Native Taiwanese / Formosan (?)

It scares me how close that sounds to the Hawaiian mahalo.

But… no, You’re Welcome was capitalized because it’s an actual song from Moana:

https://youtu.be/79DijItQXMM

Youtube did not yield any Disney songs from masalu.

Im not a big watcher of Disney I have watched Mona and thought it was funny but can’t remember the songs so missed your reference.

To juxtapose your Disney song this is the person who played that part in the chinese language version.
https://youtu.be/MHSOhFP-wb8

1 Like

In Saisiyat thank you is ma’alo

We got jade bedding for summer, so, just one more tiny step further.

If I am not mistaken, the tubes/straws were actually hair ornaments.

2 Likes

That’s a similar story to the indigenous peoples across much of southern China. Also many just assumed Han identity so many Han are not Han at all, or put another way Han includes indigenous peoples in some or many cases.

None of that accounts for the magnificent feet though, or the dipping of chips in colemans.

I recon they split from the people that populated north America before they reached north America, with some going east and others going south.

1 Like

Be honest: Are you sore from all this flexing?

P.S. Holy shit. :exploding_head:

?? Jade comes in thread form? (you can get golden threads, but gold is a malleable and a metal. Thinking how that is scientifically achievable)

I do not believe those two functions are mutually exclusive, hermana :rofl:

Haven`t you seen the jade mini blocks strewn together like a blanket? They say it is very cooling.

As to the straw controversy, I wonder what the equivalent of chocolate/chicha was around these parts…

There are in fact “reserved lands” (原住民保留地) for Indigenous tribes in Taiwan, as defined by the “Indigenous People Basic Law” (see here for the English part; or here for the Chinese)

Article 21 When governments or private parties engage in land development, resource utilization, ecology conservation and academic research in indigenous land, tribe and their adjoin-land which owned by governments, they shall consult and obtain consent by indigenous peoples or tribes, even their participation, and share benefits with indigenous people. In the event that the governments, laws or regulations impose restrictions on indigenous peoples’ utilization of the land in preceding paragraph and natural resources, the government shall consult with indigenous peoples, tribes or indigenous people and obtain their consent; the competent authority shall allocate ample funding in their budget to compensate their damage by restrictions. A fixed proportion of revenues generated in accordance with the preceding two paragraphs shall be allocated to the indigenous peoples’ development fund to serve as returns or compensations. The central indigenous competent authority shall stipulate the regulations for delimiting the area of indigenous land, tribe and their adjoin-land which owned by governments, procedures to consult, to obtain consent by indigenous peoples or tribes and to participate and compensation to their damage by restrictions in preceding three paragraph.

Here’s the map:

But of course, there had a lot of challenges (you can read this article for example), and even now there are associations opposed to the reserved lands (for example, the 台灣山地鄉平地住民權利促進會, briefly 平權會, but its name is kind of… a real joke), they argue for more equality, so there souldn’t be “reserved lands” for Indigenous people (since there are reserved, Non-Indigenous people cant’t buy them).

In fact there are some many ways to be in touch with Indigenous people. There are university associations of Indigenous students in almost every university in Taipei, gathering every week and discussing issues of interests (I still remember when I attempted to one of them about the representation of Indigenous people in Taiwanese movies from post-war until now, I learned a lot!). But the presentations are not formal at all, so there are a lot of opportunities to chat with the students! :slight_smile:

There are also free weekly language classes in Taipei (informations here!), I’ve already made fieldword investigation with one of the teachers (about Northern Amis), she is so nice! There are also a lot of online materials to learn the languages, I think they made a great work. I really don’t understand why there aren’t more advertisements about these classes!

2 Likes

In public schools you can also choose an indigenous language instead of Minnan/ Hakka. Also saw a news article a few years ago about an old aboriginal man who couldn’t speak Chinese. One of the last hold outs.

1 Like

It’s funny … the old gentleman who actually signed all the papers at my old company , although didn’t get involved much day to day , refused to speak mandarin unless he had to . Actually asked people to talk to him in Taiwanese .

2 Likes

My PIL don’t speak a word of Mandarin. It’s done wonders for my Taiwanese lol

4 Likes

Are you Shure he isn’t Welsh?

My in laws also refuse to speak mandarin. Only speak the local tuhua. Mixture of Hmong and old xiang. Surprising thing for me is that I mostly understand them. Context being everything.

I did a whole lot of internet searching to try to figure out what exactly they were speaking and got about four different answers. There’s several languages in the mix, granny speaks a different language to the rest of the family too. Plus she is deaf for good measure

What are the lime green and dark green, population density?

Designated protected first nations areas.

Bit of news:

Exhibition celebrates ‘indigenous people’ anniversary in Taiwan

Taipei, July 23 (CNA) An exhibition that highlights the 25th anniversary of the recognition of the term “indigenous people” in Taiwan, opened in Taipei on Tuesday, with the aim of showcasing the proper status of the country’s original inhabitants.

The exhibition, which runs through Aug. 11 at the National Central Library, includes photos and information displays on the movement to gain indigenous people recognition from 1984 to 1994, according to the organizer, the Council of Indigenous Peoples (CIP).

Icyang Parod, CIP minister, said prior to 1994, Taiwan’s indigenous population used to be officially referred to as “shan bao,” which translates as “mountain dwelling compatriots.”

However, that designation failed to recognize indigenous people as the original inhabitants of Taiwan because it classified them under a naming system that didn’t reflect their true identity, Icyang said.

“In 1984, which was 35 years ago, people used to call us ‘shan bao’ and the government at the time further separated us into ‘plains dwelling mountain compatriots’ and ‘mountain dwelling compatriots’,” he said.

Fascinating.

I think that translation loses some of the socioethnical message embedded in the term 山胞. 同胞 in Chinese literally means of the same mother, but is taken to mean brothers or family in a broad ethical sense. For Han Chinese, to call someone 同胞 infers the other person is also the descendant of the Yellow Emperor and Yan Emperor.

Calling Taiwan’s indigenous people 山地同胞 (the original form of 山胞) implies that they are descendants of Yellow Emperor and Yan Emperor, and thus share a same origin as the Han Chinese people, therefore couldn’t have been on this island for for than 5,000 years.

While in reality, Taiwanese aboriginal peoples have been on the island since the end of the last ice age some 10,000 years ago.

1 Like

At that time they were the main culture across southvwestern coastal China. In addition they also in some cases mixed and/or supplanted the actual first peoples of south east asia, who were Melanesians.

There is one Taiwanese group that have a ceremony to appease the spirits of the first men, which according to their folklore were wiped out. Dems peoples had been in the neighbor hood for tens of thousands of years, most of prehistory.

1280px-Likely_routes_of_early_rice_transfer%2C_and_possible_language_family_homelands_(archaeological_sites_in_China_and_SE_Asia_shown)

3 Likes

Wasn’t an island at that time. Sea levels were lower. Very rough coastline in the pic I posted there shown in light blue.

Only need a boat to get past the Wallace line round Sulawesi.

Well Taiwanese was my first language and before I graduated from high school i could not put together a sentence in mandarin.

I could speak only taiwanese and english.

Most of the old timers in Taiwan spoke taiwanese and many spoke no mandarin back in the old days…they may speak japanese though.

my family on my moms side spoke Japanese and Taiwanese only when I was growing up.

While it is certainly true that Early Austronesians arrived to Taiwan, likely by a land bridge across today’s Taiwan strait, from Southeastern coastal China 10,000 years ago, after they’ve arrived in Taiwan, it took another 5,000 years before they developed seafaring technology to migrate to the Philippines. By then the original Austronesians in Taiwan were fairly different from their counterpart who remained in coastal China.

1 Like