Nankan <> Taipei

I’ve been in Nankan (north Taoyuan) since January and have really wanted to take a bike trip to Taipei. Distance on flat roads is no issue to me but I’m really really bad at going up hills (I think it’s a lung thing… but maybe that’s just an excuse). Other than going through that insane incline to Linkou, which my scooter can barely handle, is there any relatively flat way to get from here to Taipei?

Can’t imagine why you’d want to cycle to Taipei. The only way to avoid the Linkou hill is to go around it on the west side, along the coast road through Bali township. But that area is home to heavy industry and the port, and there’s lots of trucks. However, if you made it alive to Bali West Bank, you are then on the Taipei City cycle path network.

For fun, of course! I enjoy cycling, and I like visiting Taipei, so putting two and two together seems like a good idea to me.

I’ve scootered that road and I can tell that it would take an awfully long time by bike… I’d guess four hours? Would it be faster to bike down to Taoyuan city, through Yingge and up that way?

Like you Hokwongwei, I’ve scootered that coast road (#15 I think it is) to Taipei several times. Each time I’ve seen some bicyclists; however, every time I’ve been on that road it’s been extremely windy. The poor riders didn’t look like they were having an enjoyable, relaxing ride at all.

Maybe that’s just my impression. I know that lazy scooter-driving me would never try it. :moped:

follow the railway through YingGe and so on. Disgusting road, but flatter than Linkou, and a bit less industrial than the coast.

That’s the route I proposed above. Why is it disgusting? And do you know how long it takes?

the traffic is bad, both scooters and trucks, the road surface is beaten up in places, and the road sometimes gets quite narrow. and then you hit Sanchong and really experience a bad road.

I don’t know how fast you ride, but it’s not that far. I don’t recall how long it takes but it’s about an hour or so.

Once in Yingge, you could jump down to the edge of the river and follow the cycle path into Sanchong.

[quote=“urodacus”]the traffic is bad, both scooters and trucks, the road surface is beaten up in places, and the road sometimes gets quite narrow. and then you hit Sanchong and really experience a bad road.

I don’t know how fast you ride, but it’s not that far. I don’t recall how long it takes but it’s about an hour or so.

Once in Yingge, you could jump down to the edge of the river and follow the cycle path into Sanchong.[/quote]

LOL - an hour? I think even a pigeon would struggle to make that deadline.

That’s about 30km through Taoyuan City, Yingge, Sanxia, Tucheng and Banqiao (some of the nastiest industrial real estate in Taiwan.)

An hour sounds kind of unrealistic. I found a new road today (on scooter) that runs past the police university up to the Chang Gung Taoyuan branch. There is a small portion of it that’s quite uphill but I should be able to manage, and then the rest is downhill from there!

Well, I ride pretty fast. Where it’s flat, I’m trying to stick to 40 kmh or so in traffic, keeping up with scooters. Obviously not so possible once you get into really built-up areas.

It’s also not a route I have had the misfortune to do often, so my memory of the timings is not the strongest.