NBA buzz about Jeremy Lin (林書豪)

Thought some people on this board might have some interest in the story.

Here’s his wiki page:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Lin

He’s performed well enough in the NBA Summer League that there’s starting to be some talk about him signing with a NBA team this year.

sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/co … id=5387547

[quote]Lin is on the verge of signing an NBA contract, and it could be with the Mavericks, who view him as an intriguing developmental point guard and a strong candidate to run the club’s new D-League affiliate that begins play this fall in Frisco.

Suddenly, the player deemed too flawed in most major areas to survive in the NBA is in contract discussions with three teams, according to league sources. The Los Angeles Lakers are believed to be one, with an Eastern Conference team the other.[/quote]

voices.washingtonpost.com/dcspor … y_lin.html

espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/post/_ … ue-roundup

[quote]Jeremy Lin stole the show late in the stellar Dallas-Washington game. With the Mavs down a couple of possessions, Wall and JaVale McGee trapped Lin off a high ball screen. Lin split the defenders, darting left through the opening. Against the collapsing Washington defense, Lin then propelled 270 degrees in the air to get off a right-handed jumper against contact. The acrobatics roused the Cox Pavilion crowd, who almost rioted when Lin was whistled for a charge.

Zach Harper of Hardwood Paroxysm on the John Wall-Jeremy Lin fourth quarter battle: “Funny thing happened on the way to the Bellagio … Jeremy Lin and John Wall faced off in the fourth quarter of the Wizards-Mavericks game in Vegas and pretty much played each other to a standstill. That’s right. An undrafted Harvard, SMAHRT kid, point guard went toe-to-toe with the number-one pick in the NBA draft and sort-of held his own. The final box score will show John Wall with an impressive 21 points (let’s just forget about the 4/19 shooting), 10 assists and seven rebounds. But it won’t show that the majority of the Lin’s 11 fourth quarter points were the result of him getting the better of the ‘best player in the draft’ for times than Wall will care to remember. Lin and Wall played the equivalent of an iso chess match on the hardwood game board. The kid from the Ivy League refused to back down from the YouTube sensation and while Wall walked away with the highlight reel, Lin walked away as the fan favorite.”
[/quote]

Super clean cut Taiwanese boy with a Harvard degree playing in the NBA would probably develop a lot of fans in Taiwan. :wink: Realistically even if he signed a contract he wouldn’t see much playing time, but it’s still a nice story.

I’ve been following him for a while. A very classy, talented young man. Gets a lot of racist nonsense and handles it with class. I truly hope he gets to play in the NBA.

Signs a contract with the Golden State Warriors. Could have been a much bigger story if he had taken the deal from the Lakers, but he gets to sign with his hometown team who he grew up cheering for. I hope he has a long and productive NBA career!

And the 2:00pm ICRT news today said he will be coming to play in Yao Ming’s charity match tomorrow night.

He’s an American of Taiwanese ancestry.

Born and bred in the US.

that means he’s
A GLORY OF TAIWAN!!!

What a fucking CROCK! Suckered in by the daft fucktards in the Taiwanese media.

Can’t wait to see him caught like a deer in the headlights when he arrives at the airport. “Where the FUCK AM I? Who the FUCK are these crazy orientals?” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Born and bred in the US.

that means he’s
A GLORY OF TAIWAN!!!

What a fucking CROCK! Suckered in by the daft fucktards in the Taiwanese media.

Can’t wait to see him caught like a deer in the headlights when he arrives at the airport. “Where the FUCK AM I? Who the FUCK are these crazy orientals?” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:[/quote]

No, I think he’s been here before (not “returned here” or “been back here” as many people would say, incorrectly).

I had the pleasure of being at a small invite only Yao Monster headphones launch party today. Elva is beside Mr. Yao Ming.

Interesting article about both China and Taiwan…er…Chinese Taipei wanting Lin to play for them in international competition. The article says he already signed with Taiwan, but his agent says the decision hasn’t been made yet. Not like China was ever a realistic choice since they wanted him to give up his US citizenship.

My Chinese sucks so I can’t read the article, but Google translate does a surprisingly passable job.

sports.sina.com.cn/cba/2010-07-2 … 8133.shtml

Damn, but he must need to get his suits tailored! And who’s the wee fatty on the right?
“Yeah, you might be tall, but EYE have a fucking SEGWAY all of my very very own! Eat THAT, you ball-bouncing mofo!”

The guy on the right is the CEO of the Monster Cable/headphones company.
His name is Noel Lee.

According to the internets they’re a bit of douchebag company due to their tendency to sue every other company with the word “monster” in their name.
They were doing a product launch for some new Yao branded headphones.

Heh! I use Monster cables. Therefore it was ME who (partially) funded his daft wee rolling toy. More fool me! :blush: :laughing:

Yeah, the Segway was pretty funny.
I’m not sure if he “needed” it or he’s just a bit eccentric.