Nasty accident

And since a good part of this thread is hit and runs…I had one a while back.

I was going straight on a 4-lane two way road. There was no other traffic on the road…other than one lone scooter heading the opposite direction going towards me. As I was about to pass by the scooter it turns in front of me to cross the road to enter an alley (had it been an actual intersection I might have been more aware). I clipped her rear tire with my front and went down. She stopped for a second…then took off. It was an elderly lady. I chased after her as quickly as I could…but failed to find her. Which probably is for the best. This happend many years ago.

in regards to the blue truck running over the injured victim… from what my wife has told me before… that’s normal… leave no witnesses - don’t need to worry about getting sued…

also guys… be careful about helping out at an accident… i asked once why nobody stopped to help me when i’d had an accident with an old guy who ran a red right in front of me… i was told it’s because sometimes the ‘victim’ (in the case of the criminal running) will tell the police that it was the ‘helper’ who hit them…

[quote=“x08”]also guys… be careful about helping out at an accident… I asked once why nobody stopped to help me when I’d had an accident with an old guy who ran a red right in front of me… I was told it’s because sometimes the ‘victim’ (in the case of the criminal running) will tell the police that it was the ‘helper’ who hit them…[/quote]We’ve discussed this before. I think it was Dangermouse who experienced exactly this. He said he’d help out at an accident again, though. I think this is bravery and compassion exemplified.

Still, there must be some sensible precautions to take. I suppose you might stop your own vehicle a little way away. (Anyway, surely the fact that your own vehicle doesn’t show collision damage counts for something?)

[quote]I was told it’s because sometimes the ‘victim’ (in the case of the criminal running) will tell the police that it was the ‘helper’ who hit them…
[/quote]

This happened to me when driving on highway 9 on the eat coast near Yuli. We were driving our van when we hit traffic (on the east coast?). it crawled for about 10 minutes before we passed a downed scooter driver on the highway, bleeding. He had hit the left guardrail of the bridge leading into Yuli. All the cars were simply passing by and rubbernecking.

we stopped to lend a hand. The guy was out cold, but breathing. We called the cops and an ambulance. When the cops came (half an hour later… no change in the man’s condition) they looked at the situation and immediately accused us of hitting him, despite the fact that anyone copuld see that he had hit the guardrail of the bridge.

It took us over an hour to convince the cops that we simply stopped to help out and had nothing to do with the situation.

Never found out if the guy was alright.

Ecaps

[quote=“x08”]in regards to the blue truck running over the injured victim… from what my wife has told me before… that’s normal… leave no witnesses - don’t need to worry about getting sued…

also guys… be careful about helping out at an accident… I asked once why nobody stopped to help me when I’d had an accident with an old guy who ran a red right in front of me… I was told it’s because sometimes the ‘victim’ (in the case of the criminal running) will tell the police that it was the ‘helper’ who hit them…[/quote]

…and somehow, the police just come along and believe anything they are told… :unamused: …no matter how many tell tale signs there usually are at an accident site, they still go on what the person that’s crying says!..completely absurd, but inline with Taiwan’s backwater (as plasmatron says) reputation.

Saw a really nice one this morning. Car had run the red and knocked an old man off his scooter. Three cops there. They’re blaming the old guy for being in the way of the redlight-running driver. Passersby were furious (its a kind of mini morning market, lots of veggie sellers and such, and I think they probably know the old guy) and telling the cops what happened. Cops uninterested – car was a nice Lexus, guy’s in a business suit, smiling and joking with the cops. Someone whips out their phone camera and starts taking shots of the cops and the scene. Cop gets mad, tries to snatch the phone off the woman, who begins shrieking at the cops and punching him. Cop nonplussed. Car driver starting to get into his car. Old cabbage-selling lady nips smartly in front of him, gets in car and shuts the door, all the while scolding the driver. Someone else starts taking pics of the cop fighting with the first photo-taker. Cop breaks down. Makes a run for his scooter and takes off. Much hilarity and catcalls. Other two cops stand there looking sheepish. Sandman busts a gut so hard he stalls his bike in the middle of the intersection and just about joins old guy on the pavement. I still have a warm rosy glow even now. :laughing:

Hillarious. I hope the old man is Ok and the Lexus prick gets his just deserves.