Nationality of child born in Taiwan to UK father

What is the nationality / citizenship status of a child born in Taiwan to a father with a UK citizen / passport holder ? … automatically entitled to UK passport / citizenship ?

If the father is “British other than by descent”, i.e. a bog-standard brit, born in the UK to UK parents etc. then the child can also be British. How you do the paperwork for this, I have no idea.

That child is then “British by descent” so their children won’t be British if not born in the UK.

You child is a British Citizen by descent from the moment of his birth. If you wish him to be British otherwise than by descent, then you will need to have him registered as a British Citizen in the UK and there is a residential requirement. This will allow him to pass on British citizenship to his overseas-born children. (“he” or “she” doesn’t matter)

Would Americans (of the 50 states) be considered “British by descent”? Or would they be considered

My two children have taiwan citizenship and English birth certificates. They can be issued with a UK passport anytime. They already have UK health insurance cards.

Getting the UK birth certificates is a simple procedure at the BCCT. It cost me 1,000NT for a local lawyer to certify the paperwork.

I thought UK National Insurance Cards weren’t issued until the kid was 12 or 14 or something, and only in the UK. Perhaps things have changed since I last looked. Normally they won’t issue National Insurance numbers unless there is a reason (UK citizen coming of age, or an immigrant who needs to work or pay taxes).

[quote=“marky”]Would Americans (of the 50 states) be considered “British by descent”? Or would they be considered