Molesting the wildlife!

Nope! Having some tea. :slight_smile: :tea:

My decades in Taiwan say the Coast Guard are not joking around on this one. Could be wrong :man_shrugging:

Who says it’s a real turtle or even a real kid?

3 Likes

Fake news!

1 Like

Faked video, digitally altered! Will it hold up in court?

1 Like

Make him do a video apology to the turtle :grinning:

6 Likes

I heard some locals were even seen standing on the turtles there . It got in the papers but never heard about any fine.

Here is the video clip .

https://youtu.be/3dTxN4f73_s

3 Likes

He should go back, catch the turtle, carve his name into it and save a few bucks.

This guy was supposedly prosecuted.

First attempted prosecution ever was in June so it’s a very recent thing.
It seems the turtles suddenly became really popular with tourists this year or something.

3 Likes

I think let off with a warning is good here
He’s a 17 year old if he only lightly touched it let him go

I think a fine is appropriate because you have to apply the law equally. How much is the question.
By the way the Philippines enforces this law much more strictly than Taiwan, Taiwan has done a very poor job of protecting it’s ocean life.

1 Like

Fines listed in article I posted were vastly lower than what are listed here. They probably have been updated.

Disagree , this is high profile and he should be punished , or if they don’t how can they not punish others for doing the same thing. That would be seen as racism. He needs punishment.
Now if the turtle bit his hand and he got eaten by sharks I’d agree with you.

1 Like

No no he should then be tried in absentia and the fine applied post humous according to your standard

Is that after he added the tahini and lemon juice?

3 Likes

I don’t even know what that means Legal Eagle, but I do know he broke a wildlife law and why should he be let off. The parents of a German child , who go on a snorkeling holiday in Taiwan cant afford it ? Why should he not pay ? Then why should locals be fined for that ? So just make a special law for him?

1 Like

let’s fine this bastard, that will teach these tourists thinking they could do something fun in Taiwan.

1 Like

The problem is there is evidence out there in public that he interfered with the turtle. The authorities have to be seen to be acting following recent cases .
Ultimately it builds awareness .

3 Likes

Oooh someone touched a turtle while scuba diving, big deal… How pathetic is this???

1 Like

More importantly what about the turtles kept in the temple in penghu

2 Likes

Touch a turtle big fines.
Repeatedly kick and chase a street dog… it’s the culture you see.

Kid should have waited to go home to post the pic

1 Like