Names of Taipei neighborhoods

Well, on the map it’s
Taipei
Taichung
Kaoshiung

A more sensible change I’d like to suggest for Taipei City is this: rename Dictator Hall MRT Station to Nanmen MRT Station.

It’s more historically accurate (the Dictator Hall thing only showed up in the 1980s) and it completes the four gates among Taipei’s MRT station names.

Come on people, get this done! : D

Guy

1 Like

Some neighborhood names just don’t apply anymore: Combat Zone (because there’s no more combat), Snake Alley (because there are no more snakes) and Soho (South of Hoping) because Hoping is now Heping.

2 Likes

Next on this list is “Dinghao” (now more commonly called the East District) as the eponymous grocery chain (aka Wellcome) exits the market (it’s set to be taken over by Carrefour).

Guy

2 Likes

More like Zombie Zone (Combat Zone). Snookie Alley (old old old women grandmothers in mini-skirts making propositions). Soho? That’s pretty good nickname for Gangguan, wonder if it will catch on.

2 Likes

I hope that one does not catch on!

Guy

2 Likes

Maybe Namguang is better?

I been here too long.

This one put a smile on my face – a very long time ago I went to college just north of the SoHo in New York City.

And wouldn’t “South of Hoping” sound like “Despair”?

6 Likes

I bet lots of NTU and NTNU students feel south of hoping.

…Unless they are at the NTNU library!

[inside joke. I’ll let myself out now…]

Guy

I kind of get it. Me chuckling >>> good night.

I might get it. Same idea as an English bookstore? :speak_no_evil:

I confess I was thinking the same thing. :brain: :speak_no_evil:

one track mind cartoon

2 Likes

It was also the center of the garment industry some of which still remains on Dihua street.

Is Wellington Heights still used much these days to refer to the neighborhood next to Battleship Rock? Or did it go the way of Soho?

Say what?

I have no idea where these places are. :grin:

Guy

I think that name still applies. It’s in Chinese as well, so not a foreigner thing.

I know it’s lost its former prestige. It used to be even more exclusive than Tianmu. Now with the exodus of its Western residents (US military?), some of those freestanding homes are weather stained and in need of repair. Glad to hear the name is still used.

The answer was staring us in the face. It turned out to be 城北, a name that was used during the Japanese colonial era. In fact, there’s also 城東, 城南 and 城西. But the city government seems to have appropriated just north and south town.

3 Likes