NatGeo 1920 article on Formosa by a Japanophile

A gem from Michael Turton’s site: Formosa the Beautiful.

Very cool!

How many times in that article does the Word “savage” appear? We’ll need some sharp individual to add 'em up.

I nominate :bravo: Jimi. :bravo:

Fascinating stuff. Notice the water bearers of the Pepo (pingpu?) group. “They long had intercourse both with the Dutch and the Chinese”. Does that mean what it seems to mean?

Well, they also did in the sense you mean, but the writer has “dealings, business” in mind, rather than anything sexual. Common usage of the word from that era.

The electrified fence built from Hualian to Taidong, with a cleared area and manned with IJA guard houses 7/24 impressed me. The actual route of the fence would be interesting… how much of it was upland and how much was in the deltas and foothills. The picture looks like it went through some serious mountains. Guess who built the fence … the same people that built the N. Cross-Island Hwy. I surmise that the NCIH also had plenty of IJA garrisons.

There are a few tenured members of this site that know a thing or two about the ‘Taiwan Head Hunters’. :whistle:

You mean those working for HR firms? :slight_smile:

Well, they also did in the sense you mean, but the writer has “dealings, business” in mind, rather than anything sexual. Common usage of the word from that era.[/quote]

Correct.

native Taiwanese

This one is with the great and famous Canadian McKay.
scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hph … e=54636E57

Another one

They’re just Taiwanese. No surprise. Just us.

Two native Taiwanese women willing adopting Chinese culture.

what the article says about the parallel mountain ranges each with a different shade is what I remember riding on the highway when I was a kid…