Naturalisation - Processing while overseas

I’m pretty sure you cannot apply for roc passport or tarc without the certificate in your hand.

If you are supposed to receive it by yourself at NIA, maybe not hho, you cannot omit that part, then can apply for your passport and tarc in Australia or in Taiwan at the same time you receive the certificate.

1 Like

I think I’ll need it too but I’d like to try just to see what happens.

Ideally my new employer will give me a May start date and I only need to fly back to Taiwan once to submit my renunciation documents.

If I arrange for someone to collect and post the documents to me, that helps a lot too.

Only terrorism offences

will be just rejected.

護照條例施行細則
第4條 本條例第六條所稱具有我國國籍者,應檢附下列各款文件之一,以為證明:

臺灣地區無戶籍國民申請入國居留定居許可辦法
第12條 無戶籍國民申請居留,應檢附下列文件,向移民署為之:

三、我國護照或其他足資證明具有我國國籍之文件。

You may also want to get a confirmation from an authority that you can exit on your Australian passport after you apply for naturalization, before your naturalization certificate is issued. You may not need an roc passport, but still need an exit entry permit, no? I guess they give the permit when you need to go abroad between your application for naturalization and the issuance of the certificate (undergoing the process of naturalization).

第 29 條
2 外國人或無國籍人經歸化取得我國國籍者,首次出國應持我國護照。

If you should collect you naturalization certificate in person, most probably you should apply for your tarc and roc passport at the same time in Taiwan, and should exit on your roc passport.

Yeah, there’s this belief that anytime you run into a problem in Taiwan you should “lawyer up” as one person on this site always says. Yes, there are some instances where a competent lawyer makes sense. But, in many instances they’re just going to take your money and do what any other person would do and that is google and ask around….and hope that they don’t screw up. But, that won’t matter once they’ve taken your money and then they can blame it on some “unforeseen circumstances.”

2 Likes

I’ve sent an email to MOI to clarify the exit/entry procedures but there is nothing in the Nationality Act that requires you to be physically present in Taiwan when the application for naturalisation is approved.
Based on Tando’s help and my own research, I’m pretty sure my physical presence in Taiwan is only required when 1. Making the application and 2. Submitting proof of renunciation

It seems like the path of least resistance is

1. Apply for naturalisation (hopefully my new job’s start date is after my naturalisation date). At the same time ask about procedures entering/exiting during processing times.

2. Sign a power of attorney for someone to collect the TARC and certificate of naturalisation on my behalf. Leave Taiwan. That person post the docs to me in Australia.

1. Now I have my TARC and naturalisation certificate in hand. Go to TECO and apply for my ROC passport.

Note: I now have everything I need to proceed with renunciation of Australian citizenship and be downgraded to a permanent resident.

1. Within a year fly back to Taiwan and enter using my TARC and ROC passport to submit my renunciation documents.

@Pendulum I agree. For administrative and Civil matters lawyers have never offered anything of value to me or anyone else I know. For criminal matters I would definitely be lawyering up but I’m not a criminal

FYR You do not need to be presented to submit your naturalization application. It is clearly written in Art.2 of Enforcement Rules of the Nationality Act

2 Likes

I did read that but other than a legal representative (which I do not want), I can’t imagine anyone I know who would be willing to submit the application for me :sweat_smile:

Having a friend pick up the approval for me would be easy though

In my opinion, submitting application (which is fully ready) is not a point. From my experience, they may have a lot questions. May require additional papers, re-approvals etc. So, we spent few weeks to finalize my family submissions.
Also, maybe useful for you. My family did naturalization application together with TARC application at HHR. Then we kept our old ARC cards with us. Then, after our application approved we came to HHR, received naturalization certificates, and swopped ARCs to TARCs on the same time. Probably, in your case the procedure should be somewhat different.

4 Likes

it says “the applicant’s legal representative”, so OP cannot use an arbitrarily appointed representative, iiuc.

OK. I see… but in such case it looks that without of appointed lawyer you cannot do much

is not a usual representative. should be a guardian.

Civil Code

Article 1098
A guardian within the scope of his/her delegated power is the statutory agent of his ward.
Where the guardian has a conflict of interest with his/her ward or he/she cannot be the statutory agent to the ward under the law, the court can appoint a special agent based upon its discretion or the petition of the guardian, the ward, competent authority, organization of social welfare, or other interested persons.

1 Like

I’m married to a Taiwanese citizen and the lady at my local HHR is already prepped to submit my application. We’ve slowly (and deliberately) built a good relationship with a couple of the staff there and I’ve already done my naturalisation test. Having working relationships with these offices always makes things easier. I don’t foresee her saying I need extra documents or making my life unnecessarily difficult

This job in Australia was kind of unexpected but it’s more than twice as much money with 10x as much annual leave than my job here. And it’s 100% WFH (but physical location in Australia mandatory)

According to my lady at the HHO all I need to do is pay the fees at the post office, give her a few photos and my ARC then she can submit the application.

1 Like

I was told this until I had the ID passport, wasn’t told this when I was on the NWOHR passport+TARC.

1 Like

Also thinking logically. I would be leaving Taiwan using the only passport I have and the only passport I’m entitled too.

And if I was supposed to leave on my NWOHR ROC passport, well 1. that was impossible at the time as I wasn’t a ROC national at the time and 2. The next time I enter I will be a national with residency… it’s not like they’d have grounds to refuse me entry.

There’s nothing in the nationality act or immigration act saying I can’t leave

Although Taiwan isn’t the place of logic

You don’t pay the fees at the post office. You get checks for the Ministry of Interior and NIA at the post office. They use the checks instead of paying in cash because it is all done via mail.

Ministry of Interior check is to pay for the naturalization application.
Ministry of Interior: National Immigration check is to pay for the TARC application.

1 Like

Ohhh gotcha. My HHRO lady just handed me a piece of paper and told me to show the post office that piece of paper and give them money.

She will be applying for my TARC as well

1 Like

Yeah that is usually easier than explaining all of that in Chinese to you.
They apply for your naturalization and TARC via mail for you. They might also ask you to buy the mail-stamped envelopes from the post office as well.

You pick ip the naturalisation certificate and TARC directly from the Household Registration Office, right?

I will use the letter of attorney to have a friend pick up the TARC and naturalisation cert from the household registration office for me and he will post it to me on Oz

Yes, that is correct.
If I remember correctly, your naturalization certificate arrives first, then they use that to apply for the TARC and call you when all is done and you trade your ARC for the TARC there.

They didn’t keep my APRC until they gave me the TARC.

1 Like