Napster doesn't work in Taiwan

Downloaded Napster and their CD burner and was set to go- I thought. A message came up saying that the service isn’t available in Taiwan.

So what does everyone else do for good MP3 downloads. By this I mean a good selection- all the popular stuff plus some more obscure choices like fusion and relatively unknown songs that well-known musicians have made (pure blues by Hendrix for example)- and no problems as far as attached spyware is concerned?

Can I get what I want with filesharing? I’ve never tried this but my instinct tells me just to pay a bit and I can get what I want with no worries.

Try Shareaza
shareaza.com/
No spyware, easy to use. Highly recommended.

Shareaza is incredibly slow. I’ve given up trying to use it. Anyone got anything better to reccommend?

Brian

If you are sneaky, you can still find the old KazaaLite K++ floating around. It’s free, of course. I love it! :smiley:

BitTorrent. Get Azureus and use www.lokitorrent.com and you’re racing.

So is paying for MP3 downloads only for dummies?

Napster isn’t available in Taiwan because the copyright laws protecting the music can’t be enforced here in relation to Napster. Only if and when Taiwan does something about this will Napster be available here. Same goes for Real Networks music sharing and all the rest…

No, but everyone knows the only places that actually count on the Internet are America and the UK. Why would they want to do something as stupid as offer the rest of the planet any sort of service?

Seriously though, until piracy outside of those two areas really starts to hurt the big labels, don’t expect jack shit to come this way in terms of actual service for paid MP3 downloads.

Apple seems to be going after the bigger music markets first for the iTunes Music Store. Next major target is Japan, which is proving harder than they expected because the labels see lower prices as a bigger threat than piracy. There has been speculation of March 2005. A successful Taiwan iTunes Music Store is going to have to have Japanese and ideally Korean music. I can’t see it happening in the next 18 months; perhaps much longer. But Korean and Taiwanese music lovers are already ahead of the curve when it comes to downloading music. And it’s not clear that the stores can catch up.

[quote=“Spack”]Try Shareaza
shareaza.com/
No spyware, easy to use. Highly recommended.[/quote]

Shareaza is the shit! Thanks Spack. From my all-day Sunday experience, more popular songs can be obtained in about 20 minutes. The more obscure stuff takes about two hours. I just get 4 or 5 downloads going at once, and check back every once in awhile. Right clicking then choosing “find more sources” is the way to go with this application.

tetsuo

suprnova was flying up until sunday … haven’t been able to get in since then. used them for 6 months, and already missing cd’s in 5 minutes.

do you know what’s up with them?

[quote=“xtrain_01”]tetsuo

suprnova was flying up until sunday … haven’t been able to get in since then. used them for 6 months, and already missing cd’s in 5 minutes.

do you know what’s up with them?[/quote]

The unofficial SuperNova closure FAQ:
silentdragz.net/suprfaq/

Badgerflaps. Ah well, Lokitorrent.com it is then.