National Pride, Korea vs. Taiwan

Shin-soo Choo wanted to represent Korea in the World Baseball Classic really bad. His club, the Texas Rangers, had to submit an objection to Major League Baseball, based on his being an injury risk, to restrain him.
http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/mlb/texas-rangers/article120938208.html

Contrast him with Wei-yin Chen. When asked by the Taiwanese media about his participation, he said something to the extent of, “I need to get my team’s permission. I’m only in the second year of my contract. We’ll see what my team says.”

Yessa, Massa.

Conflating a deficit of rabid nationalistic pride with a slave mentality seems a little extreme.

1 Like

I would personal love to have represented Taiwan in the WBC. But to be fair, choo is already an established MLB player that’s a vet and a 20 20 player.

Wei hasn’t done too well, not terrible but he’s definitely in a position to lose his spot in a rotation. So I think he wanted to make sure he’s ready for the season and get his money

1 Like

Good point. Wei’s salary goes up to $11 million next year. After that, he’s set for life. Hopefully he can pitch in 2011.

I’m telling Taiwanese people to wake the hell up.

Having lived and worked in Korea and having dealt with the feverish nationalism that would be paired with racism and xenophobia for those that weren’t Korean pureblood, I find it refreshing that Taiwanese aren’t as rabid and brainwashed about their national identity. They’re, on average, more open-minded and individualistic than their East Asian neighbors.

Also, who gives a shit?

2 Likes

We need our best players representing in the World Baseball Classic, duh.

What does your personal level of patriotism have to do with your baseball playing skills? Please show me the correlation. K, thnx!

This conversation isn’t as interesting with people who don’t follow baseball.

I hate to say it this way but Wei got lucky with Jose Fernandezs death. He is a veteran pitcher had a few good years. But was struggling a little. But he was def only a 3-5 spot guy on a team. And he was a couple bad outings away from being sent to the minors. But the marlins just suck to bad and they needed his at least somewhat decent stability. He wasn’t going to give you shut out 9 innings but he was going to give you 6-7 innings of 2-4 run baseball which is not bad. Teams need guys that can do that, and he still has flashes of greatness with that lefty slider when he can locate.

1 Like

Chen has caught a lot of flak for this issue from some Taiwanese baseball fans. So far there has been 4 WBCs. Chen missed out on every single one of them, despite basically being on the initial Team Taiwan roster every single time.

Chen was definitely hurt prior to the 2006 WBC, so no one could fault him on that. For 2009 he had just recovered from an injury and didn’t perform well the previous season, so he turned it down. He pretty much entered DL right off the gate in 2009 as well, so it’s also pretty understandable.

Some fans weren’t happy about how he missed the next two WBCs. The preliminary rounds of the 2013 WBC was held in November of 2012. Chen was already a starting pitcher of the Orioles. He pitched in the post season in October and got a win against the Yankees, so he was still in playing condition. Chen’s official reason for turning this one down was that they are expecting the arrival of his son. That one kind of became a mime amongst some fans.

He turned down the latest one because as the article quoted, that he wanted to get his team’s permission. That further antagonized some fans.

I personally have no issue with him turning the last two down. I can understand wanting to be there for his newborn child, and I think his latest refusal has more to do with how the MLB is handling the WBC internally than Chen himself.

Him missing out on these big international competitions doesn’t sit well with a small portion of fans though, and it’s a reason why Chen isn’t as big as of star compares to Wang here in Taiwan.

To his defence, Chen did pitch in the 2008 Olympics. Too bad that was an memory that most Taiwanese baseball fans wants to erase from their heads.

1 Like

Always have liked Chen over Wang, as Chen played for one of my favorite teams before going to Marlins. Wang seemed less personable or a bit standoffish (maybe that’s just his style).

FTV must’ve signed a long-term contract to just broadcast Yankees games, starting off when Wang was big with them, because it seems that all they would broadcast were Yankee games on FTV even after he was let go.

Anyone know how Taiwanese players have gotten along in the U.S. (besides having children there, like Chen)? Do they assimilate by trying to learn the language, etc.?

1 Like

Yessa, Massa. I’ll tell Shin-soo Choo and those field Chinamen to stop being so nationalistic.

You already replied to that post hours ago. Did you feel compelled to reply again just so you could delight us all with that AWESOME slave impression?

I’m sure the millions of dollars he earns makes his “slavery” a bit more tolerable. :roll_eyes:

An admirable sentiment, but somehow I don’t think that kind of insult is going to do the trick.

Hmm…I think the NPB is much more likely to release its players.

The MLB is very short-sighted.

But I think it’s a good thing that fans demand a lot out of Taiwanese players as far as playing for the national team.

It’d be awesome if Korea were to let Wei-chung Wang play.

You don’t think he has good stuff? TBH, I haven’t followed him the past two years (for personal reasons).

He led the majors in exit speed suppression.

some deep data-mining there. Good to see the pic of him and his former team’s hat on that stat-page.

1 Like

I watched a whole bunch of those discussion shows they had after the World Classic last year. I can’t remember where I heard it from, but one of the older guys said he talked to 胡智為and said he wanted to play, bit didn’t because of all the chaos that was going on.