Nancywu / Hickory Dickory Dork

Oh come on, enough with the phony hand-wringing over “exposing the culprit.” It sounds like someone had a few too many beers one night and decided to make some stupid jokes. No big deal - I’ve posted dumb stuff when I was drunk before as well. Just fess up, troll. In a couple of weeks everybody will have forgotten about this little incident, anyway. You know the IP - spill.

Okay Mod, but we should at least guess first - and I’ve already said that I think it’s CranKy LaoWai. Ni ne?

If done nicely in a “Hey, it turns out that Nancy Wu’s IP address is the same as yours XXX. So what’s going on there? Are you one and the same person as Nancy Wu, and have you been trolling us all, or what?” kind of way, I don’t think XXX would have much cause to complain. If he/she could explain it away and convince us of his/her innocence, then no harm would be done. If he or she fessed up or just lamely denied it in an unconvincing manner, his/her reputation here might be tarnished a little (or in some eyes, perhaps enhanced), but it wouldn’t have any more serious repercussions. Though over-the-top trolling can, I believe, be a banning offense, I doubt if anyone would suggest that a ban or formal warning would be in order here.

If I had done something a little bit naughty like that, and had failed to cover my tracks effectively, I’d expect to be exposed and have to answer for my actions.

But that’s just my personal take on this thing, and I wouldn’t have any problem with your deciding otherwise.

HAkAsOnIc, don’t you think I could troll better than that? :frowning:

Any harm done ?

do we really need to discuss this?

theres already enough bs in real life…simply ignore the troll-ing poster.

no need to fan the flames

-chris

[quote=“Alien”]I must ask the other mods first, Omni.

But often it’s harder to judge who is who on the IP thing as loads of names pop up. With this one, only one other name showed up. That’s a bit strange, don’t you think?
And I checked out the postings of the “other one” and they were occassionally semi-inflamatory, which leads me to believe that this is the culprit.
However, personally, my gut instinct tells me that exposing this person publicly isn’t the right thing to do.[/quote]
Oh, come on. What’s the big deal?? Personally, I thought that “Nancy’s” posts were hilarious right from the start. I doubt that the poster was “trolling”; as I posted early on, I took it for parody.

If there’s a board policy against two names, well, ok, scold the naughty prankster for that, but I really don’t see why Omni and others seem to be offended or hurt.

BTW, didn’t Hexuan already admit it? Or was he kidding? :slight_smile:

I’d enjoy knowing who it was, for purposes of congratulation, but if the vermicious knid prefers to bask in anonymity. . . .

Edited to add: just noticed the poll. Where’s the “yes, ‘she’ is a brilliant satirist!” option??

[quote=“MaPoDoFu”]

Edited to add: just noticed the poll. Where’s the “yes, ‘she’ is a brilliant satirist!” option??[/quote]
Oh, please!
No laws against double identity (not “indemnity”), as far as I know!
:sunglasses:
I agree with hexuan. No harm’s been done, except to those who were so obviously duped. That’s a real ego buster, eh?

:wink:

[quote=“fredericka bimmel”][quote=“MaPoDoFu”]

Edited to add: just noticed the poll. Where’s the “yes, ‘she’ is a brilliant satirist!” option??[/quote]
Oh, please!
No laws against double identity (not “indemnity”), as far as I know!
:sunglasses:
I agree with hexuan. No harm’s been done, except to those who were so obviously duped. That’s a real ego buster, eh?

:wink:[/quote]

Hey I was one of them ! :blush:

But at least you’re a three star dupee, hex.:wink:

[quote=“MaPoDoFu”] … scold the naughty prankster … but I really don’t see why Omni and others seem to be offended or hurt.
[/quote]

“Offended or hurt” MaPo? What on earth would give you that impression? Come on! Nothing I wrote could possibly suggest that I was either of those, or even in any way annoyed by the jest. If you look more closely, you’ll see that I described it as “something a little bit naughty”. But I would like to know who was responsible for it, partly out of curiosity and partly because that would enable me to better judge, on the basis of that person’s track record, whether it was pure parody or an attempt to cause a little mischief.

And yes, I was taken in by it when, bleary-eyed and fresh out of bed, I flicked on my computer and glanced at those posts on Sunday morning. When I looked again later in the day, it was pretty evident that they weren’t for real. But even knowing that, I think it would be worth replying – after all, they could and probably do reflect the real thoughts that go through the minds of some of the people who visit Forumosa and browse through the forums, and it’s best to chase them down and spear them rather than according them the countenance of silence.

It was a good laugh and it’s all over now.