Near collision at Taoyuan Airport

Oh, well, happens in the best of families. Just last weekend they were showing a case at LAX bewteen a passenger jet and a smaller aircraft on National Geographic.*

[quote]A Ukrainian cargo plane nearly collided with a Singapore Airlines passenger flight at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport on July 15 because of a mistake by a trainee air controller, reports said Thursday.
The latest incident comes amid a wave of complaints and reports of problems at Taiwan’s main airport ranging from leaking restrooms to staff quarrels and misbehavior.

The Ukrainian Antonov AN-24 freight plane was moving forward as it received an order to wait until the Singapore Airlines flight carrying more than 200 people had taken off. However, the Ukrainian pilot reportedly misunderstood the order “hold short of runway 05” as “cross runway 05,” or exactly the opposite.

As the cargo plane moved forward, another air traffic controller saw the danger and ordered it to speed up so it could be out of the way when the Singapore plane started taking off.

The planes came to within 1,100 meters of each other, reports said, or 11 seconds away from a collision.

The investigation into the incident showed that the first air traffic controller should have made certain that the Ukrainian pilot had understood his order and also used visual contact or radar to confirm the plane’s position.

The controller, who had been working at the control tower for only one year, was moved to another department after receiving psychological counseling, reports said.

The presence of two planes on the same landing strip violated the most basic rules, said airport official Chien Yuan-lin.

[/quote]
etaiwannews.com/etn/news_con … ety_TAIWAN

*EDIT:
this fatal collision killed 20 something in the smaller aircraft and quite a bit more in the larger one. My flippant tone is a bit sarcastic.

1,000+ meter sounds a long distance to me considering both planes were on the ground at the time. What shitty reporting and editing. There would only have been danger if the SIA plane was already rolling for take-off, but the article doesn’t bother including that fact.
And WTF is a “landing strip”?

[quote=“monkey”]1,000+ meter sounds a long distance to me considering both planes were on the ground at the time. What shitty reporting and editing. There would only have been danger if the SIA plane was already rolling for take-off, but the article doesn’t bother including that fact.
And WTF is a “landing strip”?[/quote]
1000 meters is NOT a long distance, even on the ground, everything about ATC is protecting the buffer zones and not getting anywhere NEAR violation of protected zones, as one breakdown in the system could trigger another and another until you wind up with a pile of twisted steel. ATC rightfully takes runway incursions extremely extremely seriously (when they’re reported), as they should. Take a look at what the controller did (in the article) - it’s not an accident, it is a failure to execute their tower duties of visually verifying the pilot followed the clearance correctly. The fact that it was only 1000m and the Singapore flight hadn’t begun its roll has little or no bearing on the human error that occurred - in other words, it was almost entirely pure luck that nothing worse happened.

[edit] agree about your comment on the lousy reporting and use of the term “landing strip”, and the TW news has been known to exaggerate and outright bullshit about aviation issue in the past - even the recent “dismissals and retirements” mentioned in the articles are mostly political shows and have no basis on the problems with TW aviation

[edit2] just checked to see if anyone actually uses the term “landing strip” for the various runway zones - we certainly don’t - and I thought you might like to see the top 6 google results:

Exactly. The distance is irrelevant, it’s the breach of operating procedures that is important.

I’m glad that they are getting some criticism for real problems like this rather than bullshit about beef noodles for a change.

Uhhh … I don’t dispute the fact that ATC and the pilot screwed up. I only question why the article said “nearly collided” but didn’t actually mention whether the SIA plane was taking off at the time or was holding. Seems to be a pretty important point.

Wonderful. Makes a nervous (and frequent flier) feel just great to read this sort of news. Add to this the news of dickhead billionaires in China who prefer to pay the fine for flying without filing a flight plan rather than waiting for approval from the ATC for a pre-arranged flight and I think I’m going to be drinking copious amounts of grog on my next flight (takes off at 7am).

If you knew the full story of what goes on, not even 12 hours of general anethesia would convince you to get on a plane in these parts. Try the Kinmen-mainland ferry. To be fair, I wouldn’t fly out of most of mainland either… or Indonesia, Laos, or Thailand - only HK, Singapore, Korea (ugh), Japan, and maybe VN - it’s all these buffer zones (separation requirements and op procedures) that are the only thing preventing regular catastrophe, that’s why the 1000m isn’t nearly as small as you might think.

airliners.net/aviation-forum … n/4903348/

tw.nextmedia.com/animation/index … 9/sec_id/5

Seems the cargo jet was told to hold short but mistook the command to cross the runway. The controller did not realize this had happened and cleared the Spore flight to take off. Another controller then realized the danger and asked the cargo jet to hurry and cross the runway because of the danger.

The first controller shouldnt have allowed take off of the SQ jet before confirming the position of the cargo jet it looks like.

In 2007, I was on board a Cathay flight to HK when the aircraft started to taxi out onto the runway. I could see from my window that there was an aircraft on finals, but from my perspective I thought it was landing on the other parallel runway. As we commenced the takeoff roll and built up speed, the aircraft suddenly veered onto the high speed taxiway away from the main runway. We were told by the captain that we would had to abort the takeoff due to technical difficulties.
It dawned on me immediately what had happened, and about 8 hours later after checking pprune, a pilot networking site, my assertions were correct, it transpired that TaoYuan ATC had cleared my flight to take off and an EVA to land, completely F@cking up spacing. It resulted in the EVA making a sharp go-around and my aircraft swervimg into the layby with hot brakes.
A brief search of Taiwan news on the net revealed nothing. Obviously, I wasn’t in Taiwan to see the TV news but I don’t think it was generally reported. I imagine a lot of mistakes at TaoYuan get swept under the perimeter fence.

More common then you may think:

youtube.com/watch?v=2apaHICicss

same thing happened to me on a flight to seoul kimpo on KAL once.
PLane in front had not managed to vacate the runway yet.

There is a thin veneer of rules, standards, operational procedures, and training that hides incompetency, unprofessionalism, laziness, and bad management. To be fair, this happens all over Asia (and elsewhere) - unfortunately, it is happening in THIS part of Asia, where most of us live.

The media is partially complicit - they sometimes go berserk when nothing was wrong (like at Songshan a couple years ago with someone who had snapped a photo that made it look like a landing flight and a taxiing aircraft were real close to one another - they were not) or when it has nothing to do with ATC (like the current “scandal” over the nookie party at the airport - nothing to do with ATC, yet head have rolled); at the same time, there are plenty of cases where they underreport or don’t report events - probably due to friends in or pressure from the government.

I have a buddy who flies for a local airline. When the CAA releases it’s incident report I will post a précis.

Or a summary would be OK too…
:whistle:

If any of us knew even a little bit of some of the crazy shit that goes on at airports around the world on a week to week basis, I doubt any of us would get on a plane to fly.

If any of us knew even a little bit of some of the crazy shit that goes on at airports around the world on a week to week basis, I doubt any of us would get on a plane to fly.[/quote]
Or from what rumors I’ve heard, the high-speed rail for that matter…

I’m not sure what a précis is but it sounds delicious.