Sounds like a team of Greenpeace activists – I’d gladly root for them in any game. But I guess they’d be well and truly sunk if they came up against opponents from France.

Ah yes…the dreaded “Paris Poofters”.

Hmmm, thinking about the sinking of the Rainbow Warrior (was it really so long ago as 1985?) reminds me what a flagrant and badly botched example of state-conducted terrorism it was. I doubt if the French would dare to pull anything like that again in the present climate. If they did, it would make them legitimate targets for Bush’s war against terrorism, which would fill a lot of Americans with enormous glee, I’m sure.

On the names of sports teams, I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for Taiwan’s very own Brother Elephants. Though it doesn’t seem to have much to do with baseball or anything Taiwanese, it’s such a zany name that it really sticks in the mind. I couldn’t name any of the other professional sports teams in Taiwan, but I’ll never forget the Brother Elephants.

Nope, but I wrote it down just in case it ever comes up in Trivial Pursuit.

Wolf, that’s the team that immediately came to mind as well. Now, the Phoenix Suns makes sense, but the Cardinals?

I always thought that “Cornhuskers” was a fantastic name. I think it has something to do with hazing at U of N.

The Browns are now back in Cleveland, after a stint in Baltimore.

back in the daze of my youth, the carpetbagging owners were fleecing the local populace by posing as our “home” team. most everyone of the “cardiac cards” faithful knew the origin of the nickname. in the old days, teams didn’t have nicknames. one lady spectator commented something akin to “oh such wondeful jerseys. i love that shade of cardinal!” so…the team was named for the color of the jerseys first and the fiece crested finchy bird was added later.

billy bidwell’s death will be the greatest day in cardinal football history.

Sports Trivia Time…can’t be bothered to start a thread…maybe one day we’ll have a forum…

What record will never, ever be broken?

my record will never be broken: youngest unassisted triple play. in the summer of first grade. hurts to have peaked so early in life.

also, fernando tatis’ two grand slams in one inning.

barry bonds - 500 home runs, 500 stolen bases.

Now there’s some logic for you?

Improbable, unlikely, but by no means impossible.

[quote=“skeptic yank”]my record will never be broken: youngest unassisted triple play. in the summer of first grade. hurts to have peaked so early in life.

also, fernando tatis’ two grand slams in one inning.[/quote]

Can be beaten, and sorry to say, I mean both of them. So, you were playing shortstop, caught a line drive, stepped on second and the twit on first ran right to you? Is that kinda how it went down?

Reminds me of the time this guy stole second with the bases loaded… :unamused:

So can this.

Sorry guys, the closest you’ve gotten is you have the right sport.

The Toronto Blue Jays - World Series Champs for 3 yrs in a row!

improbable vs. impossible…you make the call.

the guy who had back to back no-hitters. somebody doing three back to back to back is statistically imposing. impossible? maybe.

ditto the two grandslams in an inning. yeah, given enough time, anything can happen but three GS in an inning…

shortest batter? gaedel has this prety secure until someone overturns the MLB ban on midgets his appearance provoked.

most career wins? can’t see anyone within the parameters of the game as it exists catching cy young.

spot on my triple play but i was in center field. bases loaded. caught the popfly. ran to second and tagged the clueless runner from first. i didn’t know they had league baseball for kindergarteners.

[quote=“skeptic yank”]
most career wins? can’t see anyone within the parameters of the game as it exists catching cy young.[/quote]

And we have a winner…to beat this record, a pitcher must have 25 20 win seasons and 13 more for good measure.

Next question…name pairs of teams with the same nickname…there used to be 7…I can name 5 existing pairs…bonus points for naming the now defunct two pairings…

[quote=“Toe Save”][quote=“skeptic yank”]
most career wins? can’t see anyone within the parameters of the game as it exists catching cy young.[/quote]

And we have a winner…to beat this record, a pitcher must have 25 20 win seasons and 13 more for good measure.

Next question…name pairs of teams with the same nickname…there used to be 7…I can name 5 existing pairs…bonus points for naming the now defunct two pairings…[/quote]

You would think with all those wins, Cy Young would also be among the very best for highest winning percentage, but he isn’t even in the top 50.

Not taking anything away from him, just pointing out that he pitched a massive number of games.