National Heritage Sites: After hours "excursions"

[quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”]Chill man, it’s cool. The entire population of Anping grew up breaking into the Dutch fort. It’s a right of passage for people from Tainan to wander around the heritage sites at night.

You might find yourself on the news though - ‘foreigner so interested in history, even turns up after closing time!’ or something equally mundane @.@;; Then we can all be treated to the same 2-second blurry shot of you walking past over and over roughly 200 times a day for the next week.

BTW, where is this boat thingy? I’d like to go explore too :smiley:[/quote]
It’s across the road from the Eternal Golden Castle.

You forgot that we could then also have a thread on the Mosa where three guys will defend the perpetrator, while the rest would pick at his carcass and bemoan how foreigners in Taiwan have no respect for local culture… :smiley:

"white ghost caught on security camera ! "

I get t-shirt rights.

This is actually a rather interesting question. The answer depends on quite a few variables.

Who are they “supposed” to be working for?
Who are they “actually” working for?
What is the actions they have taken that are deemed “spying”?
Is this an ongoing ‘spy effort’ or a one-shot deal?
Did they know they were committing an action deemed an act of espionage by the Taiwanese Govt/Military?
Did they receive financial reward for their act?

etc., etc., etc. The check-list is a long one. One of the more interesting questions is:

Is this person on the list of foreign agents submitted to the Taiwanese Gov’t/Military?

Yes, there is actually a formal list that exists where “spies” can have their identity logged in when they come to Taiwan.
(I think it gets them a discount card for certain stores - j/k)

To answer you question BP, very few “spies” get executed now-a-days. Usually de-briefed by their captors, they make a deal, then get traded back to the home team. Or they just go to work for whoever caught them.
Its a complicated job.

[quote=“bismarck”]

You forgot that we could then also have a thread on the Mosa where three guys will defend the perpetrator, while the rest would pick at his carcass and bemoan how foreigners in Taiwan have no respect for local culture… :smiley:[/quote]

Oh, my apologies. That’s definitely true.

Maybe add in a few facebook fan pages for the White Ghost & His T-Shirts, and then two anti-foreigner flame fests in badly written chinese.

:lick: Yummy.

ooh I’ve never been to Eternal Golden Castle. Since we’re on the topic, is that sneak-in-able at night as well?

[quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”][quote=“bismarck”]

You forgot that we could then also have a thread on the Mosa where three guys will defend the perpetrator, while the rest would pick at his carcass and bemoan how foreigners in Taiwan have no respect for local culture… :smiley:[/quote]

Oh, my apologies. That’s definitely true.

Maybe add in a few facebook fan pages for the White Ghost & His T-Shirts, and then two anti-foreigner flame fests in badly written chinese.

:lick: Yummy.

ooh I’ve never been to Eternal Golden Castle. Since we’re on the topic, is that sneak-in-able at night as well?[/quote]
If I said yes, would I be incriminating myself?

When I was younger and we used to take off on bike trips nearly every weekend, we used to sometimes go down to Hsi Fen Liao and stay in the park after closing time.
They had these wicked permanent hammocks up and we’d just put our sleeping bags on them and presto.
It was pretty wild, there were all these rope climbs and obstacle course-ish type deals, and the place is totally shrouded in fog after sundown, so we’d go out and fool around on the big net-walks and rope ladder things and you couldn’t see a foot in front of you.
Of course, occupational hazard, you’d wake up and the park would be just opened and there would be a 7-member Taiwanese family standing there with coolers etc., just standing there watching you, ready to claim the spot.

Who wants to go skinny dipping?