Native Taiwanese / Formosan (?)

Who are the Cherokee, Navajo, etc etc, equivalent on the island, and where are their “reservations”/reservation equivalent?

If I ever visit again, one of my main interests would be to check out the art and culture of the native people.

Legit answers only, please.

They are everywhere, basically. No “reservations” as far as I know. Some areas have aboriginal villages, and they have some special rights for example for hunting in certain areas like national parks.

There should be lots of info available online, maybe a starting point:

1 Like

Awesome, I know some Disney staff visited as part of their wide research for Moana – just couldn’t find specifically where. Thanks!

This museum across from the Gu Gong would be a good starting point

1 Like

Sandimen in Pingtung is mostly aboriginal people.

Orchid Island tao. Wulai beyond the tourist enclave.

Check out the May/June issue of Taiwan Review
https://taiwantoday.tw/tr.php?post=2579

https://taiwantoday.tw/news.php?post=133274&unit=12,20,33&unitname=Taiwan-Review&postname=Indigenous-Empowerment

https://taiwantoday.tw/news.php?post=133275&unit=12,20,33&unitname=Taiwan-Review&postname=Lasting-Legacy

https://taiwantoday.tw/news.php?post=133279&unit=12,20,33&unitname=Taiwan-Review&postname=Tribal-Renaissance

Oh, one more point regarding “reservations”: throughout the last few hundred years, Taiwan was colonized a few times by different people. But the Aboriginals never gave up their claim to Taiwan as their motherland of more than 6000 years. They recently reminded the Chinese of that fact:

the aboriginals have been here for 6000 years. that beats out chinese cultures 5000 year history! although i am plenty sure the chinese would think of some retort to that…

3 Likes

A huge resource is the CIP website

https://www.apc.gov.tw/portal/index.html?lang=en_US

As for Disney, they used Matzka (Piawan) to voice Maui in the Chinese language version.

Edit: if you are interested i found this group quite interesting. It looks at the migration of people from Taiwan

The Narrative: Sharing a seafaring ancestry

From Taiwan to Aotearoa/New Zealand; From Rapa Nui to Madagascar.

2 Likes

Taiwan is homeland of Austronesian peoples, which is a linguistic and cultural ethnic group that stretches across Indian and Pacific Oceans, from Taiwan to Indonesia, Madagascar, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Hawaii, and Easter Island.

The aboriginal peoples of Taiwan once had megalith cultures.

They were also capable of shipping slabs basalt rocks from Penghu islands to multiple locations in Taiwan, and use them as building materials.

Prehistoric Taiwanese people also had a jade culture, where jade ware from Taidong was traded all around the island, as well as overseas to Vietnam and the Philippines.

The thin cylindrical ware are actually tubes, with a fine hole drilled through the middle. As jade is actually pretty hard to drill through, scientists are puzzled by how prehistoric Taiwanese people were able to drill such a fine straight hole down the middle of these tubes, especially since it is presumed that these jade wares were made by neolithic cultures.

There are at least 13 linguistically different aboriginal groups in Taiwan today. There have been more recorded in the past 400 years that had since been wiped out by colonialism. Most aboriginal languages are severely disrupted by KMT rule, and are on the brink of extinction. Today, there are only around 569 thousand aboriginals in Taiwan.

Main linguistic and cultural ethnic groups ranked by population:

Pangcah (a.k.a. Amis)
Paiwan
Atayal (includes Squliq, Skikun, Ts’ole’, Ci’uli, Mayrinax, Plngawan dialects which are so diverse they could be considered as individual languages)
Bunun
Truku
Puyuma
Rukai
Seediq
Saisiyat
Tsou
Tao (a.k.a. Yami)
Kavalan
Sakizaya
Thao
Saaroa
Kanakanabu

When the Japanese anthropologists got the names for the Tao and Pangcah, they asked their southern neighbors what to call them. The response was “Northerners” and that’s why Yami and Amis look so similar, as they share the same Austronesian etymology for North.

9 Likes

They paddled over all the way from north America too, which was a serious feet.

They didn’t eat rice either, cause that’s Chinese. So they mostly just ate freedom fries, dipped in colemans

Scary how similar those jades look to the ones made by Mayans…

3 Likes

:thinking: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Clearly not chy-knees!

read somewhere they originated from what is today China but were in no way Han people that dominate the China mainland today.
They came from China eons ago, settled in Taiwan and from Taiwan branched out all the way to Hawaii. I believe they then went from Hawaii to the US mainland and downwards to South America.

course that is assuming they originated in what is today China. I do believe they are related to north and south american indigenous peoples.

1 Like

You got all that… off the top of your head…?

I’m so impressed by you right now.

You mean eco friendly straws. They were just being environmentally conscious, man.

In LA we’re replacing plastic straws with paper and metal ones. Those whacky Formosans, such hipsters.

4 Likes

Jade straws, someone get me the patent office

3 Likes

@tempogain @Icon Gracias! :beers:

Is there a special version of You’re Welcome?

Haha. I just find these native cultures so goddamn beautiful.

Knowing full well I/:us: won’t exist if it weren’t for colonialism… it’s still sad and a shame to know so much art and culture were stymied or is close to extinction because of colonialism.

I guess we can’t blame it all on “ colonialism “ . History tends to be an evolution and mix of different cultures and beliefs surely? Normally the most efficient or modern culture overtakes the “ old ways” … it’s not always the guns and oppression, indigenous peoples seem to get drawn into the larger society . It is a shame to lose the original identity and culture of a nation . People only seem to care when things are on the verge of extinction…

1 Like

As @hansioux said there are many different tribes each with there own language/ tradition 16 recognised ones by the indigenous council.

The Piawan would say “Masalu” which is thank you and your welcome.