NCKU CLC vs. ICLP

Hello everyone!

After finishing my undergraduate degree this year, I’m planning on coming to Taiwan to further my Mandarin studies. I’m debating between ICLP and the CLC at NCKU. I know that these two programs are very different and that Taipei and Tainan are quite different in terms of atmosphere and infrastructure, but that doesn’t necessarily intimidate me; I just want to know what will be better for my Chinese skill-set.

I’ve studied Mandarin for three years now, and I would say that my reading and writing are more or less at an intermediate level and my speaking and listening comprehension are unfortunately at a lower intermediate level (it’s hard to find language exchanges in my home country!).

I would love to hear everyone’s input - thank you!

Learning Chinese is a marathon, so you have to pace yourself but blowing too much money might end your journey too soon. Get yourself to a point where you can teach yourself and then stop giving others your money, and discipline yourself to study daily. I’d say choice of a significant other who will help you for free is the more important concern. If a girlfriend shows little patience in teaching you, find another. ICLP is expensive. Think twice